replacing speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replacing speakers

TJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-07-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

replacing speakers

So I have been fixing my jeep up and finally got to the radio. when I bought this jeep I changed the radio out with a used one I had. well after a big rainstorm the inside of the car was flooded and with it went the radio. I changed cowl seal, hardtop corners were missing, door weather stripping needed repair. now I can put the radio in. I checked and the speakers are shot, need to change them and where did I turn to, JeepForum. just the place to pick up some info, always great info and great people who really try to help. Found a great write-up with picks and went for it. only advise I would give anyone is "check the speakers before you re-assemble". I cannot believe I had to do it twice because one of the "new" speakers was no good.

b2super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
shoebone
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Good advice, unfortunately, a lot of what we buy these days doesn't have the Quality we expect !
So .... which speakers did you go for ?
shoebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced with a pep boy generic 4 x 6 called Sponpex.
Unread 08-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

this is strange, my wiring must be so screwed up. I am wiring my new radio and no power. checked and blown fuse under hood. replaced and now have power but no starter. pulled the fuse and now can start, you figure. ran new wire from battery to solve that. now my wire from ignition has no power. I hate wiring, feel like a dog chasing my tail that is why I decided just to run new ones. just wondering how good are my speaker lines. did I say I love my jeep?
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
Jastrauskas
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had trouble getting my new speakers to work. So instaed of trying to figure out the 4 wires going to the plug i ran new speaker wire to resolve the issue.
07 cobalt 2.2l a4
Jastrauskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #6
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

on my 95 YJ I bought a 5 1/4 pod that goes infront of the shifters, and 6x9 pods that goes around the rollbar/wheel well. I used infiniti refereces and powered them by an amp they sounded great. I plan on doing the same with my 89
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I want to run a new ignition power line where should I pick it up from?
Unread 08-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I spelled the peakers I bought wrong. I bought Sondpex. here is http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...?quantity=1the link
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
b2super
1993 YJ Wrangler 

took off a dashboard cover and loosened steering wheel. followed ignition wires, checked and found the one that was powered when ignition was on and off when off. spliced into, put a 10 amp inline fuse and ran to radio with it. hooked her up and "yes" I do have a radio. just can't make sense out of that radio fuse. why did it not start if I replace with a good one? alls well for now thanks guys.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.