Revolver Shackles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Revolver Shackles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 05-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #1
RiverCrazy

Revolver Shackles

I have 4" springs with stock 4" shackles. I am thinking that instead of a SOA I would use 6" shackles up front and revolvers in the rear. What are the pro's and con's?

RiverCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, if stock is 4" and you want 6" shackles then your only gaining one inch of lift compaired to the SOAs...what...~3" (unless your planning on going back to stock springs for the SOA). Also the shackles are going to wear your springs a little quicker. You wont remove all that crap hanging down underneath your axle either that you would with an SOA. In my opinion if your not concerned too much with the price (or if those two options are about equal price for you) I would go SOA. You'll never regret it...from what I hear. I dont have it tho

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCrazy
I have 4" springs with stock 4" shackles. I am thinking that instead of a SOA I would use 6" shackles up front and revolvers in the rear. What are the pro's and con's?
what are you trying to accomplish?
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
bayvilleYJ

What are you tryign to do with your rig , we need some more info. regardless of what you are trying to do , i would never run shackles that big.
bayvilleYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #5
RiverCrazy

I thought about SOA but with the non stock 4" springs the heigth would look odd and be to tall. ( 33" tires on it now ) So my idea to get slightly more height and possible increase in articulation was to go with the 6" shackle up front and the revolver for the extra travel in the rear. My concern was how the revolver could effect drive shaft angle and stress.
I am constantly hitting the bottom of both my oil pan and trans. plate.

Suggestions?
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
RiverCrazy

I hate to double post but do any of you have these shackles?
How do they perform and are their any drawbacks.

I appreciate the input.
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
bayvilleYJ

How are you hitting your oil pan and trans? 4 inches of lift is plenty , i had 4 inches and ran 35's , it was perfect , especially if you run a little wider tire , it will be really stable. I havent heard anything good about revolver shackles , plus they are a lot of money. If i were you i would just keep the 4 inch springs and break out the sawzall. You want to keep it as low as possible to clear your tires and adding all those fancey shackles is just more stuff to break. Just my .02.
Unread 05-01-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
RiverCrazy

I am getting a bit to agressive for the vehicle and am in some big rock gardens often. I have been hitting regularly. It may be time for a SOA with some larger tires.
Unread 05-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #9
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am getting a bit to agressive for the vehicle and am in some big rock gardens often. I have been hitting regularly. It may be time for a SOA with some larger tires.
Big Rocks + Bigger Tires + D35 = Carnage

What are you dragging? Axles, skid? I highly recommend a belly-up or tummy tucker skid. Getting the skid up higher is huge. Personally I like to keep the COG as low as possible. I have the minimum lift needed to run 35's well, but with the belly-up I have 20" of ground clearance under the skid.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
bayvilleYJ

I agree 100 percent. If you are going to go SOA I dont see it making sense without swapping axles , if you have to weld new perches and do steering ect. I would just run what you have untill you are ready to do so , or else you are just going to have to do the work twice when you blow the stock axles apart , especially playing in the rocks.
Unread 05-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #11
OhioYJ

If you plan on driving your Jeep, or more importantly if you plan on wheeling your Jeep skip the revolvers.

Anyone else catch the last issue of JP, 10 worst 4x4 inventions, Revolvers made the list, and they had some good pictures of what happens when they unload.
95 YJ: SOA, locked 44, locked 8.8, 37s, beadlocks, OBA, winch, and a few other things. [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/aboutmel.html]My Build-Up Post[/URL] -- [URL=http://www.cdmfabrication.com/kbl.html]SWB FAQ[/URL] -- Mike
OhioYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #12
RiverCrazy

Thanks for the information ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91
Big Rocks + Bigger Tires + D35 = Carnage

What are you dragging? Axles, skid? I highly recommend a belly-up or tummy tucker skid. Getting the skid up higher is huge. Personally I like to keep the COG as low as possible. I have the minimum lift needed to run 35's well, but with the belly-up I have 20" of ground clearance under the skid.
I am hitting the skid plate for the trans. and have hit the oil pan. I always hit the axles.
The belly up that is in your profile is a tera flex. Is this a different skid plate or a lifted plate that requires a revised shaft and SYE ?

Thanks for the response
Unread 05-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
ltdanyj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioYJ
If you plan on driving your Jeep, or more importantly if you plan on wheeling your Jeep skip the revolvers.

Anyone else catch the last issue of JP, 10 worst 4x4 inventions, Revolvers made the list, and they had some good pictures of what happens when they unload.
You know, I like JP magazine, but recently they've been getting more and more assanine... The picture you're talking about it of a jeep standing on it's rear wheels, getting ready to go over... The revolvers on the back have nothing to do with it whatsoever.... If you have revolvers, and you roll your jeep, you would probably have flopped with or without.

Another Jeep magazine, JRations, put them on a project YJ, and had nothing but good things to say....
ltdanyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #14
doug_1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdanyj
You know, I like JP magazine, but recently they've been getting more and more assanine.

I agree with you 100%

I like it now, but its slipping fast.

I've run revolvers for five or six years now. I still run them in the rear. I've never experienced a bad thing with them. Some people have said I haven't had my jeep in bad situations, but I've flopped it a couple of times. I don't blame the shackles though, and I wheel pretty hard.

Doug

Plato
doug_1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2007, 07:41 PM   #15
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am hitting the skid plate for the trans. and have hit the oil pan. I always hit the axles.
The belly up that is in your profile is a tera flex. Is this a different skid plate or a lifted plate that requires a revised shaft and SYE ?

Thanks for the response
Yes, I have the TeraFlex. It almost flat (~ 1/2" drop from the frame). You would need a SYE to run it. But a SYE is a nice upgrade anyways.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.