Replacing Clutch, and Slave Cylinder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacing Clutch, and Slave Cylinder

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 06-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
secrethojo
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing Clutch, and Slave Cylinder

This weekend I am replacing my clutch and slave cylinder, Its a 1990 YJ, I am just curious as to if there is anything i should expect to run into while doing this?

secrethojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrethojo
This weekend I am replacing my clutch and slave cylinder, Its a 1990 YJ, I am just curious as to if there is anything i should expect to run into while doing this?
It's a YJ, expect the unexpected.....(insert creepy laugh here)
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
secrethojo
1990 YJ Wrangler 

yes thats why I was posting hoping that maybe people have encountered a common problem. But i will post Saturday night about how it all went!
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

While you have the tranny and T-Case out you may want to put new seals in the cases. Tranny out put T-Case input and out put, check your u-joints while the shaft is down and the rear pinion seal.

Some time cleaning up all the parts and may be some spray bomb would go a long way. You can also address any frame corrosion in that area and tidy that up also.

While your down take a look down the drivers frame rail and inspect your brake and fuel lines and see what kind of health they are in may be some future work there.

Thats enough to keep someone busy for a week.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
GrantYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrethojo View Post
Be very, very careful when you're removing and installing the slave cylinder hydraulic line. The line coming from your clutch MC is a small plastic line and the fitting where you disconnect the slave is very easy to damage. If damaged, you'll end up with a continuous leak and it's very difficult to find replacements.
“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.” ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values
GrantYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
secrethojo
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for you're inputs I start the project tomorrow evening removing everything, As i need my parents garage to do so, All my stuff is in storage, i will post photos of everything up for everyone to see
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thank you for you're inputs I start the project tomorrow evening removing everything, As i need my parents garage to do so, All my stuff is in storage, i will post photos of everything up for everyone to see
I suggest a pilot bearing puller. Makes the job real easy and is normally free to rent. Also there should be an inverted torx bolt at the top of the transmission bell housing, E6 torx socket, swivels and extensions are good to have while removing this bolt. Replace with a 6 point bolt if possible.

Sent from my iPhone, probably because I am bored at work.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Keep going and replace thetiming chain as well.
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #9
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Okay guys, he is doing a clutch job, not a complete overhaul lol. At this rate you might as well take the body off and do a rebuild on everything.

Unread 06-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
secrethojo
1990 YJ Wrangler 

To to give an update, finished it last night, There were a number of things that were done Incorrectly before, that i had to go in and change, My only question is that on other peoples YJ, Is that skid plate the support for the transmission? I feel like it puts a huge stress on the whole system, if you like i can upload photos to show what i am describing, But overall 2days of working in 105 Degree weather in Sunny San Diego it went together, I replaced the Master Cylinder as it wasnt allowing for bleeding of the lines at the end did a last min autozone run, Next quest is to fix the exhaust system on it, in a couple weeks. My yj really reminds me of a women, its never happy, always complains but at the end of the day, You treat her as royilty no matter how much Bull ***** you get put through or am i the only one who feels that way? Anyway, feel free to PM me with questions or comments anytime!
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, the skid plate is the only support for the transmission. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...cement-903109/
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
To to give an update, finished it last night, There were a number of things that were done Incorrectly before, that i had to go in and change, My only question is that on other peoples YJ, Is that skid plate the support for the transmission? I feel like it puts a huge stress on the whole system, if you like i can upload photos to show what i am describing, But overall 2days of working in 105 Degree weather in Sunny San Diego it went together, I replaced the Master Cylinder as it wasnt allowing for bleeding of the lines at the end did a last min autozone run, Next quest is to fix the exhaust system on it, in a couple weeks. My yj really reminds me of a women, its never happy, always complains but at the end of the day, You treat her as royilty no matter how much Bull ***** you get put through or am i the only one who feels that way? Anyway, feel free to PM me with questions or comments anytime!
The skid plate does indeed support the transmission. The reason you feel in puts strain on the system is because the engine pivots on the engine mounts, so when you put up the skid plate, you are in turn, lifting the back portion of the engine, transmission and transfer case. Yup, very similar to a woman, minus a few things that women can do for you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.