Replacing Rear Main Seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing Rear Main Seal

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
OneWhiteDoor
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing Rear Main Seal

So just bought this 87 Wrangler 4.2 with 118000 miles on it and after going through and tinkering with the carb and other issues to get it running nice, I have noticed that the rear main crank seal is leaking pretty good.

How do I change it without dropping the tranny?

OneWhiteDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
rocketboy

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do some searching on the site. There's plenty of threads dealing with this. Basically, you drop the pan and remove the bottom half of the rear crank bearing and remove it in two pieces. The Haynes manual tells you how as well.
rocketboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #3
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple of Utube videos Part I/II shows you all with some pretty good tips.

jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forums. Your problem is common, try using search Google: "site:www.jeepforum.com then your search terms"

Then check the FAQs.
sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

All of the above. I've replaced mine too many times but the seal I had most success with was the single lip. The double lip ones always seemed to leak right after. Of course maybe I was not doing it right.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Dirty but satisfying job. Make yourself a brass punch from a brass dowel rod, that way when you punch out your old seal from the block, you minimize the risk of damaging critical surfaces. Use a Felpro one-piece pan gasket, and when you remove all the pan bolts, punch them thru a piece of cardboard that you have drawn out the gasket outline on so that you put them back in the right holes. There are different lengths and sizes involved, some are stud top bolts, etc and it's best to get them all back in the right holes. The cardboard trick will solve that issue. The 4 cylinder requires pulling the tranny, but you can do it with the tranny in on the 6 cylinder. If the videos and threads you find do not seem to be adequate, post back in and I'll help you search for more threads.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.