RFC: Jack Stand Placement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RFC: Jack Stand Placement

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 04-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
GreatWhiteMoth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

RFC: Jack Stand Placement

From the perspective of trying to work as safely as possible, where are the best places to put jack stands? Are there different spots when doing different kinds of work? I have been looking at 24" stands, are these safe enough or should I look at something a little lower?

thanks in advance for any comments.

GreatWhiteMoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

24" stands work great. You can place them just inboard of the spring hangers on the frame for axle work/spring work.

For just general lifting of the rig, I like to go right on the axle tubs in the rear and right under the spring plates in the front.

You can easily put the whole rig in the air using the axles, but I don't like having the whole thing lifted just by the frame inboard of the inner spring hangers. If I do that, I also put a stand under the bumper.

Also, a good jack point is the rear pumpkin and the front axle tube just to the pass side of the pumpkin.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Another thing I do when supporting it under the axles is to leave the wheels and tires on if you can and work on one side at a time.

That way if it does fall, it won't fall all the way to the ground and crush you. It will fall on the tires and give you a chance of surviving.

If I take a wheel and tire off to work on the axle or something, I lay the wheel and tire on the ground under the drum or rotor so that it falls on it instead of all the way to the ground. Try and keep body parts from between what you are working on and the ground.

I also leave my floor jack under the pumpkin or axle tube when up on the jack stands if possible.
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
GreatWhiteMoth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I am totally down with that whole not getting crushed thing.

So in general, you should do all 4 jack stands only if the specific task requires it?
GreatWhiteMoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on what I'm doing I'll put the jack stands on the frame where Rusty mentioned or if I need a wheel up I'll put it on the axle itself. Putting them on the frame allows the suspension to droop in case you need to do some suspension work. I generally use a minimum 2 jack stands and I'll place a tire(s) behind a wheel(s) as a chalk just for peace of mind. I'll even put one behind a wheel and the other under the jeep just a buffer in case it falls for some reason.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteMoth View Post
Yeah, I am totally down with that whole not getting crushed thing.

So in general, you should do all 4 jack stands only if the specific task requires it?
Yes.

Only put the whole rig off the ground if you need to for some reason.
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Yes.

Only put the whole rig off the ground if you need to for some reason.
It has to do more with the wheel base than anything else. Because the jeep is so short, when you put it on 4 stands from the frame it gets wobbly.

An example would be my brothers Tundra. I have no issues putting it on four stands to the frame because it is soldly balanced.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.