Reverse light wiring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Reverse light wiring?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 02-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
johnt7558
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Reverse light wiring?

Ok i want to add extra led reverse lights to my yj.
Easy way is to just tap into stock wiring at tail light or have it on another switch byitself.
But what if i want both? How can i wire up extra lights on stock reverse switch AND seperate switch at the same time? The reason i ask is i would like for the new lights to come on in reverse but would also like to be able to
Turn them on while in p psrk .

johnt7558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A couple of relays is all you would need to flick them on. One relay flicks them on when you shift into reverse, one relay is switched on and off by a separate switch.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just use a SPDT toggle switch. SPDT = Single Pole Double Throw
Hook the Common terminal of the switch to the feed to the new LED lights.
Hook one of the other terminals to +12V.
Hook the other terminal to the existing reverse light bulb circuit.

In 1 position the new LED lights will come on when the reverse lights are on.
In the other position the LED lights will be on regardless of the other reverse lights.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
johnt7558
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ive heard i need a diode inline to keep the seperate switch from back feeding through my brake switch. Does this sound right?
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Soundy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt7558 View Post
Ive heard i need a diode inline to keep the seperate switch from back feeding through my brake switch. Does this sound right?
Not with the proper switch wiring, as kloppk describes.
scan0026a.jpg  
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
johnt7558
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So where should i tap into existing light wiring?
Between fuse box and stock reverse switch or between stock reverse switch and tail light?
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #7
Soundy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt7558 View Post
So where should i tap into existing light wiring?
Between fuse box and stock reverse switch or between stock reverse switch and tail light?
It would have to be after the reverse switch, otherwise the new lights would be on all the time.

Actually, you could feed one side of the new switch from before the reverse switch (for the "manual" operation) and after it for the "normal" reverse function. Personally, I'd be more inclined to feed the "manual" side from a constant 12V source so they can be turned on without the key on, for use as utility lighting.
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
johnt7558
1990 YJ Wrangler 

So i can tie in to existing wiring right at tail light for the light to run with brake switch, then run another wire to new light for use with the key in locked position. Will the led not back feed to existing reverse light?
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
Soundy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Okay, look at it this way: when the switch is to the left, the new lights get fed the same power going to the stock lights. When you flip it to the right, the power flows only to the LEDs, but not the stock lights.

You could run the one wire from the stock lights, but if you want the switch in the dash, you'll be running a wire all the way to the front, just to run another back to the light. Be easier to tap it off under the dash, so you only have to run a single wire back to the new lights.

Also, you should put a fuse in the constant lead, for safety.

Here's an updated diagram, should make more sense:
scan0029a.jpg  

Last edited by Soundy; 02-03-2013 at 08:46 PM..
Unread 02-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
johnt7558
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Got it!!!
Thanks Soundy i was goin about ita totally different way trying to power new light with two different power source instead of powering double throw "switch" with two sources and one wire to new lights! Thats why i love this forum!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.