replacing spider gears in D35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replacing spider gears in D35

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

replacing spider gears in D35

So i have a whole spare axle laying around that i had taken out of my jeep because the pinion gear sheared off. Seems like everything else in it is still in good shape so ive been keeping it around for spare parts. But i had an idea about welding my spider gears up. My jeep isnt a dailey driver but it is driven on the road every once and awhile. I was wondering how hard it would be to weld the spider gears up on the old axle and put them in my good axle for when we have a mud bog. Then put the regular ones back in for just my normal trail driving and road driving. We hold a mud bog only once or twice a year so the regular gears would be in it most of the time. Since i have the spare does anyone think it would be worth trying? Or is it more work than its worth?

hester88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Dre40

1992 YJ Wrangler 

all lot more work then it worth. you would have to set up the gears every time you change them out. you might want to look into fixing the one axle and put a spool in it and just change out axles when you go to the mud bogs. or replace the ring and pinon and weld up the spiders. just my 2C
Dre40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

34" tires and a welded Dana 35 is a recipe for disaster. I don't believe the D35 will hold up to that tire size, welded and in a mud bog that is based on wheel speed and horsepower.

Also, if you weld the spider gears in the carrier they aren't coming out. You could do a fozzy locker which welds a few teeth in each spider gear to keep it locked but still allow them to be removed. I don't really like that idea or welding the spider gears but the lincoln locker has been done many times. My opinion is to put a beefier axle and a lunchbox locker but that's just me.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre40 View Post
all lot more work then it worth. you would have to set up the gears every time you change them out. you might want to look into fixing the one axle and put a spool in it and just change out axles when you go to the mud bogs. or replace the ring and pinon and weld up the spiders. just my 2C

Normally there is no need to set R&P backlash when changing spider gears.....however, once he welds the spider gears in the carrier, the only way he is going to swap them, is to swap the entire carrier including the spider gears. There are multiple reasons why this whole idea should just be forgotten about.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
mntbkrguy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have welded 2 D35's the first one on the XJ then on the YJ. I thought I did a great job on the XJ, I added a small wedge to each corner where the spiders mesh but I didn't weld them to the carrier. I got around on that for a few weeks went on some mud trips then while driving down the street SNAP crunch crunch..... I managed to just crack all the spiders into little pieces so I got an ausie locker that worked like a charm. On the YJ I really took my time added the wedges and welded them to the carrier heated everything up before I began welding then the same thing except this time I cracked the carrier and everything! That is when I just went for the 8.8.

My humble advice, same the trouble and save some dollars for a lunchbox locker if you don't want to replace the axle. Another idea if you might replace the axle eventually is to put the locker up front that way no wasted $$$. I was able to still sell my old d35 even though it was messed up. People always need replacement shafts that might just cover the cost of the locker.
mntbkrguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntbkrguy View Post
I have welded 2 D35's the first one on the XJ then on the YJ. I thought I did a great job on the XJ, I added a small wedge to each corner where the spiders mesh but I didn't weld them to the carrier. I got around on that for a few weeks went on some mud trips then while driving down the street SNAP crunch crunch..... I managed to just crack all the spiders into little pieces so I got an ausie locker that worked like a charm. On the YJ I really took my time added the wedges and welded them to the carrier heated everything up before I began welding then the same thing except this time I cracked the carrier and everything! That is when I just went for the 8.8.

My humble advice, same the trouble and save some dollars for a lunchbox locker if you don't want to replace the axle. Another idea if you might replace the axle eventually is to put the locker up front that way no wasted $$$. I was able to still sell my old d35 even though it was messd up. People always need replacement shafts that might just cover the cost of the locker.
So you're saying put a locker in the front and upgrade the rear axle? Or use a locker in the rear also? I was wondering if the d35 would be worth even spending the money for a locker for it.
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
mntbkrguy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

In my XJ since the carrier was fine but the spider gears were gone I replaced the gears with an ausie. On the YJ I put the locker up front only because I was regearing it and on the D30 you have to remove the ring gear in order to instal a lunchbox locker so I figured that was the easiest way to go for me. I will add a locker in the rear when I have the $$.

In this case it is a little more work (as stated above) to add a locker up front but it won't be money wasted. If however this jeep is not doing anything extreme and doesn't see a replacement axle anywhere in the future I don't think a locker in the D35 is a bad idea just don't go spending a fortune on a selectable or detroit locker.
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #8
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

How does the lunchbox locker in the front handle? I've read for the rear it can still be squirrely on the road from it ratcheting in and out. This jeep is just a play toy but I don't do anything very extreme in it. Deep mud, some trails, and a few hills so I don't think upgrading the axle is really worth the money for me. Just wanting both tires to turn cuz its a pain to cross small ditches.
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #9
mntbkrguy

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't really notice it in either of the 2 and I have TJ shafts in the front of my YJ so the driveshaft is always spinning. The only time I ever notice it in the front is in 4wd when I hit the gas. I don't even hear it click in the YJ.
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet. I'll have to look into that for mine then.
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #11
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hester88 View Post
How does the lunchbox locker in the front handle? I've read for the rear it can still be squirrely on the road from it ratcheting in and out. This jeep is just a play toy but I don't do anything very extreme in it. Deep mud, some trails, and a few hills so I don't think upgrading the axle is really worth the money for me. Just wanting both tires to turn cuz its a pain to cross small ditches.
Auto locker in your front axle will be nearly invisible in 2wd. On a slow sharp turn like in to a parking space, you may / probably will hear the clicking noise which is actually telling you the locker is working as it should. Other than this, you will never notice the locker in the front axle while in 2wd. Notice I said in the FRONT axle and while in 2wd. You go slapping an auto locker in the rear axle, do not expect the same results. Auto locker in front axle, off road and in 4wd, = love.... you will wonder how you ever did without one. Auto locker in front axle and in 4wd on snow/ice covered pavement is probably as close to suicide as you will ever come. Not good. You will probably have to drive on snow / ice covered pavement in 2wd, then use 4wd and the locker to get out of the ditch you slid in to.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
burnout189
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
Normally there is no need to set R&P backlash when changing spider gears.....however, once he welds the spider gears in the carrier, the only way he is going to swap them, is to swap the entire carrier including the spider gears. There are multiple reasons why this whole idea should just be forgotten about.
x2 on this right here ^^ hit the nail on the head.

BARNHART'S AUTO REPAIR
burnout189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Don't ever weld up a rear diff that's got c-clip axle retention. When it breaks an axle something bad's gonna happen when the axle leaves the vehicle. An axle with an outer retainer is the only thing you should consider welding. Good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
I was thinking about this that i would have to relace the whole carrier. Which isnt a big deal since i have a whole spare. But how hard and what is the big disadvantage to doing this? Keep in mind i do light wheelin. We have a mud pit which i have already made through without any axle mod on the 34s. Other than that we do easy trails. My big deal with wanting to be able to put a welded one in is to mainly cross ditches a lot easier. And of course do better in the mud. But i dont have the knowledge or tools to set R&P backlash so if its not as easy as pulling it apart and swapping it with the welded one then i wouldnt be able to do it. So i guess my big question is besides the axle shafts being weak what else is the big disadvantage about this and is it possible to be able to just pull the whole carrier out and drop the welded one in? I believe that the light wheelin i do that the axles would be able to hold up for awhile at least. If not i can always replace the shaft with one of my spares and put the regular carrier back in.
Unread 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Don't ever weld up a rear diff that's got c-clip axle retention. When it breaks an axle something bad's gonna happen when the axle leaves the vehicle. An axle with an outer retainer is the only thing you should consider welding. Good luck
If my idea is possible and i would be able to swap the carriers when i decide to go off roading i think i would be ok with the welded gears. I wouldnt be driving everyday on them and my trails arent far from my house so i wouldnt be on the road very much with them. When we arent planning a trail/mud run i can just put the regular carrier back in for more road driving. Thats if this would even work. So as far as the shaft randomly breaking cuz of the weld it would be at slower speeds so if happens hopefully wouldnt cause a whole lot of damage.

Tags
axle , spider gears , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.