Rit dye for yj carpet? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rit dye for yj carpet?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Got alot of people PMing me about getting the carpet if I get rid of it.

For now I am throwing around both ideas, im totally broke atm but the idea of having something with herculiner looks cool.

I dont do much offroading as this is a daily driver but I do occasionally go mudding, dont exactly have the tires for that though.

I will try the rit dye in an unseen area and see how it looks, got ALOT of work to do on the inside, herculiner sounds great but may be TO much work, im moving in a month and wont have any of the tools to take stuff apart so if I get it, it will need to be done soon.

Unread 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #17
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I do not think the dye will work due to the carpet being fully synthetic.. You have to paint it with fabric paint or just enamel spray paint may work.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
I do not think the dye will work due to the carpet being fully synthetic.. You have to paint it with fabric paint or just enamel spray paint may work.
I agree totally. I work for a detail shop and we do all sorts of interior dyeing. Floor mats, carpets, fabric seats, leather restoration, and so on. What we have leaned over the years is some vehicles have what we call 'Plasticrap'. The definition of Plasticrap is any type of synthetic/polymer/non-organic carpet of fabric. These are the types of fabric are very difficult to vaccum and you cant even scrub with a machine because the friction of the scrubbing action will melt the fibers and leave you one very unhappy customer. (and probably an insurance claim to boot.)

My suggestion to you would be take the best of both worlds. Remove the carpet. Clean and restore it, and Herculiner/Rhinoline the tub. I understand the money is tight as it is with everyone in the country right now, but take your time now and do it right...you will save yourself mucho headaches later down the pike.

See if these steps can help you out.

-Remove Carpet. Carefully!! Unbolt what you have to. Move what you have to. The idea here is to remove the carpet in one piece. If you have to use a looseing agent on the hardware (ie: WD40, PB Blaster, Ect.) don't worry about getting it on the carpet. We'll touch on how to remove it later.

-Vacuum and Prep tub. Remove all of the drain plugs. Set these aside. Go through and vac out the tub the best you can. Then take a stiff wire brush and remove all of the loose debris that you can. Re-vac. Now, go over the entire tub with 100 grit sand paper. Don't try to make shiny metal every where, that's overkill. Just knock the surface down so it's smooth. Re-vac again. Take isopropyl alcohol (availible from any drug store...super cheap and works better than Naptha as a surface prep agent.) and wipe the entire tub down.

-Install Herculiner or Rhinoliner as per manufactuers instructions. Allow to dry.

-Carpet time! Now I know you stated that you wanted a black carpet instead of a green one....but hey, go for a black a green theme on your Jeep. Be cost effective, and save the money for other things. Here is what my buddy and I did to my carpet, with dazzeling results. I have a tan carpet. 20 years of dirt, grime, mold and 1 quart of 10W-30 spilled in the back by the tailgate. I thought this thing was shot beyond repair. So I didn't mind experimenting on it. We pulled the whole carpet out, layed it on a clean concrete floor. We didn't even bother vacuuming it. We used a gallon of Purple Power (a strong alkali degreeser availible from most any auto parts store. Simple green would also work.) We poured 1 gallon degresser into a five gallon bucket and filled the rest up with very hot water. The key here is the hot water. We hosed the carpet down with a straight stream to remove most of the debris. Take a stiff brush (we used those brushes from Home Depot that you can put on the end of a pole. I believe that they are called deck brushes.) and the degreesing mixture and scrub the heck out of this thing. Don't be stingy with the cleaner either. Use the whole five gallons if you need to....and fair warning: There will be suds every-freakin-where!! We scrubbed this thing for about twenty minutes, let it dwell for about tem minutes, and scrubbed it for another twenty minutes. And then rinsed them. I found that if you hang the carpets in the air, we used a large A-frame ladder and some pieces of wood spanning the middle, you can rinse all of the degreeser out fairly quickly. just keep them in the same spot to dry. The fact that the carpets are 'Plasticrap' make them dry pretty quickly in the sun.

Before you attempt dyeing or painting the carpet, give this a try. You may like the results...and if you don't you just made the carpet very clean for whatever you choose to do.
Squamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #19
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I appreciate the help and advice all, im going to use "fabric" paint, herculiner will have to wait until I have money and time to put into this.

If I got one I wouldnt need the other, im wanting to replace this purely cosmetic, theres nothing wrong with it other than its faded and looks like a 16year old carpet!

Thanks for saving me from the Rit. My tub is pretty much free of rust I am happy to say and I dont plan on getting much water in there(though it does happen when riding through streams). So I dont need BOTH herculiner and carpet, kinda defeats the purpose.

Also the green/black wouldnt work at all. My profile shows a green jeep but its actually a white/grey outside with red stripes(jurassic park jeep) so I dont want to have to many different colors going, plus again the reason behind this was to update the look on the inside, everything on the inside was back from 94.

Thanks for the help and will post pictures once we are done.
Unread 05-05-2010, 01:22 AM   #20
SmokeEater522
1993 YJ Wrangler 

NC, i am currently in the process of installing rustoleum bedliner in my 93 sahara, you will be amazed how much better it looks, if you are wanting it for cosmetic, go to wally world and get you a gallon of rustoleum, it is easy to apply, and you can have it done in a couple of days, again, even if just for cosmetic look, you will be much happier with liner over carpet!! good luck in which ever route you go
SmokeEater522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 05:39 AM   #21
Alacran
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I see everyone that has carpet talking about having to remove things in order to take the carpet out. In my Jeep the carpet only covers from in front of the seats forward. It literally take less than 30 secs. to remove it. I'm assuming this is because I have a base model?

Down here mud is definitely not a problem so I like the carpet in, even though I did line the interior.
Alacran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #22
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Funny... I just jumped on here to look for some sources for oem carpet and google lead me here.... I just finished letting the spray in U-pol Rapter spray in liner cure for 2 days and was impressed with the quality and ease of application. It's not as thick as the rhinoliner that I had done professionally before but I think this is almost better for a jeep tub. I know I'll be buying lots more in the future... thinking the interior of my Lund boat. Here are some of the results.... Yes, I'll be covering it with the easily removable OEM carpet to dampen noise and it helps with heat in the winter. I have run with and without carpet in the past.

wrangler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #23
Squamer
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Now that looks good!
Squamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #24
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That looks GREAT! have any pictures of the jeep put back together? I love that military green drab color! Goes well with the black.

Tomorrow I will be doing the interior black, I will TRY and remember my camera just so I can show you all how horrible it looked before and hopefully how much better it does afterwards.
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #25
SmokeEater522
1993 YJ Wrangler 

looks good wrangler76!!!!!
SmokeEater522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #26
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
That looks GREAT! have any pictures of the jeep put back together? I love that military green drab color! Goes well with the black.
Thanks.... I still have the windshield frame and tailgate to spray. Hopefully I'll convince another set of hands to help me lift the roll bars back on tonight. I'll try to post some completed pictures in the forums somewhere. I have a set of KMC Enduro beadlock that I'm looking to get powdercoated this week as well. Then I need to figure out what rubber to run this summer. The picture shows the jeep with DC Fun Countries in the 40x17-15 flavor on 15x12 rims. I'm thinking 37-40's for the summertime..... I know this message was a bit off topic and my appoligies to the OP. I'm really like the Raptor bedliner product and am interested in the idea of dying a set of carpeting. I did buy a new OEM front carpet piece from Collins Bros. for $75 which I think is a great deal for new condition.
wrangler76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.