replacing the fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replacing the fuel pump

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 10-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #1
AK1904

replacing the fuel pump

well it turns out i need a new fuel pump ...so i put one on order and i was wondering if any one knows how to or has replaced a fuel pump on a 90 wrangler i know that the fuel pump is the fuel tank which is a pain but i was hoping that i would be able to do it my self instead of having them do it for me.....any help on this subject or input would be great

AK1904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2003, 07:50 PM   #2
igotdoo

Disconnect negative battery terminal. We are working with fuel and electrical here.

Pull tank: 4 nuts in the back, 3 in the front. Pray the rear bolts (carriage bolts) dont spin, meaning you have to cut them off (I did)

Lower tank carefully, and disconnect output, return, fill, filler vent, and vent hoses. Disconnect electrical connector.

Pull tank fully out. Depending on your tank, you might have slightly different lock ring type mechanisms to remove sending unit.

Remove sending unit assembly. Pump is easily replaced now. Install NEW fuel pickup/filter screen. Take care inserting assembly back into tank, as it is easy to knock of screen, or bend fuel sending unit arm.

Install NEW o-ring seal for fuel tank, no matter how good yours looks. Pulling a tank twice is a real drag.

Reconnect. Take not that the fuel output and return lines are different sizes, and you need to get this right. Mark them before removal if you arent 100% sure on these.

Install nuts and tighten. Cross fingers, say a prayer, and connect battery terminal back up.
igotdoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.