Replace cat w/o removing skid plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Replace cat w/o removing skid plate

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 07-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Replace cat w/o removing skid plate

Is this possible? It looks like it can be done, but the logistics of it might prevent it once I get going. Anyone done this?

Also, what size is the clamp that connects the front of the cat to the pipe? Is it the same 2.25" at the cat/muffler joint, or is it smaller? I have an FSM, but it doesn't say.

bryris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know if it could be done or not. I am fighting to get mine off so I can replace the exhaust right now. Hopefully the sawzall will get those last 2 bolts off for me tonight. I will let you know what I find. It will either be tonight or not until Sunday. Not having all tools when needed sucks.
Unread 07-20-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
SimonTuffGuy
[I'm That Good]

When I had mine done, the shop had to remove the skid plate. I've heard it can be done without doing that though...
Unread 07-20-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
pushead

On my 88yj it took 10 minutes for me to pull it off. Skid plate was no problem.
Unread 07-20-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I know on my 4 banger, it can be done without too much problem. But it's easier with the skid plate off.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

There is no reason to try and remove the cat with the skidplate on since the skidplate comes off very easily. The only thing you need is a jack stand to support the tranny.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The jackstand isn't a problem. My concern is that the welds break on the nuts that are welding into the frame. Others on here have had problems with those nuts breaking off. I'd just rather leave it alone if possible.
Unread 07-20-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
jpcomanche

I replaced the entire exhast from the manifold back last weekend and didn't pull the skidplate. It's a little tight, but not really a big deal.
I didn't want to pull the skidplate because the rear driver's side bolt was already broke off and when I tried the others, they didn't want to budge easily. Not worth all that drilling and tapping just to change exhaust.
jpcomanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2006, 11:20 PM   #9
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Every single bolt on my exhaust is a rusty nightmare. I started PB blasting 2 days ago. Every bolt so far has snapped. I a,m doing a full exhaust change but trying to leave on the skidplate as several bolts spin and do not come out. I am not a welder antd am trying to not have to cut, drill, and replace them all. I am having trouble getting any component to come off though. I have taken apart all of the clamps but the pipes seem fused together. Any suggestions for this. If I can't get results soon I will be buying a sawsall tomorrow and going to cut everything. Thanks for any tips. After I got a rediculous estimate of $850 with parts and labor, I just bought everything online for about $270. So far 6 hours and not a single piece off.....$850 sounds great about now, but I want to learn and have the satisfaction that I did it myself.
Unread 07-21-2006, 03:12 AM   #10
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

The shop did mine in about 10 min, 2 years ago, without removing anything. I was watching from the side and it seemed pretty easy. They just sawed the old one off, put the new one in (not original, mind you, but some aftermarket that was just to get me pass the emission tests) and welded it all together.
Really seamed nothing to it at the time...
Unread 07-21-2006, 09:33 AM   #11
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1989yj
Every single bolt on my exhaust is a rusty nightmare. I started PB blasting 2 days ago. Every bolt so far has snapped. I a,m doing a full exhaust change but trying to leave on the skidplate as several bolts spin and do not come out. I am not a welder antd am trying to not have to cut, drill, and replace them all. I am having trouble getting any component to come off though. I have taken apart all of the clamps but the pipes seem fused together. Any suggestions for this. If I can't get results soon I will be buying a sawsall tomorrow and going to cut everything. Thanks for any tips. After I got a rediculous estimate of $850 with parts and labor, I just bought everything online for about $270. So far 6 hours and not a single piece off.....$850 sounds great about now, but I want to learn and have the satisfaction that I did it myself.
It is a bit&^. You aren't going to make any progress without a saw. I tried everything, even tried to rig up a puller to pull the two apart, didn't get anywhere. I went a bought a Dremel tool, and was able to get it off, but even then it was a bit&^. And as it stands now, I am going to have to pull out the Dremel again to remove the cat because it should probably be replaced too.

I am of the conclusion that exhaust basically sucks.
Unread 07-21-2006, 11:28 AM   #12
blue1989yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I am off to the store for a saw. What a PITA.
Unread 07-21-2006, 08:34 PM   #13
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Take it to MIDAS, they'll put your cat on for like 30 bucks. Only takes about 20 minutes with the right tools.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.