Replace Key ignition with bad *** toggle switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replace Key ignition with bad *** toggle switch

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 05-07-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Gildedseat
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Replace Key ignition with bad *** toggle switch

Hello,

So currently my jeep does not require a key to start. The cylinder is so worn that it turns no matter what. I'd like to replace the key ignition with a toggle switch and a momentary switch for mostly aesthetic reasons.

in addition I'll be wiring in a kill switch for security. The kill switch is not a big deal but does anyone have a good color list for the wiring going into the steering column on an 89 YJ so I can properly wire in the ignition and starter switches? I poked through a few guides but the wiring diagrams dont' give enough detail for me to find the correct wire in the morass under my dash. Any help is appreciated.

Unread 05-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #2
bisland-yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I installed a switch pannel from Painless (www.painlessperformance.com) that has an ignition toggle, acc toggle, and momentary push button start. After staring at wiring diagrams until my brain hurt i decided to do it the old fashioned way. I disconnected the ignition switch harness that's on top of the steering colum (way up under the dash) and used a jumper wire from the hot lead (the larger gauge red wire) to figure out which wires were ign, acc, and starter. After i figured out how to hook everything up, i ended up mounting the pannel in the cup holder on my tuffy console- it was a near perfect fit. Now my key stays in the ignition to prevent the steering wheel from locking, but serves no purpose other than that.
bisland-yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
QPkid
1990 YJ Wrangler 

How do you find out which wires are which? And then how would you wire all the toggle switches to have piwer. Sorry.. newbie alert newbie alert..
1990 yj 4.2l

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.