replacing a water pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replacing a water pump

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
Mdmann

replacing a water pump

ok so i reaplaced the hoses and it is the water pump can anyone give me a walk through of how to replace a water pump. i have 4 banger. can anyone help me please. thanks for the help.

Mdmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
kg6mti
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Not to sound sarcastic but go to a local auto parts store and pick up a Haynes manual. There will be a step by step walk through usually with pictures and everything.

Good Luck!
Unread 04-15-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
Mdmann

ok here is an easier question i need to know hwo to get that back belt off cause there is no tensioner to turn to make the belt lose. any help would be nice
Unread 04-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
kg6mti
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What motor do you have? 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder

What year Jeep?
Unread 04-15-2005, 04:04 PM   #5
Mdmann

1990 and a 4 banger. the back belt that runs the power steering i can't figure out how to get it off. and i don't want to break anything
Unread 04-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
sanford

you have to unbolt the power steering pump and rotate the whole thing and it will losen the belt up enough to get it off.. i think it is like 3 bolts the center one you can leave on and let it pivot i think but i dont remember for sure either way just take them out and the belt will come off.. be sparing with the RTV on the gasket and surface as it has a tendency to block the heater core opening when you tighten the new pump down..
sanford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2005, 04:08 PM   #7
Mdmann

sorry i am new to this all what is an RTV? and thanks alot.
Unread 04-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
sanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdmann
sorry i am new to this all what is an RTV? and thanks alot.
its just like a silicone sealent you can get it anywhere comes in the little tube that will dry up if you dont put the top on... you can put some on the gasket to make sure it dosent leak... any auto parts store has it...
sanford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2005, 12:22 AM   #9
YJinSD
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yellow is your pivit bolt and the red are the 2 back behind I'm not sure if these need to come out
YJinSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #10
ZonaWrangler

I consider myself pretty handy with tools and my water pump went out on me and that same day I took it to Pep Boys and paid to have it replaced. $40 part, cost me like $350 (had my AC charged too). No way I coulda done that work in one day myself, and I was able to make it to work the next morning, so it was worth it.

Last edited by ZonaWrangler; 04-16-2005 at 01:11 AM..
ZonaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2005, 03:34 AM   #11
JustPassinThru

Too bad for you. I'm not handy at all...if you read my writeup on TRYING to put a CJ front on my YJ and having to pay someone else to clean it up....

...but I did the water pump. Five hours at a slow pace and no problems, except that I had to figure out how to purge the hydro-lock from the head.

I have to work all day for $340. How about you? Still think it was worth it? If you never try something, you'll never learn.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2005, 04:14 AM   #12
ZonaWrangler

It went out on me while I was taking it in to get the AC charged, on my day off, about noon. I wont tell you what I was gonna make the next day, but it was worth it for me to pay for a quick repair.

Just FYI ... I have 3 college degrees, including an MS from NYU .... and I paid for it all myself with grants, scholarships, jobs and student loans, so you do the math. $350, and I have cold AC now. Stuff, I really could not get done in a 4 hour period by myself.

Last edited by ZonaWrangler; 04-16-2005 at 04:27 AM..
ZonaWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2005, 04:36 AM   #13
JustPassinThru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaWrangler
It went out on me while I was taking it in to get the AC charged, on my day off, about noon. I wont tell you what I was gonna make the next day, but it was worth it for me to pay for a quick repair.

Just FYI ... I have 3 college degrees, including an MS from NYU .... and I paid for it all myself with grants, scholarships, jobs and student loans, so you do the math. $350, and I have cold AC now. Stuff, I really could not get done in a 4 hour period by myself.
That's reasonable. Stuff I used to do myself when I was broke - change the oil, detail the paint - now I pay others to do. My time is better spent on the job.

But some repairs are costly to have done and simple to do. If you're in that league where your time is more valuable doing your own specialty, then by all means do it.

But as I tried to show, for five hours, enjoyable because of the variety, I saved the equivilant of a day's pay.

You made it seem as if the $350 was a savings. For most of us, and I'm in the $50K income bracket, it's not.
JustPassinThru is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2005, 05:53 AM   #14
ZonaWrangler

I used to make more than that, but times have changed. Let's just say it was crucial that I could drive to work the next morning. And like $120 of it was for the AC recharge, so the new water pump, parts and labor was like $230. I wanted to also get done what I had set out to do that day.
Unread 04-16-2005, 07:58 AM   #15
Mdmann

well i have it on and everything about put back together just one question does the rtv go on both sides of the gasket? thanks for all you help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.