Replacing Slave Cylinder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing Slave Cylinder

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-02-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
bcshome
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing Slave Cylinder

I've been having trouble with my cluth since I purchase a '91 YJ with 160,000 miles. Then clutch pedal feels really good most of the time but while sitting with the clutch pedal depressed the vehicle will try to pull away after a few minutes. Usually while your stopped at a light and behind another car! Anyway, I bled the clutch and filled with new fluid. The original fluid was black. I thought the problem was solved but it the symptoms returned. I then let a mechanic bleed the system. Again the system returned. This weekend I replaced the clutch master cylinder. The symtoms remain. So, I'm thinking it's the clutch slave unit that needs replacing. Unfortunately, on the '91 Wrangler YJ 6 cylinder, AX15 with NP231, the mounted the slave inside the transmission.

So, I'm now contemplating whether to drop the $500 or so in labor charges and let a mechanic do it or try to drop the transmission and do it myself. I'm pretty good with the wrenches and do most of my own work but I'm concerned that this might be more than I can handle by myself.

Has anyone performed this surgery that's willing to share your advice. Just how hard would this be?

bcshome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Duncan71
1992 YJ Wrangler 

hey man, i just completed this job on my 92. If you have a mechanic that will do it all for 500 bucks all in. I would reccomend doing that. It cost me near that to do it myself (although we are talking canadian dollars for me).

Master Cylinder: 100
Slave kit: 230
(your better of going with a full clutch kit that will cost about 100 bucks more)
Tranny/Tcase Fluids: 100
Hydraulic line: 50
And then odds and ends for new tools you would need.

If you do decide to do it yourseld let me know, I will gladly lend any advice I can. The job is extremely time consuming, but I dont think it is that hard in a sense that you cant really break anything or put it all back together wrong. Worst case scenario is you have line leaks.
Duncan71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #3
redfox86

1995 ZJ 

I replaced the flywheel, slave cylinder, and clutch on my '87, it's a different trans (BA-10) but the principles are the same. I've swapped about 10 transmissions on various cars, and this was my first manual trans removal. I can say it is alot easier to reinstall than an automatic.

I would think it would cost around $600-700 total with labor and parts for a shop to do it, so if you want to save a few bucks, I would do it myself. I don't know exactly how much it would cost for you, but I paid about $200 for a whole clutch kit: slave cyl, clutch disc, and pressure plate. I recommend changing the clutch disc too like Duncan71 said, it will save you the time and $$$ later when the clutch decides to go.

I think it could easily be done in a weekend if you are fairly mechanically inclined and don't run into huge problems. If you decide to go ahead with it, definitely have a friend help you lowering and raising the trans, you don't want that slipping off the jack when you are lowering it, I use a ratchet strap to secure it to the jack, it really helps. It also helps to have two hydraulic floor jacks if you can get them, but one will do the job. As far as tools go besides a good set of hand tools, you will need a bunch of long extensions to help you reach the top bolts that hold the trans to the motor, a set of 12 pt. sockets, a hydraulic floor jack and jack stands (make sure you have plenty of support for the jeep), and a friend. I would suggest grabbing a Haynes manual or looking around on here and checking out all the steps to see if you are up to it, but there are plenty of people on here who can help you out with pretty much anything. One of the worst things that can happen (besides the trans falling on a hand) is breaking a bolt while taking the exhaust off, which I've done a couple times. Not too big of a deal, but it can be a hassle to fix. Use plenty of PB blaster, spray it on early and often.

Overall, it is an involved process, but it is definitely doable and will give you plenty of wrenching experience if you plan on working more on your Jeep.
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3086854

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a chain of convenience stores, not a government agency.
redfox86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
PhilipSandgren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey everybody, i have a jeep wrangler 1989 with a clutch problem. one morning it started to loose pressure the next there was none at all. i had only driven for 30 min the day before. also there was fuid coming out under my dash, it was dark but was the same fluid in my master cylinder, so that left me really confused, i ask around and was told it was my master cylinder. which seemed to make sense i thought that maybe it was letting in air, so i did a quick bleed to test. well it never stopped blowing out bubbles when i did the tube bleed. so now im still thinking it is my master cylinder but i wanted to make sure and ask if it sounds like it could be me slave cylinder or pressure plate, or worst of all my clutch its self.

thanks for your help!

Philip
PhilipSandgren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipSandgren View Post
Hey everybody, i have a jeep wrangler 1989 with a clutch problem. one morning it started to loose pressure the next there was none at all. i had only driven for 30 min the day before. also there was fuid coming out under my dash, it was dark but was the same fluid in my master cylinder, so that left me really confused, i ask around and was told it was my master cylinder. which seemed to make sense i thought that maybe it was letting in air, so i did a quick bleed to test. well it never stopped blowing out bubbles when i did the tube bleed. so now im still thinking it is my master cylinder but i wanted to make sure and ask if it sounds like it could be me slave cylinder or pressure plate, or worst of all my clutch its self.

thanks for your help!

Philip
Fluid coming out under the dash is the primary symptom of a master cylinder. You may, or may not, have additional issues but replacing the master cylinder is cheap & easy, so start there.

About $50 bucks gets you a master cylinder from www.rockauto.com and I recommend them highly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
PhilipSandgren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok thanks i talked with you last night and i really thank you for you help you seem to do will mean max
Unread 02-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
PhilipSandgren
1989 YJ Wrangler 

oh one more question should the fluid be black?
Unread 02-03-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok thanks i talked with you last night and i really thank you for you help you seem to do will mean max
No problem, there's a lot of good people & info here on JF!

Quote:
oh one more question should the fluid be black?
The old fluid will probably be dark, but the new DOT 4 fluid will be more of a light "honey" color when you refill it.

After you install & bleed the new one, it may feel fine but don't be surprised if it starts feeling even better as time goes by. Any trapped air usually bleeds itself out rather quickly, due to the vertical nature if the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
heep1991
2007 JK Wrangler 

1st- Bleed clutch with plastic tube that u can get at home depot for 3 dollars think its 1/2 tubing. It works wonders to get all air out. Fill a cup or jar with brake fluid and put tube from bleeder into jar and you can bleed system by your self and it gets all air out.

2nd- I replaced my Tranny on my 91 jeep like 5 times. take it out in 1-2 hours. Anyone with level surface can remove it with floor jack. Take off drive shaft 4 bolts, speedometter sensor unplug, remove cover from shifter and remove shifter 4 bolts, unbolt 4 wheel drive shifter 2 bolts, remove front drive shaft 4 bolts, remove 2 bolts from tranny mount, place jack on rear of tranny, unbolt skid plate 6 bolts might need pipe to put on end of ratchet for better leverage, drain tranny and t-case, place jack under tranny, remove tranny mount from exhaust, remove bellhousing bolts 6-8 bolts make diagram out of card board to remember the order from where you removed them, pull out tranny and t-case.

3rd- installing clutch is just removing 6-8 bolts and pulling old slave cyclinder off and installing new one. The kit you pick up from autozone comes with new clutch, slave cyclinder and alinement tool.

4th- installing it can be tricky, easiest way, get another jack to jack up engine to make it level, to stab tranny just move tranny side to side till the input shaft lines up with engine. then install everything as you took it off. 2-4 hours

That about sums it up for most part, save your money for something else for Jeep. Good luck
heep1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
heep1991
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox86 View Post
I replaced the flywheel, slave cylinder, and clutch on my '87, it's a different trans (BA-10) but the principles are the same. I've swapped about 10 transmissions on various cars, and this was my first manual trans removal. I can say it is alot easier to reinstall than an automatic.

I would think it would cost around $600-700 total with labor and parts for a shop to do it, so if you want to save a few bucks, I would do it myself. I don't know exactly how much it would cost for you, but I paid about $200 for a whole clutch kit: slave cyl, clutch disc, and pressure plate. I recommend changing the clutch disc too like Duncan71 said, it will save you the time and $$$ later when the clutch decides to go.

I think it could easily be done in a weekend if you are fairly mechanically inclined and don't run into huge problems. If you decide to go ahead with it, definitely have a friend help you lowering and raising the trans, you don't want that slipping off the jack when you are lowering it, I use a ratchet strap to secure it to the jack, it really helps. It also helps to have two hydraulic floor jacks if you can get them, but one will do the job. As far as tools go besides a good set of hand tools, you will need a bunch of long extensions to help you reach the top bolts that hold the trans to the motor, a set of 12 pt. sockets, a hydraulic floor jack and jack stands (make sure you have plenty of support for the jeep), and a friend. I would suggest grabbing a Haynes manual or looking around on here and checking out all the steps to see if you are up to it, but there are plenty of people on here who can help you out with pretty much anything. One of the worst things that can happen (besides the trans falling on a hand) is breaking a bolt while taking the exhaust off, which I've done a couple times. Not too big of a deal, but it can be a hassle to fix. Use plenty of PB blaster, spray it on early and often.

Overall, it is an involved process, but it is definitely doable and will give you plenty of wrenching experience if you plan on working more on your Jeep.
In my 4cyl I was able to unbolt tranny and raise it over the exhaust and not have to unbolt it. can save time if your able to do it in 6 cyl and maybe alot of time.
heep1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #11
redfox86

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
In my 4cyl I was able to unbolt tranny and raise it over the exhaust and not have to unbolt it. can save time if your able to do it in 6 cyl and maybe alot of time.
In my 6, there wasn't much room between the firewall and the back of the valve cover, so I don't know if you can tilt the motor back far enough to give you the angle to go over the exhaust. Worth a try if you can get it, just watch your clearances, you don't want to damage the valve cover against the firewall or pinch anything back there. It might be easier just to take the exhaust off right away than wrestling the trans over the exhaust though.
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3086854

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a chain of convenience stores, not a government agency.
redfox86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
bcshome
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks to all Jeep Forum contributors. I'm leaning very heavily toward replacing this myself. DIY saves labor costs. Approximately $500 in this case. The clutch master was really easy to replace. Looks like this weekend calls for a new slave and clutch!
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #13
bcshome
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Help! Situation is now worse

So I rented a few tools, bought a clutch kit and master cylinder and went to work. The job wasn't really very hard. Everything seemed to go fine until time to test drive. My problem is now worse than it was to begin with. Finding reverse is next to impossible and the vehicle tries to pull away with only a slight flinching of the foot.

I've bled the line several times but it hasn't resolved the problem. The pedal is hard.

I changed out the Master, Slave, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Pilot Bearing.

Only thing I didn't change was the hydraulic line from the master to the slave.

I just can't figure out how things could have gone wrong.
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
bcshome
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So I rented a few tools, bought a clutch kit and master cylinder and went to work. The job wasn't really very hard. Everything seemed to go fine until time to test drive. My problem is now worse than it was to begin with. Finding reverse is next to impossible and the vehicle tries to pull away with only a slight flinching of the foot.

I've bled the line several times but it hasn't resolved the problem. The pedal is hard.

I changed out the Master, Slave, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Pilot Bearing.

Only thing I didn't change was the hydraulic line from the master to the slave.

I just can't figure out how things could have gone wrong.
Unread 02-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #15
bcshome
1991 YJ Wrangler 

pics of clutch kit

here are some pics of the kit I used. this product came from checker auto. Is this an inferior product? could that be causing my problem? Is it possible for the line from the master to the slave to be the problem?
clutch-replacement-001.jpg   clutch-replacement-002.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.