replaced head gasket, and now hard to start, running rough ?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > replaced head gasket, and now hard to start, running rough ??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
MikeL95YJ

replaced head gasket, and now hard to start, running rough ??

Ok, just had head inspected and resurfaced due to small external leak in head gasket on my 2.5 4 cylinder. Drained oil and remaining coolant, connected and bolted everything back up to proper torque settings, and put in new fluids. Tried to start, and it took long time but eventually started firing with full throttle, but never smoothed out and died without full throttle. It seems like the gas and spark are not in sync. I need to know if there's a step I missed, as it doesn't appear there's anyway to adjust when the valves are opening/closing on the head. Do I need to reset the computer or something? I'll be picking up a YJ manual later today, but would love to hear some technical help while I'm at work dreaming of a smooth running YJ by tonight! thanks--Mike

MikeL95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
SloppyJoseph
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Are the plug wires on right? Maybe you didn't put them back in the correct order.
SloppyJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
MikeL95YJ

That's a great question, but they are in the same position as when they were taken off. They're in wire loom holders that attach on the valve cover bolts, and the plug wires are pointed exactly where their respective plug is located on the head. I know this sounds retarded, but I can't see the camshaft, or if somehow it has changed position from when the head was removed, but sounds to me like the plugs are not firing when the valves are not open at the correct position, and not sure if the computer needs to be reset, or how to make sure the timing on the top matches the timing on the bottom, until I can pickup a manual and read more. thanks--Mike
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You shouldnt have to reset the computer if you had the battery disconnect. Check the setting for #1 on the distributor. Check all the sensor connectors and make sure all the vacuum lines are on.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
MikeL95YJ

I never disconnected the battery. I will quadruple check all vacuum lines and connectors again, and will then check the distributor position, even though that was not removed. Thanks for input so far.
Unread 05-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like your cam timing is off.

Did you line up everything properly when you put the head back on?

It sounds like you got it one (or more) teeth off on the chain.
Unread 05-20-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
MikeL95YJ

Stan--When I unscrewed the head bolts, the tension on all the pushrods released, so I just removed them kept them in order, and all the valves closed. The head shop pressure tested all the valves and all checked out great, magnafluxed and no cracks, and said there was minor warping in the center, so shaved a little off. He told me to remove the rockers when inserting the pushrods, and to oil them real well, which I did. As I torqued the head back down following instructions in this forum, the rocker springs on the 1 & 4 cylinders (which had their pistons all the way down, 2 & 3 were all the way to the top) had more tension like they did before I took the head off, and I assumed this was normal from the engine not moving since the head was removed. Nowhere in this removal and install did I see any camshaft, timing chains, etc., so not sure how this could be off a tooth. That part about lining everything up properly before putting the head back on is the part that I'm in the dark about. I can't understand where I can or need to adjust something regarding the timing on the head, until I can get a manual.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.