Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Replacement seats, Post up what year/model you used

539K views 568 replies 266 participants last post by  tencent 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so after the many, many........Seat swap posts lately, I decided to take some time and compile a list of what seats are direct bolt in and what seats will fit with MINOR modifications.

SO, post up what you ACTUALLY used, not what you have heard fits and what it took to make them fit if some fab work was required. This list will be submitted to TombRaider for final approval and then be stickied. (If that is allright with you of course Tomb...)

LIST MOVED TO JEEPWIKI ARTICLE :
http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/CJ/YJ_Seat_swaps

#2 ·
I installed a set of leather power seats from a 1997 Eddie Bauer Edition Ford Explorer. Wasn't a straight swap, but it only required a little fabrication. I even hooked up the power!! I'll send a link when I get a picture.

#4 ·
Fogrunner said:
I installed a set of leather power seats from a 1997 Eddie Bauer Edition Ford Explorer. Wasn't a straight swap, but it only required a little fabrication. I even hooked up the power!! I'll send a link when I get a picture.
Care to make a small writeup for that???? How hard was it, welding required, etc.????

:cheers2:

#5 ·
I put in seats from a mid 90's grand am i had to weld a piece off flat bar on the existing mounts of the seat to make the sliders attach to the stock yj seat bracket. it took me approx half an hour and i can say it was definately worth it

#6 ·
Basically, I removed the original seats and frames and set them on the floor to measure the seat height(place where your a$$ rests). I then removed the seats from the frames and layed the Explorer seats on top of the frames and measured them. Since the bolt pattern on the Explorer seat was different than the YJ pattern, and the seat height is substantially higher, I cut the top off the frame and welded flatbar across it in a position to line up with the mounting holes on the Explorer seats. Then I drilled the holes and bolted them up. I re-installed the frames with the seats attached back into the original position. I tapped a lead from the battery, fused it and voila, power seats!!. They are a bit wider than the original seats, but much more comfortable. I also squeezed the center console from the Explorer in between the seats and it is much more user friendly and convinient than the original YJ console.
Phil

#7 ·
Fogrunner said:
Basically, I removed the original seats and frames and set them on the floor to measure the seat height(place where your a$$ rests). I then removed the seats from the frames and layed the Explorer seats on top of the frames and measured them. Since the bolt pattern on the Explorer seat was different than the YJ pattern, and the seat height is substantially higher, I cut the top off the frame and welded flatbar across it in a position to line up with the mounting holes on the Explorer seats. Then I drilled the holes and bolted them up. I re-installed the frames with the seats attached back into the original position. I tapped a lead from the battery, fused it and voila, power seats!!. They are a bit wider than the original seats, but much more comfortable. I also squeezed the center console from the Explorer in between the seats and it is much more user friendly and convinient than the original YJ console.
Phil
If possible can you get some pics of the mounts themselves??? I will add this to the list and would like to put some pics with it.

#8 ·
If possible can you get some pics of the mounts themselves??? I will add this to the list and would like to put some pics with it

I'll take some good pics tomorrow. I'm away right now.
Thanks,
Phil

#9 ·
Fogrunner said:

I'll take some good pics tomorrow. I'm away right now.
Thanks,
Phil
Thanx, follow up with a PM instead of here.

-Rusty :tea:

#10 ·
If this might become a sticky, then might as well add fac. replacement seats to the mix, cause there is good and bad. ;)

I have the old Steelhorse Super seat recliner. Bought out by 4WP's and now under the name Pro-comp. Direct bolt in. Not the greatest seat for a couple bills, but waaaay better than stock YJ seats!
I also tried the cheaper bottom of the line fac. seat replacements prior to these. DO NOT get these seats! Although they say fac. raplacement for a YJ, they are twice as high/thick on the bottom seat area and your legs cannot fit between the seat and the steering wheel... even w/tilt. :mad: They also don't recline/adjust. Don't waste your time or money.
I have no first hand experiance with Bestop, but they are very similar and a little more $$$. Some of the earlier YJ models require extra brackets for install according to their adds.

WRM :cheers:

#11 ·
Reactions: zombalia
#12 ·
RockWoRM said:
If this might become a sticky, then might as well add fac. replacement seats to the mix, cause there is good and bad. ;)

I have the old Steelhorse Super seat recliner. Bought out by 4WP's and now under the name Pro-comp. Direct bolt in. Not the greatest seat for a couple bills, but waaaay better than stock YJ seats!
I also tried the cheaper bottom of the line fac. seat replacements prior to these. DO NOT get these seats! Although they say fac. raplacement for a YJ, they are twice as high/thick on the bottom seat area and your legs cannot fit between the seat and the steering wheel... even w/tilt. :mad: They also don't recline/adjust. Don't waste your time or money.
I have no first hand experiance with Bestop, but they are very similar and a little more $$$. Some of the earlier YJ models require extra brackets for install according to their adds.

WRM :cheers:
I may add this when I am done but for now this thread will stick to non aftermarket swaps. The point is to get a list of the easy, cheap swaps from existing veichles.

#13 ·
I used 60/40 split bench seats out of a 94 Ford Ranger. Drilled 2 holes, and BAM! they're on. They do not adjust and you have to ditch the center console, but it has a fold down armrest with a storage are in it. I'll snap some shots of it later. Its a little tall, but it doesn't bother me. I'm 5'11" 220 and don't have any issues with it.

#14 ·
MetZenDS said:
I used 60/40 split bench seats out of a 94 Ford Ranger. Drilled 2 holes, and BAM! they're on. They do not adjust and you have to ditch the center console, but it has a fold down armrest with a storage are in it. I'll snap some shots of it later. Its a little tall, but it doesn't bother me. I'm 5'11" 220 and don't have any issues with it.
Would definatly like to see some pics. Pics of the mounts as well.

#16 ·
rustywrangler said:
Grand Am: 95-01
Grand Prix: 95-01

I spent a day in the JY pulling seats and taking measurements these without the stock risers/sliders bolt pattern was identical to the cavalier/sunfire. I ended up finding a good matching set out of a 97 cav SE all the others that I pulled at least one of the seats was destroyed.

#17 ·
Bone Down said:
I spent a day in the JY pulling seats and taking measurements these without the stock risers/sliders bolt pattern was identical to the cavalier/sunfire. I ended up finding a good matching set out of a 97 cav SE all the others that I pulled at least one of the seats was destroyed.
Good to know, I will add to the list of bolt on.

#19 ·
Richmond 88 YJ said:
Also put some sunbird seats in my daughters yj,. bolted right up, looked great.
Added your link, do you know what year sunbird seats???????

#21 ·
Updated!!!!!!!!!!

#22 ·
Bump for the afternoon.

#26 ·
Hey bone down; what kind of seat are thoes????

Buck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.