Replacing slave cylinder on 4cyl. YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing slave cylinder on 4cyl. YJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Replacing slave cylinder on 4cyl. YJ

Alright guys, my buddies slave cylinder has gone out on his YJ. We're planning to replace it sometime this weekend and I was wondering if someone could give us some advice on how to go about doing it.

Unread 11-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

What year?????? Big difference. With 93 and older you need to drop the transmission or at least slide it back some (PITA). With 94+95 models you can just unbolt it and be done.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:33 PM   #3
otorahanga
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If it is internal - rent a transmission jack. And plan on starting sooner rather than later in the weekend, it's probably going to take a while.

Other than that, you could go back in time and give the crossmember bolts a week's worth of PB Blast.

Have fun!
otorahanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #4
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Read. The. Manual!!!!
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Lol, he doesn't have a manual, and if he did I don't think it would do us any good anyway.

It's a 1990. I geuss they got started yesterday dropping the tranny. I'll be able to help later today.

I was just wondering if there was some online help I could look at.
Unread 11-30-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayIV
Lol, he doesn't have a manual, and if he did I don't think it would do us any good anyway.

It's a 1990. I geuss they got started yesterday dropping the tranny. I'll be able to help later today.

I was just wondering if there was some online help I could look at.
Yeah, well, a manual would be about the best twenty bucks he could spend! I'm real fastidious about this...on every vehicle I wrench on, the very first purchase I make is a manual, and there's a lotta information there that will avoid you having to come onto a forum and ask the guys who DO have the manuals and are willing to take the time to either look up the answer, or simply know the answer outta hand... No offense intended, but it's REAL important to have a manual and to use it before using a forum, in my opinion. Forums are very useful for those questions that fall between the cracks, or for those questions not answered or answered well by the manuals!!!

And, since you DON'T have a manual, let me just tell ya that a manual would help you out a great deal!!! I prefer Haynes, others prefer Chiltons and/or the FSM...

Good luck...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
QuebecCharlie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A forum is for anything people want it to be for. Just because you have a manual doesn't mean he can't come on here and ask a good question. Why buy a manual when there are people who can give personal advice and tips and tricks on here for free?

1995 YJ Wrangler - Completely Rhino Lined, 5.5" Lift w/ sway disconnects
2001 WK Grand Cherokee - 2.5" lift. Nitto Tires
QuebecCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #8
liftedyj91

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's easy. You can take the tcase off to make it lighter or leave em together. Support the engine. Remove the shifter from inside the jeep so u can drop it. To remove slide up the little rubber peice. Push down on the collar and turn counter clock wise and it should pop up and out very simple. I u remove tcase drain the fluid first. Unhook you crank sensor speedo cable vac lines if applicable. Support the Trans tcase if still on and unbolt the bell housing from the motor and slide it back and lower it down. It's a good ideal to inspect the clutch or fly and replace the clutch and/or turn the fly so u don't have to do this again for a while. The clutch line that runs to the slave has like a push pull deal to disconnect it. Do that before u lower it so u don't break it. That about covers it. The internal slave just kinda slides out and new one goes on and is secured by a little pin. Leave the straps on they will pop off the first time u press the clutch. Bolts it back together. Bleed the slave and ur done! I'm pretty sure that's all there is to it. Did mine a while back before the v8 swap.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.