Replacement seats, Post up what year/model you used - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacement seats, Post up what year/model you used

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #211
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

After listening to her complain about the non sliding, non reclining passy seat in my 87, I saw this thread and got excited.
Then I went to the wiki and saw 91-95 only.

Christ, vacuum discajunk 4.2 with a carb, crummy seats, the 87 wrangler really is good for nothing trade?

So does anyone wanna shed a little light on my morning? Bolt in swaps for the 87?
Will the 91-95 risers bolt directly in? so essentially it will be like having a 91 - 95 seat set up?

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:16 AM   #212
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Bandit View Post
After listening to her complain about the non sliding, non reclining passy seat in my 87, I saw this thread and got excited.
Then I went to the wiki and saw 91-95 only.

Christ, vacuum discajunk 4.2 with a carb, crummy seats, the 87 wrangler really is good for nothing trade?

So does anyone wanna shed a little light on my morning? Bolt in swaps for the 87?
Will the 91-95 risers bolt directly in? so essentially it will be like having a 91 - 95 seat set up?

What was only 91-95, the risers??? They don't have anything to do with the slider mechanism or seat back adjustment.

Basically I am asking what seats you were looking at. The 91-95 risers are identical to the 87's, however, the drivers side in the newer ones are a "fixed" riser, as in it does not fold forward to allow back seat entry.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #213
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
What was only 91-95, the risers??? They don't have anything to do with the slider mechanism or seat back adjustment.

Basically I am asking what seats you were looking at. The 91-95 risers are identical to the 87's, however, the drivers side in the newer ones are a "fixed" riser, as in it does not fold forward to allow back seat entry.

Quote:
AS OF RIGHT NOW, I AM WORKING OUT A THEORY THAT THE '87-'90 YJ SEAT RISERS AND SLIDERS DO NOT DIRECT BOLT TO THESE SEATS. ONLY '91-'95 YJS WORK WITH THE SWAPS. I WILL ADD MORE LATER WHEN I FIGURE OUT EXACTLY WHAT THE ISSUE IS. I AM SORRY IF OTHERS PREVIOUSLY HAVE HAD BAD LUCK GETTING THESE TO WORK.
I was refering to that^ quote from the wiki article

my drivers seat in the 87 slides forward and backwards, and is also reclined a large amount, the passenger seat dosent have a slider at all (unless the handles missing completly I havent looked, and has no ability to recline.

So what I'm wondering is, what riser/slider combo would I need to directly bolt on the seats mentioned in the wiki?

Its winter, cold, and my garage has a drag truck project in it, so fabbing something up pretty much isnt happening.

Thanks in advance

Unread 12-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #214
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

In that case, yes, swap in the newer risers/sliders and you are good to go. They will bolt into the rig. The only downfall will be not being able to get in the backseat via the drivers door.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 12-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #215
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
In that case, yes, swap in the newer risers/sliders and you are good to go. They will bolt into the rig. The only downfall will be not being able to get in the backseat via the drivers door.
Awesome, now to only find the sliders/ risers, thanks rusty!

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #216
longboy
2006 WK 

Quote:
The CJ-7 and YJ share the same seat brackets.
Not all of them. I swapped in some later YJ seat brackets into my CJ because they're about an inch lower than the CJ ones. Beware that they also sit inboard about an inch.
Unread 12-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #217
Mudviper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longboy View Post
Not all of them. I swapped in some later YJ seat brackets into my CJ because they're about an inch lower than the CJ ones. Beware that they also sit inboard about an inch.
Good information to know. Having them sit lower would help me out quite a bit
Mudviper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #218
longboy
2006 WK 

Yeah, I'm not sure what years that applies to. The YJ seat brackets I got were already out of the Jeep and sitting in some dude's garage. He didn't know what year they came from, they were a customer's brackets.
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #219
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Ok....I have an 88 YJ with reclining seats and seat stands that flip forward for rear access.

I picked up some 2 door 1996 saturn seats from pic and pull. Originally didn't look like they would work because the front mounting brackets bend forward at a 90 degree angle, but there is another mounting hole underneath that is flat and can be used.

Saturn seat hole dimensions: centerhole to centerhole
Front to back - 11.5", Front accross - 15.25", Back accross - 13"
(hole measurements are on saturn sliders which I will use)

YJ seat stand hole dimensions: Centerhole to centerhole (no sliders)
Front to back - 12", Front accross - 14", Back accross - 14"

As you can see, the dimensions are very close. I purchased 1/8 x 3" by 36" long steel flatbar for brackets from lowes.

So far into seats for $44 and steel for $14. I will use 1/4 X 20 stainless bolts with flat and lock washers which I already have.

Pictures are forthcoming!
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #220
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmud4x4 View Post
Ok....I have an 88 YJ with reclining seats and seat stands that flip forward for rear access.

I picked up some 2 door 1996 saturn seats from pic and pull. Originally didn't look like they would work because the front mounting brackets bend forward at a 90 degree angle, but there is another mounting hole underneath that is flat and can be used.

(hole measurements are on saturn sliders which I will use)

YJ seat stand hole dimensions: Centerhole to centerhole (no sliders)
Front to back - 12", Front accross - 14", Back accross - 14"

As you can see, the dimensions are very close. I purchased 1/8 x 3" by 36" long steel flatbar for brackets from lowes.

So far into seats for $44 and steel for $14. I will use 1/4 X 20 stainless bolts with flat and lock washers which I already have.

Pictures are forthcoming!

This is good to know. Thankyou.

Unread 12-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #221
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmud4x4 View Post
CORRECTION:
Saturn seat measurements:
Front to back - 10.25", Front accross - 15.25" (same), Back Accross-13.25"

Install Pics:
Getting ready

Bracket install - offset towards center console to keep reclined seat off rollbar

Another shot of brackets (I have not drilled holes for seat yet)

Side view

another shot of sideview

Had to stack washers on rear of mount to keep bolt off seat riser hinge. Needed to do this on both sides of rear.

Final result passenger seat 1996 Saturn 2 door Bucket

Final thoughts:

The rear bolts were tight between the rear seat riser brackets(interfering with seat riser hinges a little) and with the seat slid all the way back, it still sits just a little bit too forward for me (not bad for passenger) so, when I do the Drivers side, I will use the remaining flatbar to set the seat back (towards the rear) about 2 inches, taking it completely out of the way of the hinges and giving me optimum sliding room.

Note:
When you recline these seats forward, they automatically slide forward also. I don't have a back seat, so it really doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by mrmud4x4; 12-09-2009 at 05:27 PM..
mrmud4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #222
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

DRIVERS SIDE SEAT INSTALL 88YJ with flip seats.

Brackets installed for seat. Offset towards center console to keep seat from rubbing on rollbar when reclined. Extended rear brackets 2" towards rear also.
(seat mount holes still not drilled)

Shot of mounting, slider lever, from front. (used the Saturn seat sliders)

Shot of rear mounting towards center console side.

Shot of rear mounting towards door side.

Drivers side and passenger side installed from 1996 Saturn 2 door.

Final thoughts:
The seats are way more comfy and look much better. The drivers seat sits up a bit too high and I will lower my front seat riser brackets to compensate. I did not think this would be a problem, but my legs rub a little on the steering wheel and I do not have tilt. I like sitting up high though, mmmmm, maybe tilt steering?

I used the Saturn seat sliders. Good chance to oil the seat risers!
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #223
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Update: 1996 2 door Saturn seat install

After I installed the drivers side seat, I was unsure as to why the drivers side seat was about 2 inches higher than the passenger side seat. I had made all measurements on old seats, including thickness of lower seat cushion up front, which I compared to these seats before I pulled them, I looked at my seat risers......then......as I looked at this pic.....there it was right in front of me.......that KNOB needed turning! Sure enough, cranked that knob and lowered my seat! No more steering wheel on my legs!

That knob raises and lowers seat cushion height.
Unread 12-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #224
darkpony
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudviper View Post
Very good write ups on seat conversions. One thing I don't see mentioned in the 14 pages is the clearance between the seat and the steering wheel. I had just bought a 79 CJ7 and the previous owner did a good job installing a set of TJ seats in it. The problem is that the steering wheel now sits in your lap. I don't have a tilt steering column, so this is a bit of a problem, plus it increases the distance from the floor petals.

My question is do the direct bolt in seats or the slightly modified seats give you enough clearance between the seats and steering wheel for those of us that don't have tilt steering?

Thanks
I installed early TJ seats into my 1988 YJ and experienced this exact problem. Due to low budget and the fact that I wanted to retain the stock sliders, I spent about 40 hours of fab / trial and error time getting mine to fit. The TJ seats were in almost new condition and I finally got myself about 1.5" clearance to my legs and called it good. It took a lot of modification of the TJ seat frame. They work really well and are very comfortable, but I wouldn't make the swap again. To do it over, I'd just fix my stock seats or find one of the GM seats I've seen in this thread (I made my swap 2 years ago).

Two things to note:

I'm pretty average height (5'10"). The TJ seats are wider than the YJ. These two things conspire to limit how much recline and slide are possible because my seats ended up pretty tight to the B pillar on the roll bar, even after I fabbed up a ammo can console (narrower than stock) and my seatbelt is a little tough to connect. It's comfortable for me, but I think my taller buddies would hate it. Note: Seatbelt length could easily become an issue if you carry a little extra girth.

Also, I've only put a couple thousand miles on the jeep since the seat install but they seem to have settled in quite nicely and the room to my steering wheel has increased by probably 0.5" to 1".
Unread 12-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #225
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Unknown seat type. They were installed when I bought the jeep.

Any help identifying would be greatly appreciated!

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.