Replacing lower Steering column Bearing on my YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing lower Steering column Bearing on my YJ

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 09-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #1
3whit
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Replacing lower Steering column Bearing on my YJ

Does anybody have a diagram of how this goes together. I took it apart carefully and I just don't see what actually holds the new bearing in place. The nylon piece is slipped in correctly the bearing is up against is as far as it will go and the outer cap and clip are all in place . It just doesn't look to me as if anything actually holds that bearing in place ????? A picture of a parts blow up would be helpful .My book does break it down that far . Any help will be appreciated .Thanks

3whit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple of diagrams of it...

kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
ech0sh4y
2005 KJ Liberty 

I am going to be doing the same thing! Let me know how it goes and any tips or tricks would be much appreciated! Thanks for the pictures!

~ Brian
2005 KJ CRD
2008 JK
ech0sh4y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
3whit
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks , for the pics, That is exactly it .When you slide it all together it just doesn't seem like any thing is really held in place .The bearing doesn't really pop into the nylon housing it just sort of hits against it ,the old one was that way also.Maybe when the spring clip is in place it somehow mysteriously holds things in place. Thanks again for your help .I have no slop now but still worried that it will just slip down the shaft and out ????
Unread 09-23-2008, 03:33 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have been wanting to do this myself but I have not been able to find anything on the top end. There has to be some kind of bearing or bushing up bearing the steering wheel. Doesn't there?

thx
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2008, 05:56 PM   #6
3whit
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
I have been wanting to do this myself but I have not been able to find anything on the top end. There has to be some kind of bearing or bushing up bearing the steering wheel. Doesn't there?

thx
From what I have read the upper column also has a bearing , to replace it involves removing the Steering Wheel,directional cam and getting down in there to it .Fortunately my upper was not sloppy. Still researching the lower one even though I have replaced it still think that bearing should click into the nylon part somehow . I will figure it out eventually with the forums help .Good luck with your project.
Unread 10-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the lower last year and its a lot better but still has some movement. I never heard much about the upper bearings but I would to change them also. Changing the lowers alone was a big improvement.
Mark455SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The bearing piece just slides onto the shaft. The outer retainer kinda locked on the inner on mine IIRC and then that clip holds the retainer on the outer housing. The bearing really can't go anywhere. The clip keeps it from sliding off. The clip should hold that outer metal retainer ring to the end of the steering tube coming out of the firewall.
Unread 10-02-2008, 07:01 AM   #9
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Try this, it's probably the best write-up to repair the steering column. It's aimed at the lower bearing replacement, but gives you enough info to do a lot more and should probably be added to one of the "sticky" posts if it isn't there already.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #10
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That link does cover the whole column and is a great link. BUT...The lower bearing replacement does not require complete disassembly of the column though. It's not easy to get the old bearing out due to the tight area by the brake booster but can be done. Also it is normal to have some play in that bearing. If the steering whell itself wiggles and has play then the column needs to come apart.
Unread 10-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
3whit
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lower steering column bearing replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
Try this, it's probably the best write-up to repair the steering column. It's aimed at the lower bearing replacement, but gives you enough info to do a lot more and should probably be added to one of the "sticky" posts if it isn't there already.
Thanks for the info . It looks like the bearing pops into the Nylon retainer in the picture of it in the right up. If that is the case I can at least understand what holds things together there ,however I could not get my bearing to pop into the nylon without cracking the nylon . Getting the old one out was easy I had just recently replaced the steering shaft so it compressed easily . I don't have excessive slop but I just want to be sure it is together correctly . Thanks for your thoughts ,I am sure we will figure this out . The jeep is my toy ,not my daily driver so time is not an issue .Thanks again
Unread 10-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #12
70sElvis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is this bearing something you have to get from the dealer or did you find it at a local discount autoparts place?
70sElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #13
darioc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sElvis View Post
Is this bearing something you have to get from the dealer or did you find it at a local discount autoparts place?
Got mine from Quadratec... Crown makes it. Wicked pita to replace, at least on mine it was.
darioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
70sElvis
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I pulled mine last night. Not too bad once I sprayed some PB blaster on it. Slid right out. Just wanted to be able to fix it by this weekend. I will check local parts stores to double check but may have to order from Quad.
70sElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #15
jeep350chevy
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just did a search and found this. just what i needed

a few questions i just took the crown part out of the package, and if you look and the balls in the bearing there is a space like one is missing. should it be like that?

and do you pack the bearing with grease ? is this a big job? this is the lower bearing
jeep350chevy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.