riped door - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > riped door

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-10-2002, 11:46 AM   #1
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

riped door

when i bought my jeep it had a little crack in the drivers's door on the inside just under the window style....
when i open the triagle window (i'm a smoker so its open alot... sew me if you want) it starts ratheling like hell because the style has to mutch moving space.
i was wondering if this could be welded in some way ( i know it would still show, but the prob should be solved then, and that's what mathers to me. i know this is probably a lot of work ( taking of all glass wheatherstrips ect, but thats no prob, i need to change the strips anyway....
any comments or sugestions are most welcome

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:19 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have the exact same crackin' in my doors (both sides) .. now that I own a mig welder, I am going to spend some time getting to know it better

I would say, strip the door down, weld it, polish it, and then repaint it .. its only time and a little money
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 02:06 PM   #3
93jeepyj2.5

If its the same crack im thinking about, then I have it too, on both of my doors.

-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:14 PM   #4
Lab Rat

Yup, me too. In fact, I'm not even sure that it would help. It might crack again. I live with mine and put in a little touch up paint in the cracks now and then to keep the rust monster away.

This is why the TJs doors are so much beefier.
Lab Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 05:30 PM   #5
monkeywrench

Re: riped door

Quote:
Originally posted by MugZy_YJ_94
when i bought my jeep it had a little crack in the drivers's door on the inside just under the window style....
when i open the triagle window (i'm a smoker so its open alot... sew me if you want) it starts ratheling like hell because the style has to mutch moving space.
i was wondering if this could be welded in some way ( i know it would still show, but the prob should be solved then, and that's what mathers to me. i know this is probably a lot of work ( taking of all glass wheatherstrips ect, but thats no prob, i need to change the strips anyway....
any comments or sugestions are most welcome
jamie 92 yj 4 1/2 RE extream duty 2 body 35-12.50-15 4.56 arb frt rr yorkair warn 9000 zenon flares tomken tire rack 4.0 borla header magnaflow exhaust flexes awsome CURRIE 9INCH HIGH PINION IN THE REAR WITH DISC BRAKES ITS SHAVED TO just added TERA LOW 4 TO 1 TRANSFER CASE KIT
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 05:34 PM   #6
monkeywrench

doors

sorry dont know how i posted sombody elses ad under my name sorry again
my drivers door is crackes also i use a drill and rivets 2 of them still holding 11 months later
be carefull of what is behind the drill bit like lock latch class ecc thanks jamie
jamie 92 yj 4 1/2 RE extream duty 2 body 35-12.50-15 4.56 arb frt rr yorkair warn 9000 zenon flares tomken tire rack 4.0 borla header magnaflow exhaust flexes awsome CURRIE 9INCH HIGH PINION IN THE REAR WITH DISC BRAKES ITS SHAVED TO just added TERA LOW 4 TO 1 TRANSFER CASE KIT
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 05:57 PM   #7
95yjman

Oh.. see yall just dont know the redneck way of fixing everything... JB WELD.. if jb weld cant fix it.. NOTHING CAN

livin proof a friend of mine used some JB on a cracked block.. (small pin hole) and got another 30k miles out of it ..
95yjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:49 PM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you check the TopTruckChallenge in FourWheeler magazine, my friend Tim (Tim's Toy) JB welded his beast together when it got busted during the competition .. and he still came in #6 overall ..

JB Weld .. don't leave home without it!

Unread 10-11-2002, 04:12 AM   #9
MugZy_YJ_94
ka-mai

2004 KJ Liberty 

ok its seems this is a common prop....
i considered patching it whit a plate and revets as well, but i don't want it show that mutch, so what i was thinking was welding it en then put new interior on both doors ( the one that go's to the top of the door, that would cover everyting up) becous the previous owner cut holes in them to put speakers in.
and they are in the way, and they are disconnected anyway to take the doors of in summer, the stock dashspeakers are enough for me....

Now in the soccer mum class. Missing the YJ, but the KJ isn't bad...for now.
black jeepclub #35
MugZy_YJ_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 07:33 AM   #10
stephen

i'm pretty sure this issue has come up before, and the consensus seemed to be that the craking was from the doors swaying int he wind caused by cruising down the highway with the top down. there isn't any sort of a housing to hold the upperportion of the doors in place (but, as pointed out above, there is in the tj...apperently jeep recognized the problem). not really a solution, but probably a fairly accurate explaination
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 11:39 AM   #11
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the cracks too...but look what I found:

http://forums.vmag.com/pm-1199b/messages/2209.html

Quote:

Quote:
Lange Enterprises of Salt Lake City makes a seal kit for the Jeep Hard Top. It's about $50. Leon Rosser and 4WD Hardware also sell these kits You can duplicate the same thing by:

1. Buy some 1 X 3/8" sticky back foam seal. It can be found in your local hardware store for sealing doors and windows.
2. Mark on the inside of the top of the windshield frame where the hardtop lip rests.
3. Raise the Hardtop off the tub.... if you need a hoist, look here for plans:

http://vanevery.homestead.com/HardtopHoist.html

4. Roll out the sticky back seal onto the top of the tub lip, including the rear corners and the top of the tailgate.
5. Put some foam accross the winshield frame right at the line you drew in step 1.
6. Put some foam down the windshield frame where the front door upper frame mates against the winshield frame. When the doors close the windshield frame
should not move, but the door frame should crush up agains the foam. Pay careful attention to the area of the top front corner. You may have to add a second layer of foam here... You do not want to see daylight between the frames. If you see daylight, it's a place cold air can enter.
7. Remove the hard door decorative panels and look at the windbreak stuck onto the frame of the door. If it is worn, broken, cracked, or peeling, replace it with
heavy mylar and some good old Duct tape. An example of this can be found at:

http://vanevery.homestead.com/ReskinPct.html

8. Now the windbrake has been inspected put some foam around the window crank, door lever and the locking mecanics (on new style doors). This keeps wind
from blowing against the door and causing side drafts.
9. Allign the Hard Doors! This is important, by slamming hard doors to get them to close, you'll fracture the door. If the sill has cracks under the wing window... you can repair it, go to:

http://vanevery.homestead.com/Sillrepair.html

If you need allignment instructions, let me know.
10. Inspect the Harddoor fram seal, replace it if you need to..
These are some hints about putting your hardtop on - but take a look at number #9 - could that be something there??

-Alheim
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 11:45 AM   #12
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When I click on the link provided in #9, I get "page no longer there" message .. can you verify the link at all?

Unread 10-11-2002, 01:37 PM   #13
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by NaeKid
When I click on the link provided in #9, I get "page no longer there" message .. can you verify the link at all?
Yeah - the link doesn't work. But I've never even heard of "aligning" a door. What could that be?
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 04:28 PM   #14
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

When I decided to replace the stock painted hinges with the stainless ones, I had to make sure the door was hung straight, that the door-pin and door latch matched properly .. it was a bit of a convoluted mess .. but I got it working perfectly

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.