Requesting advice on damaged Wrangler! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Requesting advice on damaged Wrangler!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #1
tylerb123

Requesting advice on damaged Wrangler!

Hello all! I've been a long-time lurker and am glad to have finally joined the community!

I have recently inherited a 1995 Jeep Wrangler Sahara edition from my father. Long story short, the car was a Chicago vehicle for most of its life, and has been living in a garage in southern Florida for the better part of the past 10 years. Aside from having sentimental value, the Jeep received an entirely new engine before coming to Florida. (He heard a tick in the engine, and being under warranty, the dealership somehow decided to completely replace the engine).

Since I'm currently up north and don't yet have possession of the vehicle, I asked a friend to check her out and do a tune-up. Upon raising the jeep up, he discovered some serious rust to the underbody, mostly the frame and leaf springs. I haven't had a chance to view the under-carriage myself, but you may view pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/RJblW . I was told this vehicle is very dangerous to drive in it's current state.

I've searched the forums/read a considerable amount of posts with people having similar problems, although I feel my situation is a bit unique. I was told the under-carriage would need to be sandblasted before a complete quote could be provided, but should expect between $2-3k in work.

My question are:

1) Does this quote seem accurate? If not, more/less? What other problems might I be facing?

2) I intend to drive this vehicle from FL > Denver and use it as my daily driver (repairs of course happening before that drive). Seeing how it has a fairly new engine, would you recommend fixing this vehicle vs buying a different wrangler? My budget being $5-6k (Sentimental value aside)

3) If selling the vehicle is preferable, how would I rank this in terms of KBB value?

Looking forward to your advice!

tylerb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Where is it at in southern Florida. There is a in Stuart here on the forum that is a rain man when it comes to YJ's.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
tylerb123

Ft Myers / Naples area
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Its about 100mi. but I think it might be worth the trip for you to get in touch and have him look at it. You will never and I mean never find a better person to tell you what's up and to fix it.

PM him:
http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/Mean%20Max
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb123 View Post
Ft Myers / Naples area
You're in my neighborhood....

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

the springs are fine, new ubolts are probably in order though. there are patch plates for the frame where the shackles bolt on. If you know someone that is a good welder this could be a really cheap fix(at least to get driving. I have seen people drive them far worse.
Unread 07-16-2014, 12:47 PM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

x2 Goob It doesn't look bad to me at all. Like I said. PM Max. He is the best there is and prices are good. You need it running and fixed you are lucky enough to have it close to him. He does nothing but Jeeps. That Jeep has sat around for a long time and he can go through it and tell you exactly what you are dealing with and how much it will cost.

This is Max on Youtube dealing with a Jeep inspection:
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #8
tylerb123

Thank you for the referral! Pm'd Max!
Unread 07-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You will be glad you did. Post back and keep up updated.
Unread 07-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
tylerb123

Will do!
Unread 07-21-2014, 09:26 PM   #11
Robob69
JEEPSR made to be Dirty!!

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Frame time.......
Robob69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you get in touch with max?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.