Removing windshield - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Removing windshield

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
jural
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Removing windshield

I have begun the prep process for painting. I wanted to remove the windshield from the jeep to sandblast and paint separately. When I tried to remove the bolts with the star bit, most of them stripped out. Is there an easier way to do this? Will I have to drill them out now? Thanks for the advice.

Rob

jural is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

once they're stripped (too easy to do) you've only got a few options

1- weld a nut to the head so you can use a standard socket on it (probably best method to try if you have access to a welder)
2- with a cutoff wheel, cut a slot in the head so you can try and use a flat screwdriver (but if it's that stuck, that slot will probably strip out too... then back to #1)
3- drill it out as large as you can and use an ez-out

good luck
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I drilled the head off the bolt and once I removed the spreader bar could grab what was left with Vise Grips.
Unread 03-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
jural
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have already done some primering around it so I hate to weld. But I may have to. That sounds like the most dependable solution. I will definitely go with some stainless bolts when I put it back together.
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
insaneinline
2013 JK Wrangler 

I did the same thing as bogleparsons , if put stainless make sure you use anti seize on them before putting the bolts back in
insaneinline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #6
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Impact hammer for the bolts, has worked for me. If i don't use it they just strip.. or at least that's the way it is with the windshield frame.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wait....which bolts on the windshield?

Are you removing the entire hinge, or just unbolting the top bolts? If you're taking off the bottom half of the hinge, just drill the rubber-ducker out. There are nuts on the other side that just spin. If you do a search for "YJ mirror relocation bracket install" you'll see what I'm referring to. You pretty much have to take the dash off to get to them.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
jural
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I wanted to completely remove the hinges from the frame. Was going to sandblast them and repaint to remove rust.
Unread 03-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #9
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, just drill them out, then.

Not worth struggling with the old ones. In the process of drilling them out, it should pop off the nut on the other side if it's not already broken loose.

When you reinstall, you just add a regular nut to the backside. (You can put a wrench on when you tighten or just tack weld/adhesive it to prevent needing to take off the dash next time you want to pull that bolt.)

EDIT: I'm only referring to the bottom section of hinge. I don't know about the backside of the upper bolts. Someone more knowledgeable will have to pipe in about that.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
redbullrr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I dremmeled the heads off, and hit it with hammer and screw driver. This was a PITA
redbullrr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 12:31 PM   #11
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

I try with an impact gun first. If the bit slips one time, I drill. No need wasting hours on these old bolts, just drill them out and move on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.