Replaced clutch, slave, master, bearing, etc... drove nice only for about an hour? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replaced clutch, slave, master, bearing, etc... drove nice only for about an hour?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 10-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
91YJOWNER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Replaced clutch, slave, master, bearing, etc... drove nice only for about an hour?

My clutch was going out in my 91 YJ since I bought it a few months back. Somebody else drove it recently and burned the clutch pretty bad. Two days later the clutch went out and it wouldn't go into any gear. I bought a clutch kit and replaced the clutch, slave cylinder, throw out bearing. Then put it all back together and tested the clutch, but it went straight to the floor with no pressure. After a while it was decided to replace the master cylinder. Yesterday I replaced the master cylinder and bled the system. It seemed to work fine. We put everything back together and went on a road test. Everything seemed ok, but thought it needed bled a little more since the gears were a little stiff going into. Bled it again and road tested it. Seemed perfect after that. Drove to the store 20 minutes later and was hard to shift into first. Made it home and when I went to put it in first again, the problems were the same as the day the clutch went out. The strange part is that I can pump the clutch several times and sometimes the clutch will disengage as it should and shift smoothly, but if i wait a few minutes and try again it won't go into any gear.

Any suggestions that could save me from starting over and pulling the transmission again.

Is it possible for the slave cylinder to go bad that quickly?

Could I possibly still have air in the lines, even though when we bleed it there is no air coming out.

I'm at a loss, so any help would be appreciated.....

91YJOWNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
91YJOWNER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Update....

I went out to see if there was air left in the system and if it may have worked its way out. Well, to my surprise it must have because it shifted fine and no more grinding. I drove it around and no problems.

Do I need to possibly bleed the clutch again or let it be...... Abide by the "if it aint broke don't fix it".....
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The fact that you can "sometimes" get it into gear by pumping the clutch tells me that it is a hydraulic issue.

You could still have air in the system and it wouldn't hurt to bleed it again. I would try gravity bleeding the system before moving on.

I have seen brand new slave cylinders fail right off the shelf, but it is uncommon.
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

How does the pedal feel now?
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
91YJOWNER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The issue continues....

So I went out this morning to drive it to work and I made it a few miles down the road and the shifting into gears was getting stiffer. I made it about 20 miles and when I went to downshift into 2nd from 3rd, it wouldn't go into gear. I turned the engine off, pumped the pedal and tried again, but no luck. I then turned the engine off again, put it into first and started it. I was able to take off and return on my way home. If I came to a stop, I had to start the process all over starting it in 1st. It would shift ok once I was going, but by the time I got home it was shifting rough. I parked it in the garage.

One thing I noticed was the fluid level in the master cylinder was a little lower than it should and by the time I got home it was nearly empty. My guess is the slave cylinder is bad.

Another thing is I noticed there was some fluid on the passenger floor and it was raining overnight, but when I touched it, it had the feel of brake fluid.

I'm not to excited about having to pull the tranny again and start over, but my guess is I have no choice. The only other thing I can think of is the master cylinder being bad, but it doesn't appear to be leaking unless the fluid on the passenger floor is from that. I don't see how that could be since the resevoir is on the driver side, but I am no expert and maybe you guys will know...

Thanks for your help and any suggestions are highly accepted....
Unread 10-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
91YJOWNER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gravity bleeding? Is there more to it than letting it sit?

If not, it sat for almost 24 hours, so should that be enough time, to rule that out?
Unread 10-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
btn2020
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yes its possible for a brand new slave to go bad i know because it happened to me. sounds to me like you have described a bad slave.

1989 red stock yj 30in tires
btn2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
91YJOWNER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've read a lot on here about if a slave cyl goes bad to change the master as well, or visa versa...

My question now is, is it possible that when I changed the slave cyl, the master went bad and then when I replaced the master, the new slave cyl could have gone bad. It sounds like that is the cycle, if you don't replace them both at the same time.

Should I take the newly installed master along with the newly installed slave cly back to O-Reilly's and swap them out for new ones. I purchased the clutch kit, which came with the bearing, clutch and slave, so should I return the whole kit and start over?

Any thoughts?
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
91YJOWNER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So right now I am thinking about pulling the master out and the slave. Returning them both for new ones. My thought now is that by not replacing them both at the same time caused one another to fail when the new part was installed. My theory behind this is they both worked fine for a few about an hour after the new slave and new master were installed.
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
btn2020
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yes rule of thumb is to replace the other if one has gone bad bc at the very least there's a good chance the other isn't far from letting go. but also they could be defective parts from the auto store. take them both back change them back out and repeat the bleeding process. it sucks i know but the only way.

1989 red stock yj 30in tires
btn2020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
91YJOWNER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pulled the tranny last night and sure enough the slave was bad. Pulled the master as well and returning them today for new ones. Putting it back together tonight and being optimistic that I will be taking it hunting tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the input and I will let you know how it goes.
Unread 10-14-2011, 11:48 AM   #12
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

One failure didn't cause the other. You had a seal flopping in and out of place which led you to believe the master was bad when it was the slave all along.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #13
91YJOWNER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch is working better than ever. First slave I bought was faulty for sure. First master got replaced for peace of mind.

Thanks for all the input!
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

considering all you've gone through... kudos for hanging in there!
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #15
91YJOWNER
1991 YJ Wrangler 

So now something has failed again. The last few days, I noticed the shifting wasn't as smooth as it has been. Then after driving about 45 minutes the other night, I noticed it didn't want to go into first. It would go into all other gears fine, once I got moving. Recently changed a broken u-joint, which I don't think is related, but this morning there was no pressure in the clutch and it went straight to the floor and wouldn't go into gear.

I am thinking maybe the master cylinder is bad again, or possibly air in the line. I don't have much experience with this, so thought maybe some experienced input would help. There was about half an inch of clutch fluid missing when I refilled it the other night.

My thoughts are to bleed it first and see if that works. If not then replace the master. If that doesn't work then pull the tranny and replace the slave.

Is there something else that can cause this to happen over and over, other than the clutch parts?

I'm hoping I won't have to pull the tranny and change the slave again.

Tags
clutch problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.