Replacing Shocks / Window Frame - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing Shocks / Window Frame

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
DTSMA68
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing Shocks / Window Frame

I have 31 inch tires and I have decided to replace the shocks myself. Do you have to jack up the vehicle or support it? Or, is it easy as just unbolting them and installing the new ones?

I am replacing the windshield frame. If I have problems with the bolts attached to the main body, is it possble to push out the hinge pin and attach new (junk yard) upper hinges to the window frame and then slide the pin back in? I am only thinking of this as an option.

Thanks

DTSMA68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
frankmurphy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a problem getting the hinge bolts out, just drill them, your new windshield frame should have the proper brackets inside of it that you will need, if it doesn't your probly gonna have to cut the windshield frame, take the pieces out, hope you don't ahve the wiper assembly in yet cause it makes this hard, put them inside the new frame, i used threaded rod so i could keep the bracket from moving, and it makes it easier to line up, oh and i hope your new frames got a windshield already.
frankmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
4sqrlfury
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm at work, so I don't remember exactly, but I think the pins are flared at one end and capped at the other, so you won't be able to simply hammer them out. They might also be welded to one of the brackets, I don't know for sure. You might have to cut the pin and then replace it with a new one. What I would try first is to simply remove the bracket from the windshield frame, leave it in place, and bolt the new frame to the existing bracket. I would only replace the bracket if it were damaged beyond reuse. Even if you have problems getting the bolts out of the frame, just drill them out and get new bolts.

If you're not removing your dash completely, the bracket removal from the body will be very difficult. The nuts that are on the inside are tough to access and manipulate even with the dash completely taken off. They are embedded in a layer of insulation adhesive which you have to pick away in order to grip them with a wrench. It took me several hours of frustration and bleeding knuckles to finally get them all out.
4sqrlfury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.