Request write-ups on repairs & modifications here - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Request write-ups on repairs & modifications here

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #31
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awjdonald View Post
i know most pepole say its betere to get a jeep with a 6 cylineder already in it but i got my 4 cylinder cheap for a 1000 dolars, with a good body and new tranny the engines is going. I would like to put a 6 cylinder what do i need to do to it. its a 1990, will the motor mounts fit.
I don't think this really requires a write up, its simple enough. The mounts are the same for the 4.2 and 4.0, its pretty much a "bolt in" swap. You will need the complete harness with the 4.0, and the AX-15 transmission since the AX-5 won't survive long behind the 4.0. But if you have those parts, its basically just dropping the new motor in.

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #32
awjdonald
1994 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprowley View Post
I don't think this really requires a write up, its simple enough. The mounts are the same for the 4.2 and 4.0, its pretty much a "bolt in" swap. You will need the complete harness with the 4.0, and the AX-15 transmission since the AX-5 won't survive long behind the 4.0. But if you have those parts, its basically just dropping the new motor in.
but what about the difernce between cabaration and fuel injucetion,am fifteen and in the process of building my jeep i want to put 33 on and not sure how well a 4 cylinder will push them and about the tranny will it hold up as long as am not offroading
awjdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #33
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i think i write up on all the different types of springs people have used would be good.
such as what springs give you lift and stretch, how they ride, different bastard packs and what not
just an idea
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #34
lawnboy1990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4.3 TBI conversion

So i have a 91 s10 with a 4.3 TBI will it bolt up to my tf999 or do i need to use the trans from the truck?

Also is there any one who has done this AND done a really good wright up on it. I was going to do a 4.0 conversion and learned a $900 dolor lesson. Get the hole truck nut just an engine and PC!!!!!! Would like to learn as much as I can before I start the swap. I do not want to end up like this again
lawnboy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #35
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboy1990 View Post
So i have a 91 s10 with a 4.3 TBI will it bolt up to my tf999 or do i need to use the trans from the truck?

Also is there any one who has done this AND done a really good wright up on it. I was going to do a 4.0 conversion and learned a $900 dolor lesson. Get the hole truck nut just an engine and PC!!!!!! Would like to learn as much as I can before I start the swap. I do not want to end up like this again
Read this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...derway-324622/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #36
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I would like to see a write up on using a Cherokee front CV shaft for the rear of YJ's. Seen lots of talk on the forums about people doing it, but not really any good write-ups per-se on the topic. Really interested in it!
Unread 12-12-2009, 05:15 AM   #37
circuit19
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How about a write up on removing a YJ dash to get to the wiper motor and related wiper stuff that's under/behind the dash.
circuit19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:01 AM   #38
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuit19 View Post
How about a write up on removing a YJ dash to get to the wiper motor and related wiper stuff that's under/behind the dash.
thats easy man. just screws all around. take out the three front dash components and then you have to fold down the windshield to get out the screws that are holding in the dash pad.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #39
DirtyDog
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Spark Plug Swap

Can anybody send me a link on how to change spark plugs on a 1988 Jeep YJ. Specifically, I need a list of the tools I will need, because one of my plugs looks like it will be hard to get to with just a regular ratchet. This is due to the bracket that holds the AC Compressor and Alternator being in the way.

I imagine somebody has written this up before, but I am having trouble finding it.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #40
BDurrant
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have researched the Nutter Bypass and found alot of write ups about it but a picture write up addressing the vacuum garbage that can then be eliminated would be very helpfull.
BDurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #41
InEmberClad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

timing belt

I would like to know how to check/adjust the timing in my 2.5l 89 yj, from start to finish. Not even sure exactly how best to get to the timing belt.
InEmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #42
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by InEmberClad View Post
I would like to know how to check/adjust the timing in my 2.5l 89 yj, from start to finish. Not even sure exactly how best to get to the timing belt.

You adjust the timing via the distributor. I am sure someone will have something to post up about it.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #43
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
Can anybody send me a link on how to change spark plugs on a 1988 Jeep YJ. Specifically, I need a list of the tools I will need, because one of my plugs looks like it will be hard to get to with just a regular ratchet. This is due to the bracket that holds the AC Compressor and Alternator being in the way.

I imagine somebody has written this up before, but I am having trouble finding it.
All you need is a spark plug socket, a few extensions, a 3/8" ratchet and a wobble joint for the ratchet.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 12-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #44
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by circuit19 View Post
All of the wiper stuff is in the windshield or bolted to it. Fold the windshield down and you have access to all of it. The only part under the dash is to the left of the steering wheel. It is the wiper delay box.

Unread 12-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #45
mmbtv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How about swaping a AX-15 for a TF999 auto behind a I6? Or is their a better option.

1994 yj
Thanks!
mmbtv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.