replacing fuel pump on YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replacing fuel pump on YJ

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
parpac316
1995 YJ Wrangler 

replacing fuel pump on YJ

How hard is it to replace the fuel pump on a 95 wrangler? I think mine is going out. I can hear it making noise for the last week and it seems to be getting worse everyday. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

parpac316 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2008, 10:41 PM   #2
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

You have to drop the fuel tank. It is inside the tank with the sending unit. I think it is a big enough pain in the butt that you should consider having a mechanic do it. But if you don't mind the work, run the tank til its empty so that it is lighter when you remove the tank, remove the bolts that hold the tank in place and lower the tank. The pump and sending unit attach on the top of the tank and sit inside it.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
Scott93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not to bad, just did it myself. took about an hour. Make sure what kind of gasket you have for the sneding unit. If it is the square one you will have to order it from the dealer.
Scott93yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2008, 08:56 PM   #4
sandersc

Speaking of the fuel pump, I started my Wrangler and heard a steady pitched relatively high humming sound coming from near the gas tank. Could this be a bad fuel pump? Any other ideas? The Jeep seems to run fine.
Thx!
sandersc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2008, 11:00 PM   #5
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

SANDERSC,

Possibly, but before you drop your tank and replace the pump, when is the last time you changed your fuel filter? If it hasn't been done for awhile, and you have a restriction, your pump could be screaming for help. Also, you have fuel return lines back to the tank and can get clogged up, making a strange sound. When all else fails, yes, it might be time to replace the pump. Also, don't forget to replace the gasket as well and since you'll have the tank down, do some preventative maintenance and replace those old fuel lines. BTW, please fill out your profile so we all know about your jeep and what you have in it!

Last edited by havasu; 07-27-2008 at 11:55 PM..
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 12:21 AM   #6
usmcestep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I was on the trail and my fuel pump went out, we dropped the fuel tank right there on the trail, went to advance and got a new one and fixed it.... Took about an hour.. Pretty easy, just get most of the gas out. I couldn't get mine out cause I was on a trail but it was pretty easy. Good luck!
Rear smittybilt bumper with swingout tire carrier
www.tnmudders.com
usmcestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #7
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

Easy to DIY. I have done mine 4 times now(dont ask) and I am relativley new to wrenches.
syphon tank empty or run it empty.
On the driver side you will have a dust sheild that cover the gas tank fill hoses under the jeep. remove it.
loosen the hose clamps on both the hoses going into the tank and pull them off.
The gas tank is held in by 7 bolts. you will see 9 bolts. the 2 odd looking ones in the back are the tank straps, dont remove them.
I put a floor jack with a board on it and jack it up under the tank so the tank wont fall
Then remove all 7 bolts, the tank will fall with a little fanangling.
let the tank down enough to unplug the sending unit and remove the 3 hoses... MARK the 2 that look alike so you can put them back on the sending unit the right way.
drop the tank....
pull it out and from there its really easy....
clean the top of the tank prior to unscrewing the sending unit so dust and mud doesnt fall in the tank.
pull the sending unit out, remove old pump and insert new pump.
put it back together, have a beer.
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 08:15 AM   #8
JPFREEK
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have an aftermarket exhaust that wouldn't let me drop the tank so I opted for cutting an access hole in the body (floor of the trunk area behind and under the rear seat). Actually pretty pleased with how it turned out. It's another option to dropping the tank and now if I ever need to do it again it'll take 15 minutes or less.

WNYOffroad;CNY Jeep
JPFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #9
darioc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFREEK View Post
I have an aftermarket exhaust that wouldn't let me drop the tank so I opted for cutting an access hole in the body (floor of the trunk area behind and under the rear seat). Actually pretty pleased with how it turned out. It's another option to dropping the tank and now if I ever need to do it again it'll take 15 minutes or less.
You cut the hole with the tank installed in the vehicle??? Pics? I was going to do the same thing once the tank was removed, but if I don't have to remove it, that would make things a lot easier.
darioc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2008, 09:19 AM   #10
JPFREEK
1991 YJ Wrangler 

no pics. I dropped the tank a couple inches and them used a small air body saw (similar to this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91753 ) I did my best to keep the panel removed intact. The panel did curl some when removing it, but I flattened it out and welded some small bar stock I had laying around across it. The panel now sets back into place and the flat bar holds it in place while a bead of silicone seals it. Now if I need access again I can just use a razor to cut the silicone and I don't have to lower the tank at all. I currently have the panel out and I am waiting until I Herc/Durabak the tub to finish it off 100%. In true redneck fashion, the hole is simply covered with duct tape right now.

WNYOffroad;CNY Jeep
Unread 07-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
darioc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
no pics. I dropped the tank a couple inches and them used a small air body saw (similar to this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91753 ) I did my best to keep the panel removed intact. The panel did curl some when removing it, but I flattened it out and welded some small bar stock I had laying around across it. The panel now sets back into place and the flat bar holds it in place while a bead of silicone seals it. Now if I need access again I can just use a razor to cut the silicone and I don't have to lower the tank at all. I currently have the panel out and I am waiting until I Herc/Durabak the tub to finish it off 100%. In true redneck fashion, the hole is simply covered with duct tape right now.
I figured you dropped a little bit. My only concern doing it that way is not knowing where to cut... If you could, could you post some pics? Thanks for your reply!
Unread 07-28-2008, 09:42 AM   #12
JPFREEK
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'll see what I can do, but no promises because of my crappy digi camera.

WNYOffroad;CNY Jeep
Unread 07-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
darioc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll see what I can do, but no promises because of my crappy digi camera.
Or if you could even measure how far in both directions you cut, that would be a HUGE help. I am assuming you cut a square out above the connectors, so how big is the square, how far from the right/left is it, and how far from the front/rear of the trunk deck is it? I know that's a lot of questions... sorry for the hassle. If you do not have the time I completely understand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.