Restrictor?? How? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Restrictor?? How?

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 02-16-2002, 12:32 AM   #1
Mike611

Restrictor?? How?

Hey guys, it's me again, rumor has it there is an air-flow restrictor DaimlerChrysler put in my 95 4-banger?? Is this true? If so, were is the little bastard? Time for it to go!!!!!!
Thanks guys!

95, 2.5L, custom bumpers, Flow's, 4 inch Skyjacker Super Duty, 33x12.50 MT's, 15X10 AR 767's, Hi-lift, Funk in the Trunk( two 12 inch subs ), soon to be locked and have one of those pully things on the front.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly...
Mike611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2002, 01:13 AM   #2
95yj-4 cyl

I also have a 95 4cyl. I found 2 restrictors. Take off the top part of your air box. The 1st is in the front of the airbox itself (looks like a small horn). Takes a little prying with a screw driver, but not too bad. The 2nd one is located on the top part of the airbox (where the hose that connects to the throttle body). This one looks like a small horn also, but is much tougher to remove (mine took about 10 min of some serious prying-----there are 2 prongs, break them off and then get a small screw driver between this restrictor and the airbox (there's a rubber band type of gasket that makes removing this restrictor hard). Remove those 2 tabs, get pull that gasket out, and the restrictor then removes easily. I bent up the end of my air outlet, but it straightens out fairly easily and the hose fits fine. The back rest. alone is about 4 cm at it's smallest diameter, but with this rest. removed, the new opening is about 7 cm. Well worth the effort.
95 yj, 4 cyl, auto trans, 4:88 gears, detroit front locker, rear detroit with super 35 kit, short shaft conversion, 4" superlift, 32" superswamper radials
95yj-4 cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2002, 01:20 AM   #3
95yj-4 cyl

P.S. I almost forgot. The 2nd one is shown in the project section of this site. But, it was a little harder than 5 min worth. The 1st restrictor I mentioned isn't covered, but was in my 95. Hope this helps. A K&N filter is a nice addition with these 2 mods (a noticible at the wheels horsepower gain)...Hey, with a 4 cyl, every little bit helps .
95 yj, 4 cyl, auto trans, 4:88 gears, detroit front locker, rear detroit with super 35 kit, short shaft conversion, 4" superlift, 32" superswamper radials
95yj-4 cyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.