Replacing Oil Pan Gasket How Hard? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing Oil Pan Gasket How Hard?

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 01-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing Oil Pan Gasket How Hard?

I need to replace this gasket, and wondering if it is a difficult job.

I'm assuming all I have to do is remove the oil after I drain the oil and then take out the old gasket and put in the new one.

Is there anything that I'm missing?

*I'm starting to love my '90 Jeep.

*My Jeep does not get me laid, but who cares.
Urb4nTr0ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
dream911tommy
1991 YJ Wrangler 

not hard just a pain kinda, wear clothes u dont care about as some oil will most likly spill on you, also go with the rubber gasket over cork imo, they move around a little during the job, so if possible an extra set of hands is nice to hold up the pan, if ur going this far an its the 4.2 u should bang in a new rear main seal at the same time its about an extra 10 mins but worth it if urs is leaking
dream911tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
Urb4nTr0ll
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream911tommy View Post
not hard just a pain kinda, wear clothes u dont care about as some oil will most likly spill on you, also go with the rubber gasket over cork imo, they move around a little during the job, so if possible an extra set of hands is nice to hold up the pan, if ur going this far an its the 4.2 u should bang in a new rear main seal at the same time its about an extra 10 mins but worth it if urs is leaking
It is a 2.5 4 cylinder engine. Thanks for the advice. I had no idea there were two type of gaskets.

*I'm starting to love my '90 Jeep.

*My Jeep does not get me laid, but who cares.
Urb4nTr0ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Very strait foward. Drain oil, remove pan bolts, drop pan, clean out pan, slip on the new sill, rvt where it says to rvt...

I would definatly recomend replacing the rear main sill at the same time. As stated it adds about an extra 10 minutes and requires no special tools. Do a google or forum search for "jeep rear main sill replacement".

Good luck let us know if anthing comes up.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

this is cake. i did this not too long ago on mine. drain the oil, take out the million bolts holding it in then take the old gasket off, put new one on(i used rtv with mine also) then put bolts back in and change oil filter and put new oil in
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #6
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Just don't go RTV crazy. If you ooze it into the pan TOOO much it will break off eventually in clumps and clog your screen intake for the oil pump causing your engine to go oit starved. RTV is good for this seal, but in moderation!!
hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.