Right rear body mount, where's the nut? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Right rear body mount, where's the nut?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

View Poll Results: I should not have checked poll.
trying to get out of this 0 0%
I don't know how to delete it. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
icfman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Right rear body mount, where's the nut?

I'm a new jeep owner: I had to remove the Right rear body mount to install a new spring shackle kit. After getting the shakle kit reinstalled. I tried to replace the mounting bolt, but what ever the bolt was originally threaded into can not be found. It appear to me the "nut" is inside a boxed in area with no way of getting inside! AND maybe I'm the "nut" because I can not see something that is obvious to everyone else. Thanks!

right-rear-body-mount-2.jpg  
icfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You have to cut an access hole. The nutsert has lost its purchase on the body and it is spinning on the bolt.

Cut a tee-shaped hole - an upside-down tee. The bottommost horizontal cut should be about a half inch or more from the bottom edge of the body, then about a half inch high. Once that is done, you can see inside and judge if and how much to cut for enough vertical clearance to get tools inside.

When you put it back together, plenty of neverseize on the threads and spray lithium grease all over the inside of the cavity.

Then, cut a patch to cover the hole and rivet it in place so you can easily get in there again next time. Weld the patch back in if you want the body to look mint.

Some guys try this repair from underneath and feel free to do it that way if you prefer.

Just remember that regardless of how you cut a slot for access, you want to be well above the inner floor that the nutsert sits on. Otherwise you will booger up your tub.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
icfman
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, this jeep world is something else! At least I wasn't overlooking something!
icfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by icfman View Post
Thanks, this jeep world is something else! At least I wasn't overlooking something!
NP. Looking at the picture you posted, you can start by using a hole saw to drill a 1" hole. This lets you see inside to figure out how much you need to remove to get your tools in there.

The hole, vertically, would be on the center line of the body mount.

Horizontally, it would be halfway between the top of the red circle you drew and the bottom edge of your white tub.

Even better, start with a 1/4" hole.

You want to make sure that your access is within the enclosed metal box on the other side; everything is in there but you do not want to mess up the top, side or bottom edges of that enclosed area.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
coolin4u
1993 YJ Wrangler 

remove the plastic from in the whee lwell and cut from the inside,i have even used a chisel to cut the metal,you can access it there and then just seal it up the best you can to keep moisture from causing future rust,replace the plastic in the wheel well and no one will ever see you were in there
coolin4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.