Replace-a-top vs. Sailcloth - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replace-a-top vs. Sailcloth

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Stock87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Replace-a-top vs. Sailcloth

I need to replace the soft top on my 87 YJ and I am looking at getting a Bestop Sailcloth but I can only find the sailcloth for the 88 YJ...will this one fit my Jeep? The images show it with the family roll cage and hardware (box), I have the sport roll cage and hardware (angle).

Stock87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

One of the Bestop employees use to hangout here, but I have not seem him here in quite some time.

Perhaps try PMing GeoffatBestop to see if he can answer your questions.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #3
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can always call quadratec they do a good job of know the products!
Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
Beachcruiser
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The difference in the 87 from other years is the CJ-style snaps at the 1/2 door top. If you get the rails from later years, a later top will work just fine. I have a soft top mounted in summertime that came off a 94.

I do not know about the Sailcloth hardware, tho.
Unread 03-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
bhartwell59
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcruiser View Post
If you get the rails from later years, a later top will work just fine.
Exactly what I did... but went back to the OEM top after I had the SuperTop.

I missed the frame drip rails over the doors!
4.2 '87 yj, 300,000+ miles, mopar mpi, 33" bfg mud KM2, skyjacker 4", 3.73 gears, arb lockers-f and r., tom wood's 2.07 sye conversion, tom wood's hd driveshaft, magnaflow cat/custom exhaust, 4wd rear bumper/swing-out tire carrier
bhartwell59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I ran a sailcloth replacement top for a few years on the factory hardware on my 93 YJ. For the money I paid for it, I did not see the big difference in quietness or insulation. It was noticeably thicker, but was not any quieter at highway speeds. It was however noticeably harder to get installed. It kept getting worse and worse each year. Its like it was shrinking. It got to the point unless it was setting in direct sunlight on a 80+ degree day, you were pretty much not going to get it in the rails and get the snaps over the doors snapped. It was also hard to fold it up when taking it down cause the cloth was so stiff. I eventually got fed up and bought the standard replacement top. It fits so much better, its not any louder, it has not shrunk in the 3-4 years I have had it now, and its still easy to put up and down.

My opinion, save your money and buy the standard replacement top. Do not waste your money on the sailcloth.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.