RFC: Bumpers, Side Steps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > RFC: Bumpers, Side Steps

Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-07-2010, 09:36 AM   #1
GreatWhiteMoth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

RFC: Bumpers, Side Steps

So somewhere down the road I am looking to replace my bumpers and add some side steps/nerf bars or whatever they are called. I have been looking at tubular designs primarily. I may want to put a winch on later, and I may want to do some light towing as well. Think pulling a lawnmower on a small trailer for about 10 miles.

I want to have a consistent look all around, both tube size and finish.

Any thoughts/comments on the following would be greatly appreciated:
  • Any reason NOT to go with the tubular design?
  • What manufacturers should I look into? Stay away from?
  • Are the integrated tow hitches a waste of time for what I am looking in to?
  • Nerf bars - are bolt-on OK? Just looking for a step up and some minor protection.
  • If a manufacturer offers different models, what features in particular should I look for? Stay away from?

Again, thanks in advance for any input.

GreatWhiteMoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

Never been a fan of nerf bars... They mount to the frame, and normally bend pretty easily, actually damaging the body when they get knocked up from a rock, etc. I'd go with a rocker guard. It bolts onto the body, get a side step welded on and you get what you're looking for... Plus you get actual protection. You can even get some with frame tie-ins for added strength.

For rocker guards, I'd suggest AtoZ Fabrication. Top notch quality and Zach is great to deal with.

Never been a huge fan of tube bumpers... And never had any real experience with them... I'll say that my AtoZ bumpers have held up great for the past few years though.
Unread 04-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
GreatWhiteMoth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So I am getting confused by some of the terminology here then. Most of what I see listed as "side steps" online are what I would also call nerf bars. Basically a tube or bar that is attached to the frame, with a step area incorporated. What exactly is the difference between a side step and a nerf bar?
Unread 04-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #4
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Look at the smittybilt line...for all of the above..ax the nerf bars and get the rock sliders with bars...they all look great and great value for the $$$
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
GreatWhiteMoth
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Bump. Anyone else have any thoughts?
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I personally don't like the looks of any of the traditional tube style bumpers or nerf bars. For the price the smittybilt XRC line is pretty good and decent looking I think. (Smittybilt XRC Armor | Tube Fenders | Jeep Corner Guards | Jeep Rock Sliders) It boils down to,,,, it's your Jeep and your money, get what you like. If you're not going to be playing around in any big rocks a nerf bar would probably work just fine for you, especially since you seem to only really be looking for a step.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.