Request write-ups on repairs & modifications here - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Request write-ups on repairs & modifications here

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Request write-ups on repairs & modifications here

The purpose of this thread is two-fold:

1) To see what write-ups on repairs & modifications might benefit the members of YJ Tech the most.
Many folks are here to help, so here's your chance to ask the questions!

2) To motivate the more experienced members to document their work for the benefit of other members who might need a helping hand with that same type of repair or modification. There are a lot of JF members that do their own work, but don't document it because it doesn't seem like a hard job to them.

Please feel free to post up a request for any repair or modification here in this thread, and hopefully someone will see the need & produce a write-up on that procedure.

Conversely, if you have the opportunity to provide a write-up on something listed here on this thread, please make an effort to document your work with as many details & instructions as possible, including any part numbers. Please try to include as many clear pictures as possible, because they really help others to get a good feel for what you're talking about.

There are 2 things to remember:
For those making requests

1) Check the YJ Tech FAQ section prior to requesting a write-up, the one you want may already exist!

For those making the write-ups

2) Make your write-up in a new thread, then PM rustywrangler a link to it. This way the write-up can be reviewed & then added to the FAQ section of YJ Tech.

So come folks, let's all work together & have some fun!

List of Write-Up requests not done yet:

XJ Springs in the rear along with rear stretch.
Dana 30 ARB airlocker + regear writeup.
How to fix the snap ring on 5th gear in the AX-15.
AX-15 how to replace the clutch kit and syncroes.
YJ Tummy tuck install, custom or aftermarket.
Front frame steering box repair
CJ drop down tailgate conversion

rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would LOVE a write up on cherokee springs in the rear, and any variants on the idea.

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
87yjlaxin
1987 YJ Wrangler 

changing gears

im thinking about changing the stock gears in my 87yj to 4.10's, any idea on a scale of 1-10 as to how hard it is to do? i have some experience with mechanics being that i have built a motor for a 70 Chevelle a few years back and i fell i can do it but my repair manual has conveniently left that out haha. im comfortable with jobs up to about a 7 on a scale of ten i just wanted some pointers from anyone who has done it already.
87yjlaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yjlaxin View Post
im thinking about changing the stock gears in my 87yj to 4.10's, any idea on a scale of 1-10 as to how hard it is to do? i have some experience with mechanics being that i have built a motor for a 70 Chevelle a few years back and i fell i can do it but my repair manual has conveniently left that out haha. im comfortable with jobs up to about a 7 on a scale of ten i just wanted some pointers from anyone who has done it already.
There are a few good writeups around the forum on gears so I will look for those for ya. on a scale of 1-10 for someone who has done an engine build, I would say 7-8. If you do your research and get your tools together you can do it.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yjlaxin View Post
The way I would go about it is to snag a D30 from a 2.5L YJ (which is 4.10) and then pillage the rear axle out of an Explorer which also can come with 4.10s. If you search around on Craigslist enough, you could potentially pull this off for a minimum of like $200, and the Exploder axle will come with disc brakes so it's pretty much a situation full of win.

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
whitie_08
1991 YJ Wrangler 

a good one would be an 8.8 "end all thread"

a list of everything needed...starting from what to snag at the junkyard, all the way through brakes and the ujoint flange. tools, fluids

and a how to install guide etc. including all the small issues that need to be addressed

reason: i know there are alot of threads, but i am probably about to get an axle and it would be nice to have somewhat of a "check list" for the install since its a dd jeep, and i have never done anything remotely close to an axle install.
Unread 11-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
tomesd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How about a D 30 ARB airlocker + regear writeup?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/first-pics-my-95-restoration-861394/"][B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Silver"]Pics and specifics[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/URL]

[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="SlateGray"][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/congratulations-our-winner-yjotm-contest-tomesd-876938/"][COLOR="Silver"][B][B]Oct '09 YJOTM[/B][/B][/COLOR][/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[ ].[COLOR="Silver"][____][/COLOR].
[COLOR="Silver"]l__L_-[]lllllll[]-[/COLOR]_
()_) ()_)=@=)_)
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
Walnutz
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking to replace my tired, gear grinding ba-10. would like to put in an automatic! what would be good swap in for just about a direct fit? least amount of aftermarket parts for the least amount of money?? get tranny and t-case from same vehicle?? Any help please!
Walnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 10:05 AM   #9
bob082484
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just lost fifth gear in my 95 Yj and I don't have the $ for a new ax5 or an ax15 swap. Can someone post a write-up on how to just replace the snap ring for fifth gear? thanks.
bob082484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
JayTea
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitie_08 View Post
a good one would be an 8.8 "end all thread"

a list of everything needed...starting from what to snag at the junkyard, all the way through brakes and the ujoint flange. tools, fluids

and a how to install guide etc. including all the small issues that need to be addressed

reason: i know there are alot of threads, but i am probably about to get an axle and it would be nice to have somewhat of a "check list" for the install since its a dd jeep, and i have never done anything remotely close to an axle install.
I would also like to see this.
JayTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

what about a yj tummy tuck. whether is an aftermarket one or home made (similar to the one sold for tjs)
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
antec

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprowley View Post
I would LOVE a write up on cherokee springs in the rear, and any variants on the idea.
x2 i'm thinking about the cherokee springs for a LCOG build
antec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 04:36 AM   #13
Selafane
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob082484 View Post
Just lost fifth gear in my 95 Yj and I don't have the $ for a new ax5 or an ax15 swap. Can someone post a write-up on how to just replace the snap ring for fifth gear? thanks.
This but id like to go a little further with it and see how to replace the clutch kit and syncroids. Im aware of there one being on different site, but the explanations of the steps isn't very clear
imo.

Also I just now thought of this...I don't know if it already exists, but I think it would be sweet if someone or a bunch of people wrote up a list of the recalls they put on the yj's could help us all save a couple of bucks.

Last edited by Selafane; 11-17-2009 at 05:06 AM..
Selafane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
WebWheeler327
2006 TJ Wrangler 

How about front frame repair around the steering box? There is lots on the rear frame not much for the front.
WebWheeler327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Goobersbro

I would love a write up on how to remove the tub from the frame

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.