Replacing tailgate lock. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing tailgate lock.

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #1
yjBlack94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing tailgate lock.

Hi guys. This is my first Jeep. It's 94 with 34k miles. Black, factory hard top, automatic and a/c. Basically, it beloved to a lady and was hardly ever driven. As result all luck were frozen and no tailgate key could be found. I got an after market cylinder which fits well but it doesn't have little plastic linkages or any clips that may be needed, as well as the gasket around the lock cylinder. I'm having a hard time locating necessary linkage parts, even on Mopar sight. Does anyone have suggestions. Also, while removing the cylinder the hole was roughly treated and now a small area around it is wavy. How do I straitened it out, I really want to keep it as close to perfect? I thank you all for the welcome to this forum and looking forward to getting to know other jeep fans.
Thank you.
Alex

yjBlack94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Look at Morris 4x4 and see what they have. I vaguely remember seeing all that was needed for the locks.
Unread 06-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #3
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

who removed your old tailgate lock? sounds like they pried it out, when all you have to do is remove the (8?) Torx screws around the tailgate handle cover, pull a retaining tab, unseat the actuating arm, and the lock will practically fall out... Wish I could suggest where to find replacements, I was very lucky that the previous owner of my jeep was something of a hoarder... between 4 doors and a bag of extra locks, I have _just enough_ hardware to have 2 door locks and a trunk lock with all the associated hardware. Had to get those all re-keyed to fit the ignition key (~$30/per at any locksmith), and popped them back in ready to rock. Next step will be getting extra cylinders for the full-size doors and having those rekeyed so I don't have to swap locks during door swaps.

Good luck with your YJ, sounds like you found a gem! 34k miles on a 20 year old vehicle is pretty low mileage. Methinks it may be time for fluid checkups just in case...

O_E
Other_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the key is the same as the door key so if they couldn't find that key then you need to change the door cylinders, also
Unread 06-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
yjBlack94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If the key is the same for the tailgate as it is for the doors that means my tailgate lock cylinder was broken. I thought I could drill the lock out but that didn't work the way I planned, bit caught the cylinder and spun it around. After that the cylinder just popped out. I could see the little rod but trying to push our pull it did nothing. With glass down only 5 out of 8 screws were accessible. I took them out and bent the cover to expose latch assy. It was tough b/c I had to cram in the back. But I did unlock it. The damage is barely noticeable unless one is ocd. Mopar parts overstock has most of what I need. I'm trying to find decent cheep replacement on eBay. It's a learning process. I only need to replace door handles and latches and a lot of weather stripping. No problem.
Fluids are OK. Guys who pulled it out of a barn took care of brakes and seals and filters so if runs well and feels safe. I Think I'll update my profile and move to restoration forum.
Unread 06-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjBlack94 View Post
If the key is the same for the tailgate as it is for the doors that means my tailgate lock cylinder was broken. I thought I could drill the lock out but that didn't work the way I planned, bit caught the cylinder and spun it around. After that the cylinder just popped out. I could see the little rod but trying to push our pull it did nothing. With glass down only 5 out of 8 screws were accessible. I took them out and bent the cover to expose latch assy. It was tough b/c I had to cram in the back. But I did unlock it. The damage is barely noticeable unless one is ocd. Mopar parts overstock has most of what I need. I'm trying to find decent cheep replacement on eBay. It's a learning process. I only need to replace door handles and latches and a lot of weather stripping. No problem.
Fluids are OK. Guys who pulled it out of a barn took care of brakes and seals and filters so if runs well and feels safe. I Think I'll update my profile and move to restoration forum.
What the hell? This is confusing. Why would you drill the lock out? All you have to do is remove the clip that holds it in.
Unread 06-15-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

And no glass blocking the tail gate lock.
Unread 06-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #8
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
And no glass blocking the tail gate lock.
How does this happen? I've never seen a YJ tailgate with glass integrated, has always been part of the soft top / hard top assembly. I'm confused...
Unread 06-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yes sir, thats what i mean. there is no glass blocking the rear lock so he must be speaking of the door lock cylinder
Unread 06-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
yjBlack94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The back was locked when I bought the Jeep so I drilled the lock cylinder out, b/c replacement cylinder is cheaper than a locksmith. But since it was locked I had access to only 5 out of the 8 screws to the cover plate b/c glass was down.
Unread 06-17-2014, 05:03 AM   #11
Other_Erik
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjBlack94 View Post
The back was locked when I bought the Jeep so I drilled the lock cylinder out, b/c replacement cylinder is cheaper than a locksmith. But since it was locked I had access to only 5 out of the 8 screws to the cover plate b/c glass was down.
I think I get what you're saying now. The lock was seized in the locked position and the tailgate closed, so you couldn't get to 3 of the bolts that hold the plate in place (the ones nearest the driver side where the tailgate mates up to the tub). Yep, not much you can do in that situation unless you want to remove the tailgate hinges and pull the tailgate off from the hinge side.

I still don't follow on the glass being down - you mean you have a hardtop, and couldn't get to the screws on top of the plate because that was in the way?

O_E
Unread 06-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #12
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I wish I had seen this post a few days ago as I have just gone through this same thing. I had no door key and the ignition switch had been changed and now uses a GM style key (go figure). So I pulled the passenger lock tumbler and took it to my local locksmith. He made a key for it and it fits all doors and the tailgate. I did have to lube the tailgate cylinder like crazy but it did finally loosen up. The locksmith charged $25, cheap money.
paulsadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2014, 03:23 PM   #13
yjBlack94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like no one had the same problem as me. But I'm almost done with it. Still don't know how to fix the lock cylinder hole but that's a minor problem. Btw, AMC jeeps used GM style key so they probably replaced ignition cylinder with w/e was laying around.

Tags
body repair , lock mechanism , mopar , original

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.