Replaced gas tank..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replaced gas tank.....

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESave big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-04-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
hump0311
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced gas tank.....

I replaced my gas tank today on my 89 yj 2.5. Does anyone know what the purpose of the two "necks" that stick out of the upper right side of the tank?( opposite of the vent and filler connectors) When I removed the old tank there were two rubber hoses that connected to a "t" and the "t" connected to a metal tube that had been capped off. Also there is a hose coming from the fuel rail to the tank that is not connected to anything. My thoughts are, that the capped off metal tube is somehow connected to the loose ?fuel? line that is not connected to anything. Does anyone have a clue as to what I am trying to explain? Any and all help would be appreciated.

hump0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Mark455SD
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about the two roll over valves?
Mark455SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
hump0311
1989 YJ Wrangler 

not sure

not sure. it is on the right side as you are looking at the rear of the vehicle. there are two connections.
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I think pics will help us help you.
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hump0311 View Post
not sure. it is on the right side as you are looking at the rear of the vehicle. there are two connections.
I think this is what you are missing:

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #6
hump0311
1989 YJ Wrangler 

that is it....

that is it, do you know it's function? i should have taken pics before i reinstalled the tank.... i have been looking for some pics of others but to no avail. thanks laybackman and everyone else who responded so far.
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
hump0311
1989 YJ Wrangler 

laybackman can you lead me to the source of that diagram?
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
laybackman can you lead me to the source of that diagram?
It is a page out of a factory parts manual. I came across it online sometime ago. I did a Google search for Jeep YJ parts manual, and came across it.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #9
hump0311
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok thanks everyone
Unread 05-05-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
that is it, do you know it's function? i should have taken pics before i reinstalled the tank.... i have been looking for some pics of others but to no avail. thanks laybackman and everyone else who responded so far.
The valve is part of a closed fuel vapor recovery system. If the fuel expands it wants to expel excess gas vapors from the tank. Before it just vented to the atmosphere. Now it is stored in the charcoal canister and burned off at some later time.

Tags
fuel , gas tank hose , vent hose

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.