Reverse light clarification. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Reverse light clarification.

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Reverse light clarification.

I e got a 89 yj and just installed a ez wire kit. I'm good with every thing except the reverse lights. Does the switch on the ax-15 have power going through it to turn the lights on or does it just ground out through the switch.. I d google it and looked all over and for every 3 power goes through it I find 1 that says it grounds out. Any help would be great. It's an newer big diameter external slave ax-15 if that makes a difference.

88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
jimbos76cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:06 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i think the lights are grounded through the bolts on the tub?
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
packdog
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How many wires?

I'm not familiar with the ax15 specifically, but how many wires are on the plug?

If just one wire goes to it, then all it does so ground out the circuit to make the lights light.
If it has two wires then power is sent to it and when you put the trans in reverse it will route that power to the backup lights.
That's how those circuits usually work.
packdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #4
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by packdog View Post
I'm not familiar with the ax15 specifically, but how many wires are on the plug?

If just one wire goes to it, then all it does so ground out the circuit to make the lights light.
If it has two wires then power is sent to it and when you put the trans in reverse it will route that power to the backup lights.
That's how those circuits usually work.

I was thinking about it on my drive to work and realized it was a silly question. Yes it has 2 wires so yes power goes through it.. I'm a fool.
88 YJ 35's 8.8 rear, family style roll bar, ax-15 external slave conversion, Custom double D fab dash 4" of lift taurus fan, Head light wiring upgrade, MSD 6al, JB conversions SYE, 258 with RV cam, Long tube headers, Borla exhaust. 1"mm, Auto meter gauges.
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
jimbos76cj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yup.. Came home and double checked.. 2 wires.. Best part is that its a 2 wire weather pack female connector.. That's great because the other day at the junk yard I grabbed a random 2 wire male plug. All I have to do now is make the connections.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.