Replacing Plastic Valve Cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing Plastic Valve Cover

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 10-25-2001, 12:54 AM   #1
JeepTodd

Replacing Plastic Valve Cover

I'm going to be replacing the valve cover on my 87 YJ. The plastic one is leaking like crazy and is beginning to crack. I was looking at replacing it with an aluminum cover but want to know what anyone thinks about this. Is there any thing special to do or do they just bolt on like the plastic one would and is it worth the extra money. Any help. Thanks

Unread 10-25-2001, 10:40 AM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

Well that was what I was going to do until they said I would have to drill and tap my head.I know how to drill and tap but not going to that on my head,one mistake good mean a little head ache.If you want to replace the cover go to the dealer,there are I think 3 types,
take your old one with you and buy the cork type gasket they work better than the gasket sealer you can order that from about every auto parts store they fit 86 87 and others there all the same on that end.But the dealer does not carry the gasket they say use gasket maker,that did not work for me!Mine leaks but very little.Be careful not to over tighten
made that mistake also so I been through 2 covers already $$$.Krage has the gasket for about 4.00 www.jeepdoc.com is were you can find them.
Unread 12-06-2001, 12:48 AM   #3
JeepTodd

Just replaced the valve cover with an aluminum cover from 4WD parts and its the best investment yet. I now have absolutely no leaks from the valve cover and the engine sounds much quieter. Well worth the $100.00 for any one interested.
Unread 12-06-2001, 07:07 AM   #4
glm 87 wrangler

Did you have any problems with the rocker arm bridge holes the 2 extra in the top or did it come without it. I have an 87 an would really like to add one did not have to drill and tap the head did you.If you have the part number and any other info about it let me know. Thanks,Gary
Unread 12-06-2001, 07:22 AM   #5
glm 87 wrangler

which 4WD parts cant find them?
Unread 12-06-2001, 07:43 AM   #6
CJay7
1985 CJ7 

Try this valve cover http://www.tellico4x4.com/alumvlvcov.htm
I installed this over a month ago and so far so good. There is no drilling or tapping at all, it is held down by two studs that are on the rocker bridges (complete rocker bridge with studs attached supplied) and uses RTV to seal instead of a gasket. The entire install took roughly 15 minutes (old valve cover was not on) and has not leaked or had a single problem yet. It is available in brushed or polished aluminum. I bought the brushed one for $155. So far it looks and works great.
'85 CJ-7 - 258 bored .030 w/ mid level cam, 4.0 head, Clifford intake and header, Weber 38, TFI w/ MSD 6, Black Diamond 3" lift, Daystar 1/2" lift shackles, 33x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs with stock 3.31 gears.
CJay7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2001, 10:03 PM   #7
JeepTodd

Here is the site for the one that I used. www.4wd.com Search for part # 639493 It does not have the extra holes on the top. I did not have to drill anything but had to tap two holes that are already drilled on the drivers side of the engine. I also had to buy new screws for the passegner side because they did not send enough of the correct size. Was a very easy job. Feel free to e-mail me if you want pictures or more details.
Unread 12-07-2001, 09:27 AM   #8
glm 87 wrangler

Thanks Jeeptodd been to that site a hundred
times and never found that one.I like the 109.00 price tag.not to bad...Also thanks to cjay7 for the info..Later guys..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.