Replaced output shaft seal. ?'s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replaced output shaft seal. ?'s

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced output shaft seal. ?'s

I replaced my tc rear output shaft seal, along with both ujoints on my rear drive shaft.

I tried to clean up where the yoke had been slinging oil all over the undercarriage of the jeep, but it was a mess. I drove the Jeep and am not really sure if the leak has stopped or not. I have one concern though. The picture is not great, but see how the rubber boot, doesn't sit quite right on the yoke shaft in one spot. Should I be concerned? I can't remember if the old one did this or not.

I do have a lift on my jeep, but I have attached pics of both ujoints on the rear shaft and you will see the angle is not bad.

If I need to put fluid back in my TC, what do I use? What is the easiest way to put it in?

IMAG0036 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
seal

IMAG0038 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
front ujoint on rear shaft

IMAG0039 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
rear ujoint on rear shaft

Sorry for the pics, but this is the best I could do in the dark.

Oh yes, I think I also have a transfer case drop. There are 1" spacers between my frame and the transmission/tc skid plate.

Cards89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Can you get a better pic of that seal??? It looks like it is not seated all the way.

Did you do this swap in the rig out pull the tail cone off??

You should have lost fluid if you pulled the tail cone off. You need to pull the two 30 MM bolts off the back of the tcase and do a fluid change. Put in ATF. There is a write up in the FAQ sticky under the trans area of the write up list.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I did pull the tail cone off. I had my jeep front end pointed down my driveway, so I really didn't lose very much fluid at all. Really, I only lost was was already sitting the the tail cone. I will see if I can get better lighting and a better picture. The metal part of the seal is tapped flush all the way around the tail cone. What else would I need to do?
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

If it is flush then I don't know. The two that I have done were flush and squared off, not "bent" like that.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 02-20-2010, 08:40 PM   #5
Cards89YJ
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have uploaded two more pics. Still not great, but a little better. It is really just the rubber boot part. It is only kicked out on this one spot.

IMAG0041 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMAG0040 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Unread 02-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I would say you are ok. I would still do a fluid change though.

My XJ lost over a quart with a rear seal leak.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.