Rewiring charging system?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rewiring charging system??

I just put a new battery in my 92 (2.5 stock alt) and I had the alt checked before I did the battery and it checked good. The problem is still the same, voltmeter reads low when running.

Just got back from Advance Auto (good guys) and according to their little black box, the alt isn't getting the charge to the battery and I am wondering if the alt is still good, could I rewire the charging system straight from the alt to the battery or does that bypass the regulator function of the PCM?

In time I will be going to a bigger (136 amp) alternator so this is something that would have to be done anyway??

Not the sharpest bulb in the box....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 12-17-2013, 06:03 PM
superj

I think you have to stay wired in your current set up. What does a digital multimeter read at your battery when the jeep is running?

I don't feel like working on anything at this time so i sold my yj.
post #3 of 37 Old 12-17-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Finally broke down and got a multimeter and found the directions "lacking" but I did find a youtube video to check for resistance from the alt to the battery. Gonna give that a whirl tomorrow and see whats up. I was just wondering if it was the wiring, if I could upgrade to bigger cables so when the little 72 amp alt does bite the dust, I would be able to pretty much just bolt in the bigger one??

post #4 of 37 Old 12-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can't just bolt on the bigger one exactly.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...07/?highlight=

Luck Favours The Prepared
post #5 of 37 Old 12-17-2013, 08:00 PM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker View Post
I just put a new battery in my 92 (2.5 stock alt) and I had the alt checked before I did the battery and it checked good. The problem is still the same, voltmeter reads low when running.

Just got back from Advance Auto (good guys) and according to their little black box, the alt isn't getting the charge to the battery and I am wondering if the alt is still good, could I rewire the charging system straight from the alt to the battery or does that bypass the regulator function of the PCM?

In time I will be going to a bigger (136 amp) alternator so this is something that would have to be done anyway??
Yes you can do this.
There are alot of good write ups on how to do it. Here is one of them.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...ccess-1424780/
Most go to a bigger alternator but I see now reason why you could not do it with the stock one.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 Old 12-17-2013, 09:02 PM
Raindem
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Before dumping money into bigger alternators and cables, check the basics. 1) Check & clean all grounds, especially battery to block 2) Check alternator wiring for breaks and good connections 3) Measure your voltage drop 4) Check for ground voltage, which would indicate a short somewhere 5) Read the running battery voltage with your new multimeter and compare to the gauge 6) Read the running battery voltage with different accessories turned on and off.

If it ain't broke... break it.
post #7 of 37 Old 12-17-2013, 09:44 PM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You can run a cable straight from the battery positive terminal and the alternator batt+ terminal. However, you will be bypassing the fuse setup, so you need to add a fuse in the cable. An ANL fuse close to the battery will work well. http://www.donrowe.com/category-s/1845.htm

Search for "Big 3 upgrade". It is what the obnoxious stereo people do and one part of it is the fused cable from the battery to the alternator.

Not sure because mine is earlier set up differently, but I think there are two fuses in the fusebox under your hood for the battery/alternator connection. One could be blown and causing your problem.
post #8 of 37 Old 12-18-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Was looking at the link Anti provided (I got to see pics to really get it) and I like the parts list for it.... Have a question though; would it be better to use Marine cables and terminals? Is tinned copper better/worse/no different than regular copper cable??

I am on the Gulf Coast in SW FL and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a marine supply shop.

post #9 of 37 Old 12-18-2013, 07:19 AM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Was looking at the link Anti provided (I got to see pics to really get it) and I like the parts list for it.... Have a question though; would it be better to use Marine cables and terminals? Is tinned copper better/worse/no different than regular copper cable??

I am on the Gulf Coast in SW FL and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a marine supply shop.
Couldn't hurt. Just make sure you've got the right solder for it.

post #10 of 37 Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Did you diagnose the real problem yet?

I also may be wrong on this but doesn't the ECM regulate the voltage?

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 37 Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

if you upgrade the wire from the alt to the battery also add a wire from the alt mount to the battery-. think of the power sysetm as a big loop if you just do the + side you are only doing half the loop and dont gain anything.
i just did mine and did

alt+ to batt+
batt+ to pdc+
bat+ to custom buss bar
batt- to alt case
bat- to body

yes the ecm does control the alt.
post #12 of 37 Old 12-18-2013, 10:13 AM
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Its not a space shuttle. Welding cable and regular copper lugs are fine.

Marine terminals will make it easier to set up.
post #13 of 37 Old 12-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Anticanman
RIP one good jeeper

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcat400 View Post
if you upgrade the wire from the alt to the battery also add a wire from the alt mount to the battery-. think of the power sysetm as a big loop if you just do the + side you are only doing half the loop and dont gain anything.
i just did mine and did

alt+ to batt+
batt+ to pdc+
bat+ to custom buss bar
batt- to alt case
bat- to body

yes the ecm does control the alt.
Forgot the ground to the block, sir.

post #14 of 37 Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

When was the last time those battery cables got changed? If the Alternator is doing it's job but the voltage won't travel to the battery to charge it up then the wiring is the problem....IF the ECM isn't.

Remove both 6 AWG battery cables. I think the cables are twisted up clockwise.
Twist each one of them counter clockwise as much as is possible without breaking off the battery lug. Then check for a good clean shiny chassis ground on your - battery cable.

Slap them back on your battery and fire the YJ up. What does the gauge say now?

If the reading went up internal corrosion of the battery cables is quite possible.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
post #15 of 37 Old 12-18-2013, 10:27 AM
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Forgot the ground to the block, sir.
i ran a jumper from the alt case to the block.
its all 1/0 hyperflex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.