Resuscitating an '88 YJ, Left outside for 18mos. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Resuscitating an '88 YJ, Left outside for 18mos.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 11-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #1
Priest2k
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Resuscitating an '88 YJ, Left outside for 18mos.

So I got a great deal on a YJ, my dream jeep the other day. I'm definitely an apprentice level mechanic, but I've got my Haynes book and I follow instructions well. My diagnostic skill is where I am lacking experience.

When I go to start it, she turns but doesn't kick over. I sprayed some fuel in the intake and and gets further but still not there. I am in the process of changing out the spark plugs, it has A/C and #1 is a pain for someone with big hands. I also got a new fuel and air filter.

Now the question, what are the things that I should expect to have to replace, fix or clean right off the bat to get this thing started and running? The body is nearly immaculate and the engine compartment was well maintained with a new battery.

I understand this is a broad question, but I'm only looking for the basics, essentially for a good tuneup.

Thanks guys,
C

Priest2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You need fuel, spark, and air (with compression) for the engine to run. Find out which one or ones are missing.
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

In order to check and or change
1. Fuel, clean the tank out and purge the lines.
2. Change filter.
3. Change cap and rotor and plugs. They will corrode over time and you will never start it with out spark.
4. Change oil and filter.
5. Since you arleady turned it over, dry start has happened. Lets just hope it was not bad for on it.
6. put gas in, and verify pump draws fuel. If not replace pump, They have rubber diaphragm so it will deteriorate over time.
7. Check all vacuum hoses
8. Check the air cleaner box for a rat nest.
9. Check around for rat damage, wires, hoses pee and poop.
10. Be prepared to rebuild the carb or order a aftermarket replacement.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #4
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

from your profile I see that you have the 4.2. is every thing original like the carb and the emissions system? if you don't know post a pic of the engine compartment.
you say it turns over but won't start then tries to start when you spray fuel in the carb. first I would check the fuel pump by disconnecting the line and cranking it over. if you have fuel getting to the carb, pump the throtle by hand and look into the carb to see if you see fuel spraying. try to pin point the problem.
a complete tune up would include a new fuel filter, distributor cap and rotor, new plug wires and new air cleaner.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Doesn't help with the start issue but change your radiator coolant, tcase, tranny, and axle fluids too.
(50/50 premix, atf, 10w30, and any gear oil) yes motor oil in the transmission.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your going to have to roll it over ALOT if its lost its prime. Did you just pour the fuel in once or twice or did you do it and try and keep her running a bit. As someone else mentioned, those mech fuel pumps will deteriorate faster than you think and the worst thing you can do to a carb is store it with no fuel. It evaporates out of the bowl etc and gaskets shrink and well you get the idea. Shouldnt have any budget killers assuming it was ok when he parked it. Other thing, how about the fuel condition? Did you drain the tank of the old gas? If it sat up that Long I would get that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #7
rambo3489
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with ALL of these. If you put the work in up front things will be easier for you in the future.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Priest2k
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'll get working on them ASAP. ROADYROB, below are the pictures you asked for. I know the #1 spark plug wire isn't connected, I'm still trying to figure out how to get my hands in there and replace it without knocking in a bunch of crud in the socket.

@MLJEEPER: I never got her to run, I'm out of the house right now but as soon as I get back I'll check to fuel pump as well. When I was trying, I was a one man show. So I sprayed for 2-3 seconds then hopped in. I got a couple rumbles but that was it. Didn't try too hard for fear of flooding. I know I need to drain the fuel, that's my next reading assignment in my Haynes book.

Thanks again for all the help guys,
C
img_0038.jpg   img_0039.jpg  
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
Jeepsr4me

Drop tank. Clean insides out. 18 months means a lot of crud has settled in bottom and water. Its a pain in *** I know. but do it so you can alieviate that. And blow air in the furel lines to blow them out. Remove line from carb before you do and remove the filter.
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
Jeepsr4me

I am a king at bringing stuff back from dead. I think that car show on discovery is about me. I buy junk and get it to road ready,
Unread 11-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

There is a good chance your carb is gummed up. My jeep sat for five years and I got it to sputter with a little gas in the carb. Ended up pulling it apart and found old gas stuck in the bowl. We cleaned it out and it ran rough. A full carb rebuild, new vac lines and a proper carb tune and I was driving it everyday.

I agree x1000 about cleaning your tank. I still haven't and if I ran the fuel low enough it would get a really rough idle and have a hard time running. New filter solved that problem. Also, just take the ac pump off. Seems like a lot of work but it's easier in the short term.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance
Michaelgoesrawr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
Priest2k
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Michael, thanks for the tips. I was figuring I'd have to have the Carb rebuilt or replaced anyways. It's interesting what you said about the A/C. I've been looking at doing that since I ran into the problem with the spark plug. Is it as simple as just removing the bolts and hoses then getting the belt without A/C?
Unread 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #13
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest2k View Post
Michael, thanks for the tips. I was figuring I'd have to have the Carb rebuilt or replaced anyways. It's interesting what you said about the A/C. I've been looking at doing that since I ran into the problem with the spark plug. Is it as simple as just removing the bolts and hoses then getting the belt without A/C?
I meant just take it off while doing the tune up. The four extra bolts are easier for me to take off just to get to the #1 plug. If you're interested, you can keep the compressor and turn it into an On Board Air system for filling up tires and whatnot. If you do want to ditch the whole system you will need to get another bracket and pulley to take it's place I believe. I do know that my old motor(same as yours) did have another bracket and pulley in that location.
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #14
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Am I crazy or did the early YJ A/C models come with a serp belt? My 90 has V belts but I dont have A/C so I cant speak to that. If the A/C models do not have serp belts you may have other issues that need to be entered into the equation.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90DesertTanYJ
Am I crazy or did the early YJ A/C models come with a serp belt? My 90 has V belts but I dont have A/C so I cant speak to that. If the A/C models do not have serp belts you may have other issues that need to be entered into the equation.
My 89 had ac and a serp belt.

Help our dog Bo! https://fundly.com/give-bo-a-chance

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.