reverse lights won't turn off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > reverse lights won't turn off

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 08-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

reverse lights won't turn off

Parked my jeep two hrs ago with it n 1st gear. Friend stopped by the house to tell me my lights were on. REVERSE lights only.. Now I can't get them to turn off. so I disconnected the battery. I need help. Thanks

Unread 08-06-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Don't you love it? My voltage drops to about 9-10 volts when I use reverse...Electric fan and headlights doesn't budge the system, but reverse drops 5 volts? ahhhh...

I wonder if your reverse switch on the trans stuck?
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #3
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
Don't you love it?

I wonder if your reverse switch on the trans stuck?
TRUE TRUE...I was thinking the same thing but I don't know where it is or what it looks like.
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

they still are on even with the back up light switch diconnected any thoughts
Unread 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Cooter92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You've either got a hot wire shorted into your back-up light wiring somewhere, or possibly a switch that is hooked into that circuit that is on?
Cooter92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter92YJ View Post
You've either got a hot wire shorted into your back-up light wiring somewhere, or possibly a switch that is hooked into that circuit that is on?
I unplugged the switch and it didnt cut off. so I disconnected the battery then unplugged the switch again and now wahla no problemo.. Switch is bad will get a new one when ever.. Thanks for the help
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The reverse switch was bad, right? mean lookin jeep btw.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstillatwork View Post
The reverse switch was bad, right? mean lookin jeep btw.
Yeah it was the reverse switch.. thanks..I never did a build thread cause when I was building it I wasn't a member but used this site everyday to answer questions I didn't know the answer to. But I have more recent pics on my rockhard sport cage thread you should check em out. Thanks again for the compliment.
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #9
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Ok its not the back up light switch. They cut on again this morning after sitting all night. The switch has been diconnected since 8-9-11.WTF I'm bout to flip out on this BIOTCH. Any help would be greatly apprciated. Right now I'm following all wiring looking for cuts,shorts or anything that just looks wrong.
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #10
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Nobody....GEEEEEZE
Unread 08-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #11
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Now the SOB want even start and I just put in a brand new optima yellow top??????????????????? Where are the Jeep gods when you need em??
Unread 08-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Figured out the ignition problem..Now I need the Jeep Gods to help me fix the reverse light problem.
Unread 08-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #13
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well the Jeep gods are doing their thing, sometimes good, but mostly poltergeists.
OK you found the "switch" and disconnected it. I'm thinking someone wired in a parallel switch to power the B.U. lamps to provide rear lighting, did this once to help see when launching / retrieving a boat.
Open either taillight and check the voltage on the bulb. (after recharging the battery) Then check the BU fuse for voltage, I think it is only hot with the ign on, anyone else have any ideas? Then start looking for add on stuff that you have no idea what it is for.

I no longer have any prints for your model year.
Hope this helps a bit

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Thanks Jim I've followed the wire from the taillights to dash. Through the dash and then to the reverse switch. Switch is still diconnected..The only common I can find is that is does it when its raining. I know that sounds stupid but it leads me to believe there is a bare wire shorting out somewhere, but I can't find one.

There is no parallel switch so far from what I've seen. I swear I think i've ran through all the wires. I just don't know what else to do?
Unread 08-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #15
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wellll, I've got a couple of S.A. answers for that, but that isn't what we need now. So can you find the wire colors at the lamps? One will be brown or have a yellow trace. The one with the yellow will be (should be) the ground side. You will need the other one. Does the inside of your Jeep get wet? Just trying to isolate where the problem might be.
Sounds as if you have done the easy stuff. Can you find the BU lamp fuse? Verify that it is hot only with the ignition is on. If so pull it and give it a try. Be careful with this as something important may also be on this fuse. If the fuse is hot all the time we may have isolated your problem. See if your radio plays with the key off. This means the "short" is feeding into the ignition circuit and discharging the battery. Normally you should be able to run the BU lights for several hrs with a good battery.
So your problem is between the lamps and the fuse. let me know what you find and we'll go from there,

regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.