Reverse rotation Steering box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Reverse rotation Steering box

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
1993bigblueyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Reverse rotation Steering box

I have a wrangler yj that i need a reverse rotation steering box for. Mounts on the inside of the frame not the outside edge. what is a make and model of a car i could use one off of?

1993bigblueyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
n9oig
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the wrangler mount on the inside?
n9oig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
XJ93
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If I'm not mistaken all Wrangler steering boxes mount on the inside.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
jagular7
1997 TJ Wrangler 

All steering boxes rotate the same whether mounted inside or outside the frame. Its all about the rotation of the output shaft, how the pitman arm is designed and attached to the output shaft and how the drag link and tie rod work together. Steering boxes can have the pitman arm face forward of the box, face rearward of the box and some even have the pitman arm designed to be 90* to the box.

There are multiple boxes Jeepers use on their Jeeps to compensate for wheelbase change, frame limitations, front axle swap, suspension interference, etc.

Jagular
Lnxa, KS
97 TJ SE lifted, locked and rubbered for fun
94 YJ SE stock, 225s, Trail Tested
jagular7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
1993bigblueyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, All wranglers mount to the inside, but i need a box that the pitman sticks out the front(reverse rotation). I have found reverse rotation boxes, but they are designed to mount on the outside of the frame. I cannot find a box that will mount to a yj and is reverse rotation. Any suggestions?
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

IIRC Chevy Astro Van is what your looking for.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
1993bigblueyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

4wd or Rwd?
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Astro van box like jsawduste said. But you better be running a big front stretch or you will end up with a goofy drag link angle.
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #9
csmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What yr astro van box will work on a yj? Getting ready to stretch mine with xj springs.

01 wj - 4" zone lift w/ kor 3/4" spacers, 33" km2 on 16" xd working progress but staying mild since it's a dd
csmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #10
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a box out of a late 70's ford fullsize van. Its a standard Saginaw steering box, but the pitman arm stuck out front. I saved it from the van that was going to the junkyard. I pulled the pitman arm off and was going to use it on my fullsize Cherokee. Much to my surprise when I bolted on the jeep pitman arm, it steered backwards!...lol For some reason I saved that steering box.

What have you done to your YJ that you need a box with the pitman arm sticking out forward?

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:50 PM   #11
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmyj View Post
What yr astro van box will work on a yj? Getting ready to stretch mine with xj springs.
i run the astro steering box, i got mine from a 95 , i also run xj springs with ford ranger main leaf added. also, the astro box didnt have much turning radius as i would of liked, so i used a waggy pitman arm and got more steering

94chb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #12
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is there a reason you can't maintain the stock box/pitman arm and just change the side of the knuckle the drag ling attaches to?
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:15 AM   #13
88hatchy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baritone_mike View Post
Is there a reason you can't maintain the stock box/pitman arm and just change the side of the knuckle the drag ling attaches to?
It will steer backwards. steering right would turn left.
88hatchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #14
baritone_mike
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88hatchy View Post
It will steer backwards. steering right would turn left.
If you put the pitman arm on the front of a steering box that turns the same way, same thing happens.

On a stock YJ when you turn the steering wheel right, the pitman arm points towards the passenger side of the Jeep, which pushes the front of the tires to the right.

If the astro box turns the same way with the pitman arm on the front of the box, when you turn the steering wheel right, the pitman arm would point towards the driver's side of the Jeep, which pushes the front of the tires to the left.

On the stock YJ box and the drag link attached to the back of the knuckle, when you turn the steering wheel right, the pitman arm would point to the passenger side, and push the rear of the tires to the right, making the Jeep turn left.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what the Astro box does, because in my head switching the drag link to the other side of the knuckle accomplishes the same thing as the Astro box?
Unread 01-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
csmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94chb View Post
i run the astro steering box, i got mine from a 95 , i also run xj springs with ford ranger main leaf added. also, the astro box didnt have much turning radius as i would of liked, so i used a waggy pitman arm and got more steering

Thanks. I did some more search and found that 87-95 work and so does 97 and up but the have a weaker seal. Also it has to be out of a rwd and not awd. Just a little FYI.

01 wj - 4" zone lift w/ kor 3/4" spacers, 33" km2 on 16" xd working progress but staying mild since it's a dd
csmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.