Ring and Pinion set - who to choose? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ring and Pinion set - who to choose?

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 11-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ring and Pinion set - who to choose?

I'm looking to upgrade from 3:07's to 4:10's. The problem is, I have no clue about ring/pinion manufacturers. I'm tempted to go with Crown as they make the OEM replacement, but I just don't know.

Insight from those who've done it on brands, options, quality?

Thanks.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

since you haven't done any upgrade to the rear axle yet and you want to go to a factory available ratio, why not just swap your complete existing axles out for a set of factory 4:10's from a 4cyl equipped YJ
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
since you haven't done any upgrade to the rear axle yet and you want to go to a factory available ratio, why not just swap your complete existing axles out for a set of factory 4:10's from a 4cyl equipped YJ
While I can appreciate the sentiment, I know my axles are good and I've got a few buddies who know how to do gears - properly. I see no value in replacing good axles with unknown axles from a bone yard when I can get ring/pinion sets for the same money or less than complete axles.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I can understand your concern, but can't really recommend spending much money on the D35...by the time you buy the gears, bearings, and seals then whatever the cost of the install/set up, it would probably cost about the same to freshen up a JY acquired 4:10 equipped Explorer 8.8 with disc brakes and you would end up with a much stronger axle in the end
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.