Replacing fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing fuel pump

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 04-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
CapeCodGuy
2004 WJ 

Replacing fuel pump

Im about to replace the fuel pump in my 89 4.2. Its the first thing besides oil, tires, lights and fuses that Ive replaced in a vehicle. Is it at straight forward as it seems? I searched for a write up but couldnt find one. The only one I found was for an in tank pump. Any pointers or guidance would be great before I blow myself up! Thanks

CapeCodGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #2
CapeCodGuy
2004 WJ 

Well, I got it out, but cant get the new one in. Not sure where to go. I feel like I should just force it in there, but Im afraid Im going to break or screw something up.
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeCodGuy View Post
Well, I got it out, but cant get the new one in. Not sure where to go. I feel like I should just force it in there, but Im afraid Im going to break or screw something up.
It's pretty easy, disconnect the negative battery cable, remove the cap from the gas tank, wrap towels around the fuel pump hoses and disconnect them, remove the two mounting bolts, clean up the gasket area. Installation is the opposite. Here are some posts to a thread about the same subject, should help ya out!

if you bump the motor around you can get the fule pump cam on it's lowest spot and the pump will be a lot easer to put on

it helps to have someone else there to put the bolts in. took me 20 minutes of messing with it to get it in. dont forget the gasket either. i did and had to do it again.

Replacing the fuel pump is extremely easy...I am no mechanic and i found the hardest part is aligning the new pump into the engine block. I found mine at NAPA autostore

Uh about two bolts hold it on plus the associated lines.... On a scale of 1 - 10 it's about a 2 on the difficulty scale....

Here is a link to the best info I could find if you've never done this kind of work before, actually pretty good considering it's free:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...raseCrumbs=YES
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
CapeCodGuy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
It's pretty easy, disconnect the negative battery cable, remove the cap from the gas tank, wrap towels around the fuel pump hoses and disconnect them, remove the two mounting bolts, clean up the gasket area. Installation is the opposite. Here are some posts to a thread about the same subject, should help ya out!

if you bump the motor around you can get the fule pump cam on it's lowest spot and the pump will be a lot easer to put on

it helps to have someone else there to put the bolts in. took me 20 minutes of messing with it to get it in. dont forget the gasket either. i did and had to do it again.

Replacing the fuel pump is extremely easy...I am no mechanic and i found the hardest part is aligning the new pump into the engine block. I found mine at NAPA autostore

Uh about two bolts hold it on plus the associated lines.... On a scale of 1 - 10 it's about a 2 on the difficulty scale....

Here is a link to the best info I could find if you've never done this kind of work before, actually pretty good considering it's free:

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...raseCrumbs=YES
Thanks. Getting it off was easy, except for the bolt that holds the fuel line to the pump was completely siezed. I had to disconnect from the fuel filter and take it all off as one piece. It slid out so easy I figured it would go back in just as easy. I got mad and took a break. Ill go at it again soon enough. Thanks for the info!
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
stickfight
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It helps to tilt the arm of the pump up as you insert it. Get the base of the pump close enough to the block for the bolts to engage a few threads, then use them to pull it the rest of the way to the block.

Because of the way the arm engages the lobe inside the block it tends to push the pump away from the block.
stickfight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #6
CapeCodGuy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfight View Post
It helps to tilt the arm of the pump up as you insert it. Get the base of the pump close enough to the block for the bolts to engage a few threads, then use them to pull it the rest of the way to the block.

Because of the way the arm engages the lobe inside the block it tends to push the pump away from the block.
Thanks. All the tips are a huge help. Im nervous Im going to damage something internal, so once I get resistance I stop jamming. Somethings just arent meant to be jammed!
Unread 04-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
xdgt03
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, you have to rotate the crank (by the bolt in the center of the crank pulley and much easier if you remove a spark plug or two first) until the lobe the fuel pump arm rides on is at its highest spot (not pushing on the pump arm) If you don't do this you can break the ear (tab the mounting bolts goes through) off the pump when you install the new one. This will really make you mad. Ask me how I know. lol
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
2.5L
31x10.5x15 BFG MT
xdgt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
CapeCodGuy
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdgt03 View Post
Yeah, you have to rotate the crank (by the bolt in the center of the crank pulley and much easier if you remove a spark plug or two first) until the lobe the fuel pump arm rides on is at its highest spot (not pushing on the pump arm) If you don't do this you can break the ear (tab the mounting bolts goes through) off the pump when you install the new one. This will really make you mad. Ask me how I know. lol
Thanks for the tip. Im going to be re-attacking it again after work. Forgive my ignorance but, why is it easier to rotate the crank after the plug removal? Any ones in particular?
Unread 04-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #9
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

allows the compression to blow out of the plug hole, instead of working against you.

Anytime I turn a motor over by hand, I disconnect the Coil wire, but as we have already disconnected the battery cable, you will be fine.

White 88 YJ = $2000
Straight 6 = $1200
AX15 = $400
Sagging Springs = Priceless
88YJtoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
CapeCodGuy
2004 WJ 

Venting now....WHY IS THIS SUCH A PAIN IN THE ***!?!?!?!?! One would think the old one came out so easy, why wont the new one just slip in? Ive cranked the engine over and still nothing, doesnt feel like Im making any progress at all, it seems like the pump arm hits at the same place no matter what. If I could get this dam thing running Id drive it into a lake!!!! OK, rant over

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.