Replacing valve cover gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing valve cover gasket

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing valve cover gasket

I am going to use a permadry gasket, but my main questions are what should the bolts get torqued too? And should I use any rtv sealant? If so where?

Thanks guys

l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
1993sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...ations-587412/

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie
55in lbs!! How the hell am I gonna do that haha the lightest my torque wrench goes is like 20foot pounds
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What about rtv with the permadry gasket? Need it or not
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

55 in/lbs is 4.58 ft/lbs so instead of being dead exact and buying another torque wrench bring em up snug. It is meant not to crush or break the gasket when tightening down the bolts. So just snug them all in a circular direction and then just check one more time. Hopefully that helps.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you haven't done one before, you ought to borrow or buy a 1/4 inch drive torque wrench, otherwise, you'll overtighten it and it will leak. It is just counter-intuitive how little torque 5 lbs is.

If you don't want to get the right torque wrench, then don't even use a ratchet. Just use an a socket and extender and tighten it down with just your thumb and two fingertips.

This isn't a jeep thing, they are all like this. I killed a motor when I was 17 overtightening one.

As far is whether to use RTV or not, what do the instructions that come with the gasket say?
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
animal0307
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I did mine recently and it had the cork/rtv gasket and I opted for the $40 Felpro reusable gasket that doens't need RTV/adhesive. It took me the better of 2 hours scraping that crap off the valve cover. If I even have to crack open my cover again I can justify the gasket not only because its reuasble but time and energy it saves and headache of cleaning up after the old one. If you can swing it I'd get the Felpro one.
animal0307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #8
1993sahara
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the valve cover gasket about 3 years ago with a cork gasket. I never knew about the tq specs then, just made it tight. Guess I got lucky n didn't squash it.

I'm picking up the new gasket tomorrow so I guess I'll see what it says about rtv. This will be the first time I use a rubber gasket over cork
l--L --[]lllll[]-

()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 09-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307 View Post
I did mine recently and it had the cork/rtv gasket and I opted for the $40 Felpro reusable gasket that doens't need RTV/adhesive. It took me the better of 2 hours scraping that crap off the valve cover. If I even have to crack open my cover again I can justify the gasket not only because its reuasble but time and energy it saves and headache of cleaning up after the old one. If you can swing it I'd get the Felpro one.
Ding Ding Ding

Well worth it in my opinion, just like getting Lube Lockers for the diffs.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #10
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you measure 10 or 15 ft lbs and compare that to guessing you will be amazed at how much too tight you have been going, why there are so many broken bolts and so many leaking ccovers and pans. After you get the feel it's way less than 1/4 grunt.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.