JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Results: U-Pol Tintable Raptor Liner (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/results-u-pol-tintable-raptor-liner-1259828/)

89yjsahara258 09-01-2011 01:53 AM

Results: U-Pol Tintable Raptor Liner

4 Attachment(s)
I know there have been many threads on raptor liner but while I was researching this project I could not find any using colour matched to the body tint. I wanted to retain the stock colouring of my jeep while still having the benefit of a bed liner.

FYI: I added only 50ml of tint to each bottle under the recommendation of the dealer I bought from. The reason I was given was that the closer to 10% tint you get the more the tint will affect the bonding power of the liner.

Here are some pictures:

The_Blacksmith 09-01-2011 02:18 AM

what made you use raptor, vs monstaliner?

89yjsahara258 09-01-2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blacksmith (Post 12108037)
what made you use raptor, vs monstaliner?

With Monstaliner I had to pick from available colour chips but with Raptor I was able to tint the exact colour I wanted. I have heard that you can tint the Monstaliner with your own base coat but I was unable to see the results. I did however like the texture that Raptor has more than the Monstaliner.

Andywear 09-01-2011 06:11 AM

Awesome looks great with the body color

19OlllllllO41 09-01-2011 08:22 AM

Wow, very nice. Professional looking results for sure! :thumbsup: I don't want to sound negative, but the only thing I would have done differently seeing as though you went through so much work to strip the body would have been to remove the roll bar and spray under its feet. When I did mine a couple months back I removed the roll bar and believe it or not there was a small amount of surface rust in spots under the roll bar feet. But again, very nice work!

89yjsahara258 09-01-2011 11:09 AM

Thanks guys! I probably should have removed the roll bar but I was concerned about spinning the nuts. I did spray some rust converter under the mounting surface and then fully sealed it to the floor pan. Hopefully that will be enough...

timatoe 09-01-2011 12:20 PM

I like that you pulled all of the dash components etc.... I'm sure this was part of a larger project, right? You didn't do all that just for the liner did you? Even if you did, that's being thorough. Nice job.

Newk76 09-01-2011 12:50 PM

looks good

89yjsahara258 09-01-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timatoe (Post 12109637)
I like that you pulled all of the dash components etc.... I'm sure this was part of a larger project, right? You didn't do all that just for the liner did you? Even if you did, that's being thorough. Nice job.

Haha yea... My dash was cracked and rusty so I was restoring it and all of the metal brake/clutch etc components and figured it was a great time to fix the tub and bedline it. Based on my results however I would pull the dash again even if it did not need restoring. With the dash removed I was able to remove the lumpy factory sealant and use a better, cleaner looking replacement that filled all the holes in the original. Lots of work but I am happy with the result! :)

Newk76 09-12-2011 10:21 AM

we are 99% sure we're going with Raptor, it's available locally and we like that you don't have to use it all at once..
anyways, how much did it take to do your tub and how many coats did you do? The kit the dealer here has is 4qts in the 4 bottles. The CS we used in the tub only took 1qt for 2 coats. I called them today and they have 1 kit left in stock so I need to go pick it up tomorrow, but he said there was a possiblity that he could break it up and sell it cheaper if we didn't need all 4. (they install it there at their paint shop also, so I'm sure they could use it if we don't need it, benefits us both)

89yjsahara258 09-12-2011 12:43 PM

If you are doing all of your tub like I did I would have liked to have had 6 Bottles. With 4 bottles I had none left for touch ups and was only able to put down a heavier coat(s) in a few choice places like the footwells and "bed" area. If you are spraying with the dash in then four bottles will be enough but you will have none for touch ups.

Something I also found during reinstall is that Raptor is not very resistant to metal scrapes. It has performed great so far under all other abuse just be careful when loading potentially sharp metal objects as it does tear.

If you have time during prep I took out all the goopy looking factory sealant and resealed using the PRO-FORM paintable sealer. I have used it on a number of projects and it looks much cleaner and seals very well. While I was removing the factory seal I found that there was considerable amounts of rust underneath nearest the seam.

I know this contains more than you asked but I hope it all helps with your project!

Spencer

89yjsahara258 09-12-2011 12:44 PM

EDIT: Sorry I forgot I did 2 coats and went back at the end of the second to put extra in the footwells etc...

Newk76 09-12-2011 12:54 PM

it sprays on pretty thick then? We sprayed the tub w chassis saver already, it took 1qt to do 2 coats, thats why the 4 qt seemed like more than we'd need of the Raptor. We don't have the dash off, suprisingly enough it's about the only thing on the Jeep that hasn't been removed lately. lol. There are pics in our build thread of where we are at on it.

89yjsahara258 09-12-2011 01:19 PM

Yea it does spray on thick. I sprayed mine at about 60psi and about 12-18 inches away. The more light passes you make at the higher pressure (60-70 psi) creates a smoother texture which is what I wanted to achieve. The other way to do it is at the 40-50psi range and a little closer which will come out looking more rolled on. The shop I bought it from suggested the higher pressure range because the lower range tends to come off in sheets if you manage to tear it. There is apparently a better bond at the higher pressure. Not exactly sure why but that was the experience the shop had with it.

Are you using the tintable one or black? Either way I would measure the hardener outside the bottle because the lines are impossible to see on the inside.

Newk76 09-12-2011 01:38 PM

We are going to use black. Thanks for your help! The shop/store we're buying it from has sprayed it before in truck beds so I'm sure they can give us a good idea on how to spray it too. They were very helpful with the CS and exterior primer. I'm not sure if they've every done a wrangler before though, they sounded like they weren't too sure how much it would take. :)

The time now is 06:32 AM.