replacing broken body mount bolts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replacing broken body mount bolts

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
jeepman1919

replacing broken body mount bolts

Hey guys got a question hoping some one could give me some advice. I am trying to put in a two inch body lift in my 95 yj and i broke a couple of the bolts off and there is no way to get at the nut welded in the body. what is the easiest way to remove broken bolt and more important how to reatatch body thanks in advance for the help.

jeepman1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on the location, I have cut the tub open from the top to get 'em out. Then tightened it up before fixing the hole.

This one was on a friends Jeep on the passenger side near the seat. IIRC, we removed his seat to make it easier to get to & repair.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
brzehentmaier

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Your die grinder is your best friend at this point. The ones that usually always break are the ones through the back bumper and under the seats. The one under the front grill always seems to be rusted out as well and that one is right out in the open, easy fix. Easiest access for the 2 rear is to remove the rear mud/dirt guards in back by removing the little plastic fasteners. I think there are 3-4 fasteners a side. Then cut a flap out of the tub. Make sure the flap is big enough to remove the 1 1/2 X 2 1/2 pc of flat stock that the broken bolt is in. Pass side is the easiest cause you don't have the gas filler tube to worry about. I just put my lift on a couple months ago and was lucky I only broke the back 2 and the one under the grill. Hope it goes well and happy cutting.

Bernie
2.5 - Auto - Crager "D" Slots
A Work In Progress

2004 Liberty Columbia Pkg.
A new begining
brzehentmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^ this guy seems to know a thing or two about jeeps. I did the exact same thing years ago. If this joe guy is doing it then it must be good.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Backcountryasm
1995 YJ Wrangler 

body mounts

X2 for opening the tub based on location. I just finished my installation yesterday. I had about 11-12 hours in my install. to preface my PO had installed a 4" body lift atop the old worn out mounts. I installed a 4" suspension lift and then planned to install a new daystar mount kit with 1" of body lift. What a PITA this project was. I have part numbers if you need new Steel inserts. Mopar still makes them. No easy way around it, if the mounting location is not accessible than you will have to open it up. If the rear ones are gone then you can open up the plastic wheel well covers and access the rear channell. I used steel washers and locking nuts to make these connections. Make sure you use grade 8 bolts, a lot of antiseize (as lubricant also) and torque your front,and rear bolts to 35 ftlbs and main tub mounts to 50 ftlbs.
Backcountryasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
jeepman1919

thanks for all the useful info guys i should have my finished next weekend
jeepman1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't done it, but I figured I would drill above the bolt with a 1" opening and then put a body plug back in when done. I was fortunate enough to have them all break loose.
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backcountryasm View Post
Make sure you use grade 8 bolts, a lot of antiseize (as lubricant also) and torque your front,and rear bolts to 35 ftlbs and main tub mounts to 50 ftlbs.
I am replacing the OEM mounts with polyurethane from Energy Suspension, have cleaned up the old bolts since they had no rust and used anti-seize, but when I torque the bolts to 35 and 50# it really squashed the crap out of the mounts since there is no steel bushing inside them. Is that normal?
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

you need a sleave inside them like the factory. you can get them at the dealer.
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I'll see if I can use the old ones.

BTW my wife is from Rockwood and all of her family (except us) live there.
Unread 08-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #11
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice Info, Love this forum.
huskerconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #12
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The old ones won't work. They are in great shape but are OEM and shaped like a mushroom. I'll get some steel tube from Metal Supermarkets and make my own once I figure out how long they need to be.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.