Replacing Windshield Pitfalls- advice? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing Windshield Pitfalls- advice?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 03-31-2007, 09:55 PM   #1
keithgamble

Replacing Windshield Pitfalls- advice?

i'm about to undertake replacing my windshield. I have the rubber seal off the jeep I took this from. I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions on this effort. what should I be looking out for or expect. I know this is broad topic but I get that feeling I'll take off my old one and find out that when you pull it off all hell breaks loose (or simply I break the linkage on my wipers). I'm not "the man" around the garage so any advice is appreciated.

95 Wrangler 4.0 L
keithgamble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I believe they are "glued" in. They don't use the old fashioned rubber gasket, they just look like they do. They use ureathane glue to hold them in. I'm having my neighbor, that works for an autoglass co, pull my windshield out this summer so I can clean up the surface rust under the reveal moulding and then put it back in so it doesn't leak anymore.
Unread 04-01-2007, 04:45 AM   #3
sgtcherokee
1994 YJ Wrangler 

they are glued in, I just replaced mine the other day , It went pretty straight forward . there are two rubber gaskets , an outer that goes around the edge of the glass and the inner that covers up the pinch weld. My frame was tweaked badly do to a roll over so I ended up not putting the inner seal back on .
You will need to goto a parts store and buy a tube of winshield adhesive I got the 3M brand that you use in a caulk gun. Run a fairly thick bead around the frame on the outer side of the pinch weld and then put the outer seal around the glass , then you just need to place the glass in the frame and make sure it's seated all the way around. I had trouble with mine only because the frame was not straight , but it's in and doesn't leak.
good luck !
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #4
keithgamble

I must not have been clear, i'm actually not replacing the glass, just the frame on my jeep...the glass is actually in the frame I bought. Nontheless, thanks for the advice I did not know the glass was glued in there. the gasket I was talking about goes b/w the winshield frame and the body near the fire wall.
95 Wrangler 4.0 L
keithgamble is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 12:11 PM   #5
jonnyri
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The hinge seal right?... get a new one - around $25. They just lay in and are sandwiched between the windshield and shroud. dirt and muck build up on it pretty easy and often is the cause of water leaking in... and in most cases dumping out on your gas pedal foot. Windshield just folds down and seal goes in between.
jonnyri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #6
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you already remove those torx bolts that held your old frame in? If all of yours came out, consider yourself lucky. I had to drill mine out.

TORX SUX
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
ovrlnd

it is a pretty easy deal. the torx on the windshield frame came out it will be straight forward. when you remove your old windshield the vin# plate will be riveted to the windshield frame, drill the heads off the rivets and transfer it to the new frame. if you are having to pull out the wiper linkage assembly from the old frame, always in my case they always come out easier but getting them back in can be tricky sometiimes, nothing major, just be patient. I would also like previously mentioned clean the dirt and junk from the seal and replace with new, you won't regret it. if you don't fold your windshield down that often address any rust on the tub in that location since you are already there.

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
nudosimmons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

how much do new windshields cost?
herculinded interior
custom bumper
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/update-my-xj-362812/
nudosimmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
Semperfi

i had mine replace for $150... done in less than an hour

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.