Rit dye for yj carpet? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Rit dye for yj carpet?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap SkidRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rit dye for yj carpet?

I have stock sahara green carpet, its still in good condition and I have little to no cash to spend on it at the moment. I have not used rit dye before but someone suggested I use it. I want to turn my carpet black as everything else but the seats are now black also.

Must I take the carpet out to do this? How long and how much of a pain is it to remove the carpet and put back in?

I was told just to get a spray bottle, mix the powder with warm water and just clean the carpet as best I can with a shop vac then just spray it on. Wont this come off and rub on shoes clothes and whatever else comes in contact?

Thanks for answering yet another one of my elcheapo questions.

Unread 05-03-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure I'd try it. Consider throwing it away and putting in some Herc, it comes in black and isn't expensive for a gallon--you just gotta put the time in to prep and apply.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:19 PM   #3
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If your going through the trouble of removing the carpet you might as well leave it out in my opinion, makes it easier to clean out when your done playing in mud or just when its dirty. Just pop the drain plugs and put spray it out with a hose.

But the carpet is held on with Velcro and isn't too hard to yank out but its easier with a knife.

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

It can be pretty tough to get the carpet out from around the seat belt anchors without cutting it.

They are usually screwed on over the carpeting and sometimes very hard to get the torx bolts out without stripping them.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
CALUfootball64
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i didnt think any one still kept the carpet
CALUfootball64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I want to get rhino liner put in but that wont happen until atleast winter so im looking for a temporary solution until then, guess i can vacume, spray in a small area and see how it looks.

When I got my jeep a year ago it was fully stock, other than the tires and a few parts to the engine nothing had been replaced or changed so I have been going through trying to make it look better on the inside. Outside was just painted 7 months ago(wow that was alot of work).
Got a new console,switched the gauge lights and has a newer cd player already. I need to paint the inside door panels and dye or replace carpet now!

Thanks for the replies.
Unread 05-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pull the carpet and get Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric paint. I just painted my door panels and tried it on the spice carpet I have. Worked pretty good. The Duplicolor vinyl paint holds up very well. I painted the spice roll bar padding black 2 or 3 yrs ago and it still looks good. Doesn't rub or crack off. The carpet isn't that bad to remove and install. It takes me maybe a half hour to put it in in the fall if I take my time.
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have seen the Rit Dye used on carpet before.
Vacuum it really well, mix the powder with warm water in a spray bottle, spray it on and use a brush to get it down to the bottom of the fabric. After it dries, put a mixture of 50/50 vinegar and water and spray it on the carpet. Let it dry with the top off or the doors open. It will smell for a day or so like vinegar, but the vinegar makes the dye colorfast itself to the carpet. That will prevent it from coming off if it gets wet.
The carpet comes out fairly easily. You have to loosen the seat belt bolts but it is not that difficult. Ive taken mine and my son's out and put it back in. Rhino liner is great, but the carpet keeps the road noise down better. I recommend doing both for where you live.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #9
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The vineger solution sounds legit (my wife is very into fabrics), but IMO... Whether it be rubber mats or Herculiner or both - Pitch the rug and never look back. I sure don't miss that musty smell or having to wipe my feet.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 09:27 PM   #10
prflyer
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have worked with RIT dye, and it needs to soak in order for the color to adhere, for a small Judo Belt it needed to soak for close to 2 hours, so I can only imagine for the carpet, not sure if worth it.
prflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:06 AM   #11
ncreptile
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Now that I see how cheap heculiner is(looks like I could do it all for under $50) im seriously thinking of just doing that.

Anyone know how much work is involved? I repainted my jeep so I know how the cleaning/prep goes but will I have to remove the clutch and wires in the tub? I understand of course the seats will have to be removed but im not good with repairing wires so thats something I dont want to do.
Is this a project I could complete in a couple days?

It looks REALLY good so..
Thanks for the replies.
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #12
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI All,
I can understand why there is so much hate towards carpet. I don't feel the same way at all. My '89 Islander still has the original grey carpet and it still looks good. I have never been tempted to remove my carpeting. I like the way it looks and feels, I like the sound deadening and I like the heat insulation which is needed with my soft top. IOW, I think the carpeting is both nice looking AND functional. I'm not one who thinks a Jeep must look like a WWII leftover in order to be a Jeep.

Don't you think that keeping or dumping depends on the type of wheeling you do? If I were in the mud all the time I'm sure the carpet would be gone. But I HATE mud and avoid it as much as possible. Here in New Mexico, most of the the trails I frequent are dry. NO mud, at least not often. When I see pictures of your mud pits in the East and South, I shudder. I feel lucky that my trails are dry, rocky, sandy, and beautiful. I have never had to pull the drain plugs or use a hose on the inside. Lucky me. A shop Vac gets the job done.

So, when you advise someone to "dump the carpet", I think you should give some thought to how their Jeep is used. To make a general statement like that is just being self-serving, close minded and unthinking.

I'm keeing my carpet, thank you.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:16 AM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of having carpeting over a bedliner for winter months for sound deadening and insulation to keep the little stock heater from running wide open all the time.
I have a hard top and steel doors for winter months,so i am going to purchase carpeting for the winter setup to go over the bedliner in my tub.

I used the duplicolor fabric paint on several vehicles on carpeting,but that was vehicles i bought to sell for a profit,so don't really know how long it lasted and i didn't change color of the carpeting.so also don;t know how well that works.
If the rits works even better,then i'd go for it because the duplicolor worked great in my case but there was ALOT of cleaning and work taking the seats and consoles etc out to do it right.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #14
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
Now that I see how cheap heculiner is(looks like I could do it all for under $50) im seriously thinking of just doing that.

Anyone know how much work is involved? I repainted my jeep so I know how the cleaning/prep goes but will I have to remove the clutch and wires in the tub? I understand of course the seats will have to be removed but im not good with repairing wires so thats something I dont want to do.
Is this a project I could complete in a couple days?

It looks REALLY good so..
Thanks for the replies.
There is a good string on what it involves in the FAQ, look up the DIY Herculiner, I have a thread with photos as well I can link in if you like. I took out more stuff than you really need to so I could go up high on the firewall. Main things that come out--seatbelts, seats, rear seat mount, rollbar, etc. Your results depend on your prep really.

In FAQ http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...nswers-532873/

My old thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...uliner-564782/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
So, when you advise someone to "dump the carpet", I think you should give some thought to how their Jeep is used. To make a general statement like that is just being self-serving, close minded and unthinking.
His Profile says NC, so I'm guessing it's not a desert. As far as me being self-serving, close minded and unthinking... yeah, probably.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.