Replaced rear Axel with a LOCKER - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replaced rear Axel with a LOCKER

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 04-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Enriquegg34
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced rear Axel with a LOCKER

Hi, Im new to this...

I have a 1995 YJ Wrangler, and my kid has a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0.

We replaced the rear axle on the Sahara for a locker, only because it was ready and available plus real cheap. The original was in real poor shape and slipped alot we rebuilt it but the gears do not match 100% so its weak - loose.

The locker is stiff as heck, is there an additional stabilizing arm that needs to be installed? this thing kicks tons as if it were totally loose.

if so, picture anyone? is it an after market thing? or just need to weld some additional support?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Enriquegg34

Enriquegg34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you just installed an auto locker in the rear in place of the spider gears. Is that correct? If so, there may be some handling issues as the locker engages/disengages when getting on and off of the gas. This is not uncommon for a rear auto locker in a lightweight Jeep.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Enriquegg34
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Fix

So no real fix?

There has to be some sort of stabilizing arm or shock...

Anyone know?

Enrique

Last edited by Enriquegg34; 04-05-2011 at 03:07 PM..
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #4
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Say whaaaaaaaaat...

Any pictures / part names of what you installed?

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hi, and welcome.

We have a language barrier, or a terminology barrier. I can't quite figure out what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enriquegg34 View Post
Hi, Im new to this...

I have a 1995 YJ Wrangler, and my kid has a 1989 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0.

We replaced the rear axle on the Sahara for a locker,
Did you just take out 4 small gears, or the big ring and pinion gears or everything?

only because it was ready and available plus real cheap. The original was in real poor shape and slipped alot we rebuilt it but the gears do not match 100% so its weak - loose.
What was slipping, the factory lsd? what gears don't match?

The locker is stiff as heck, is there an additional stabilizing arm that needs to be installed? this thing kicks tons as if it were totally loose.
So is it stiff, or is it loose? what part is stiff, what part is loose?

if so, picture anyone? is it an after market thing? or just need to weld some additional support?
A locker goes inside the differential housing and has no way of being reinforced or supported, so I think we are talking about something other than a locker

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Don't give up, put some pictures of what you are talking about if you can
Enriquegg34
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

We need pics and a clarification of what you did and what your talking about. We are more than willing to help but there is a lot of confusion in what you wrote.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Enriquegg34
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nope, cant upload yet..... I took the entire axle with differential off the jeep, replaced it with another axle that has a locker-differential. that simple, only that now due to it being a locker it rocks stiff back and forth when you let go of the gas in gear.

Is there an additional stabilizing arm or shock that keeps it from rocking back and forth?
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have any personal experience with auto lockers in the back, but from what I understand, the jeep is too light and has too short of a wheel base to cover up the loading and unloading of the locker in the rear when it disengages. That's why, from what I understand, many people go with manual lockers in the rear so they don't have to deal with what you are describing as, again from what I understand, you have to change your driving style on the street to compensate for the crazy behavior of the rear locker.

Also, I've never heard of or read anything that would alleviate the action with a shock or stabilizer arm. The axle itself shouldn't be moving any other than from the movement of the springs. In my mind, all the action you are describing is coming from the differential which in turn comes out through the wheels.

Just my thoughts...
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #9
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Under what driving conditions are you noticing the "rocks stiff back and forth"?
Is it happening wile cornering? If so, are you on the the gass wile taking corners?

If this is happening wile cornering, the only thing you can do is change your driving style. When you power through a corner, it can cause the locker to lock. when this happens, you will usually get some under steer. Basically, when the locker locks, the rear axle tries to push the jeep straight, rather than let it turn. The only way to eliminate this is to coast through corners to keep the dif from locking.
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Enriquegg34
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lets say I am cursing down the street, if i take my foot off the gas and the jeep is still in gear it will rock front and back as if there were a lost of tension between the diff and the transmission.

Hmmm.. frustrated....

Enrique
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

With it parked on a level surface, set the parking brake, and put the trans in neutral. crawl under it and see how much (if any) you can rotate the drive shaft.

Did you open up the "new to you" axle and check it out? It could be that the ring and pinion are worn a bit, or were not set up correctly, and you have excessive backlash.

Also, jsut a thought, did you check the rear brakes before putting the axle in? If the rear brakes are hanging up, they may be dragging, which would cause the jeep to abruptly slow down as soon as you let off the gas.
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
Poke
runtime error = 0

2015 YJ Wrangler 

When I accelerate or let off the gas quickly my locker will toss me around a bit. It's a lock-rite lunch box style in the 8.8 rear. That is normal with an auto locker. all that is, is the rear wheels trying to spin at the same time and it will feel like it is pushing you around.

You are saying that you have a different gear ratio in the front axle than in the back axle... correct?
Poke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #13
Enriquegg34
1995 YJ Wrangler 

With it parked on a level surface, set the parking brake, and put the trans in neutral. crawl under it and see how much (if any) you can rotate the drive shaft.
I have done this actually at a shop I lifted the jeep and drove it while in the air, back lash is what it does...
Did you open up the "new to you" axle and check it out? It could be that the ring and pinion are worn a bit, or were not set up correctly, and you have excessive backlash.
yes opened her up and made sure everything looked good.

Also, jsut a thought, did you check the rear brakes before putting the axle in? If the rear brakes are hanging up, they may be dragging, which would cause the jeep to abruptly slow down as soon as you let off the gas.
yes, new brakes and lines

When I accelerate or let off the gas quickly my locker will toss me around a bit. It's a lock-rite lunch box style in the 8.8 rear. That is normal with an auto locker. all that is, is the rear wheels trying to spin at the same time and it will feel like it is pushing you around.
same gear ratio, just that theres nothing absorbing the tightness of the rear

You are saying that you have a different gear ratio in the front axle than in the back axle... correct?

same gear ratio, just that theres nothing absorbing the tightness of the rear
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #14
tonylax48
1990 YJ Wrangler 

maybe he is getting axle wrap?
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The rocking back and forth is normal in a short wheel base Jeep. If it is annoying now it will only get worse. If you dont like it and I dont blame you, you will need to remove the locker and put in some stock spider gears to get a normal driving Jeep.
Ron
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle , differential , locker , rear , sahara

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.