Replacement seats, Post up what year/model you used - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replacement seats, Post up what year/model you used

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 11-29-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Replacement seats, Post up what year/model you used

Ok, so after the many, many........Seat swap posts lately, I decided to take some time and compile a list of what seats are direct bolt in and what seats will fit with MINOR modifications.

SO, post up what you ACTUALLY used, not what you have heard fits and what it took to make them fit if some fab work was required. This list will be submitted to TombRaider for final approval and then be stickied. (If that is allright with you of course Tomb...)

LIST MOVED TO JEEPWIKI ARTICLE :
http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index..../YJ_Seat_swaps

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08

Last edited by rustywrangler; 12-11-2007 at 09:44 PM..
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
Fogrunner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I installed a set of leather power seats from a 1997 Eddie Bauer Edition Ford Explorer. Wasn't a straight swap, but it only required a little fabrication. I even hooked up the power!! I'll send a link when I get a picture.
Fogrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Fogrunner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a quick pic I found.
Phil

Unread 11-29-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogrunner
I installed a set of leather power seats from a 1997 Eddie Bauer Edition Ford Explorer. Wasn't a straight swap, but it only required a little fabrication. I even hooked up the power!! I'll send a link when I get a picture.

Care to make a small writeup for that???? How hard was it, welding required, etc.????

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 11-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
89yjester
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I put in seats from a mid 90's grand am i had to weld a piece off flat bar on the existing mounts of the seat to make the sliders attach to the stock yj seat bracket. it took me approx half an hour and i can say it was definately worth it
FlowTech: Shorty headers, Dual Glass Pack Mufflers
My [url="http://www.rigrater.com"]RigRater[/url] Score: 545RRv1.0 with a BOA of 29.50
89yjester is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Fogrunner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Basically, I removed the original seats and frames and set them on the floor to measure the seat height(place where your a$$ rests). I then removed the seats from the frames and layed the Explorer seats on top of the frames and measured them. Since the bolt pattern on the Explorer seat was different than the YJ pattern, and the seat height is substantially higher, I cut the top off the frame and welded flatbar across it in a position to line up with the mounting holes on the Explorer seats. Then I drilled the holes and bolted them up. I re-installed the frames with the seats attached back into the original position. I tapped a lead from the battery, fused it and voila, power seats!!. They are a bit wider than the original seats, but much more comfortable. I also squeezed the center console from the Explorer in between the seats and it is much more user friendly and convinient than the original YJ console.
Phil
Unread 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Basically, I removed the original seats and frames and set them on the floor to measure the seat height(place where your a$$ rests). I then removed the seats from the frames and layed the Explorer seats on top of the frames and measured them. Since the bolt pattern on the Explorer seat was different than the YJ pattern, and the seat height is substantially higher, I cut the top off the frame and welded flatbar across it in a position to line up with the mounting holes on the Explorer seats. Then I drilled the holes and bolted them up. I re-installed the frames with the seats attached back into the original position. I tapped a lead from the battery, fused it and voila, power seats!!. They are a bit wider than the original seats, but much more comfortable. I also squeezed the center console from the Explorer in between the seats and it is much more user friendly and convinient than the original YJ console.
Phil
If possible can you get some pics of the mounts themselves??? I will add this to the list and would like to put some pics with it.

Unread 11-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
Fogrunner
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If possible can you get some pics of the mounts themselves??? I will add this to the list and would like to put some pics with it

I'll take some good pics tomorrow. I'm away right now.
Thanks,
Phil
Unread 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:

I'll take some good pics tomorrow. I'm away right now.
Thanks,
Phil

Thanx, follow up with a PM instead of here.

-Rusty

Unread 11-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #10
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

If this might become a sticky, then might as well add fac. replacement seats to the mix, cause there is good and bad.

I have the old Steelhorse Super seat recliner. Bought out by 4WP's and now under the name Pro-comp. Direct bolt in. Not the greatest seat for a couple bills, but waaaay better than stock YJ seats!
I also tried the cheaper bottom of the line fac. seat replacements prior to these. DO NOT get these seats! Although they say fac. raplacement for a YJ, they are twice as high/thick on the bottom seat area and your legs cannot fit between the seat and the steering wheel... even w/tilt. They also don't recline/adjust. Don't waste your time or money.
I have no first hand experiance with Bestop, but they are very similar and a little more $$$. Some of the earlier YJ models require extra brackets for install according to their adds.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #11
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

2003-2006 Rubicon Seats w/ YJ Risers and NO sliders

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/03-tj-seat-swap-questions-suggestions-425843/
'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

March 1st, 8pm. WILMINGTON, NC MEET & GREET @ HOOTERS!
Big-n-Broke-YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #12
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM
If this might become a sticky, then might as well add fac. replacement seats to the mix, cause there is good and bad.

I have the old Steelhorse Super seat recliner. Bought out by 4WP's and now under the name Pro-comp. Direct bolt in. Not the greatest seat for a couple bills, but waaaay better than stock YJ seats!
I also tried the cheaper bottom of the line fac. seat replacements prior to these. DO NOT get these seats! Although they say fac. raplacement for a YJ, they are twice as high/thick on the bottom seat area and your legs cannot fit between the seat and the steering wheel... even w/tilt. They also don't recline/adjust. Don't waste your time or money.
I have no first hand experiance with Bestop, but they are very similar and a little more $$$. Some of the earlier YJ models require extra brackets for install according to their adds.

WRM

I may add this when I am done but for now this thread will stick to non aftermarket swaps. The point is to get a list of the easy, cheap swaps from existing veichles.

-Rusty

Unread 11-29-2007, 05:54 PM   #13
MetZenDS
2007 JK Wrangler 

I used 60/40 split bench seats out of a 94 Ford Ranger. Drilled 2 holes, and BAM! they're on. They do not adjust and you have to ditch the center console, but it has a fold down armrest with a storage are in it. I'll snap some shots of it later. Its a little tall, but it doesn't bother me. I'm 5'11" 220 and don't have any issues with it.
Unread 11-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #14
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetZenDS
I used 60/40 split bench seats out of a 94 Ford Ranger. Drilled 2 holes, and BAM! they're on. They do not adjust and you have to ditch the center console, but it has a fold down armrest with a storage are in it. I'll snap some shots of it later. Its a little tall, but it doesn't bother me. I'm 5'11" 220 and don't have any issues with it.

Would definatly like to see some pics. Pics of the mounts as well.

Unread 11-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #15
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

2000 Cavalier seats but they werent a direct bolt on.
I had to drill new holes to get the jeep sliders to fit
[IMG][/IMG]

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.