Replacing slave cylinder - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing slave cylinder

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #16
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't put any in it. I checked to make sure it was full but have not changed it. The jeep has 138,000 miles on it. I'm going into this blind hoping to find a lite to follow. lol

Roadyy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Drain it and put in 10w-30 motor oil. See if that helps. Also drain the old fluid into a clean container. Look for brass in the oil. Your syncros maybe on the way out. Do the fluid change before spending any $$ on the master/slave. It may cure your problem.
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:32 PM   #18
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the heads up I will bring some home tomorrow and do the oil change and post an update. Thanks again.
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:20 AM   #19
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I'm going to flush my tranny out tomorrow nite and replace with 10w30 oil to see if thats the problem. I have been checking prices on prefilled m/c s/c combo and found quadretec has it for 160.00+26.00 ground shipping. I can get one from dodge dealer for 197.00 next day. Is the quadratec a better quality for 10 bucks less if that is the next step? Which I truly believe it will be. I talked to the po and he said the mech that installed it would not warranty the installation as he no longer owns the jeep.
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #20
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Try DORMAN Part # CC649002 for $106.49 at RockAuto Auto Parts for a replacement.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
CountryStyle
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I put in the quadatech one a few months ago, was a nice unit, $160 and I dont pay shipping (20 miles from their warehouse). Good luck with it!
CountryStyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have noticed from other posts that Mean Max gives pretty solid advice and the price is awesome.
Thanks Mean Max. I really appreciate the advice.
Unread 03-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #23
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady2u View Post
I have noticed from other posts that Mean Max gives pretty solid advice and the price is awesome.
Thanks Mean Max. I really appreciate the advice.
Thanks for the kudos.

I just do what I can.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #24
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I try to give it where its deserved and I have read enough threads and seen the trust others put in your advise.
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:41 PM   #25
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I got to thinking, while waiting on my daughter to get out of her teen small group at church, how much oil will it take to fill the tranny when I flush and replace and how do I get the oil in there. I couldn't think of a way to get it past the tc skid plate to the fill hole. IDK. It's not like gear oil bottle with a hose so hmmm. I know one of you can tell me and so I can realize my idiocy,lol
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:50 PM   #26
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I used Mean Max's trick/ technique. Remove the shifter boot or whole tin trans cover with the boot and all if you have no carpet, remove the shifter from the trans with the 1/4 push down and twist. Then aftre you drain the old fluid replace the drain plug, remove the fill plug and then pour the 10w-30 right in thru the shifter hole. Stop when it starts to run out of the fill plug. I bought a 5 qt jug of Walmart super tech stuff. It takes just over 3qt's IIRC..
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:11 PM   #27
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I should buy 1 5 qt jug and another single qt bottle since it is a good idea to flush it with new oil then drain again then put the oil in to stay correct? I just wanna make sure it'sd done rite the first time if this is the culpret. Hope you understand the multiple questions.
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #28
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It's fine. Sure I'd fill it up then take it for a short ride then dump it and refill. Try to drain that old fluid when the trans is warm. the short ride with the new 10-30 will help get the rest out. The final fill should have you set. just the short 10 mi ride I took my Jeep on today and the trans shifts smooth. I dumped out gear oil before the fill. I'll probably run it a few weeks and dump it again. 138,000 and it's probably the stuff that it left the factory with in 92. Oh the drain plug is magnetic. Be sure and clean the ball of grey metal dust off of it before you reinstall it.
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #29
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks burnerman. I will post my results here when I get-r-did.
Unread 04-03-2010, 12:50 PM   #30
Roadyy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok this is a bummer. I flushed the tranny with 10w30 oil and its still doing the samething, but it's doesn't seem to be as bad as before. I am gonna order the m/c-s/c prefilled from rockauto and replace the aftermarket junk thats in there now. If this doesn't cure what's ailling us, looks like I'll be doing an extensively detailed rebuild of an ax-5 tranny. I haven't found one thru all of my searches on someone detailing this particular tranny. Will update this post after I get the new parts in. Thanks to MeanMax for your help so far and hope to get more advice from you later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.